Good metal amp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good metal amp?

i own a BC Rich Bich NJ from 1984 and im about to upgrade the pickups. I plan on getting blackouts so i need an amp that will handle it good. I currently was planning on using a VOX VALVETRONIX AD30VT 30 WATT GUITAR AMPLIFIER but was told that i should upgrade that. I found that amp for $120 so i would like to find a 30watt under $200 if thats possible.

Re: Good metal amp?

Used Peavey Bandit ?
    Tele, SG, LP Jr, '76 Ibanez Artist & Tokai LS92 + FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / '73 Orange OR120 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Orange Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 / Marshall Vintage Modern 50 & 2X12 Genz Benz g-Flex / Laney Klipp / Laney AOR Pro Tube 100

"...it's a tree with a microphone" - Leslie West

Comment

Originally posted by SirJackdeFuzz View Post
      Used Peavey Bandit ?
      That's 100 watts.

Nice thing is that you can get good tones out of it at lower volumes. Throw an EQ in the loop and you'll be able to get any sound you want out of it.

Director of Arizona Young Voters Initiative

https://www.azyoungvoters.org

Twitter:
      @ArizonaVoters

Comment

Newer Bandits would have the power dimension adjust to vary output.
        Originally posted by Bad City
        He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

A Blackstar HT 20???
          Originally posted by Bad City
          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
            Newer Bandits would have the power dimension adjust to vary output.
            That is true. I grabbed an older USA model, because it has a thrash button.

Director of Arizona Young Voters Initiative

https://www.azyoungvoters.org

Twitter:
            @ArizonaVoters

Comment

$200 isn't going to get you much in the way of real tube amps, and the Valvetronix is going to be better than most pure solid state amps. Marshall offers the Valvestate which is another hybrid tube/ss option, so is the Blackstar ID series. However, Roland (BOSS) makes a Cube amp that is very good for the money. This, however, may be your best option: get a used POD, a solid state power amp, and a 1x12 speaker cab and you will have a versatile and affordable rig.

I ran an Eleven Rack and a POD HD through a Crown power amp and 1x12 cab for a while and it gave me the goods up to band practice/small gig volumes. My power amp was not that powerful, so it could have been much louder. You can do quite a lot with a rig like that.

Comment

should i just drop the real money and get a PEAVEY VYPYR 100 MODELING GUITAR AMP 2 X 12 SPEAKERS 100 WATTS for $275?

Comment

If your Vox has a fx loop I highly recommend getting the AMT P1 pedal. You can run it into the FX return and it will sound INSANELY good for the money. You can get one for like $110 used on eBay.

I have the P2 and it sounds crazy close to a real 5150. Miles better than most modeling amps.
                  My Blog: thisismyhatnow.blogspot.com

Originally posted by kevlar3000
                  The smoker is great at adding a few decades, kinda like having Keith Richards breathe on yer guitar for a few hours...
                  Originally posted by CTN
                  I will kill you. Then I will resuscitate you, so you can watch me steal your new Tokai and play some horrible sounding ultra-dissonant death metal on it, then I will kill you again.
                  FOR THE LOVE OF GOD! DC RESISTANCE DOES NOT DETERMINE ACTUAL OUTPUT OF A PICKUP.

Comment

Originally posted by cschneider154 View Post
                    should i just drop the real money and get a PEAVEY VYPYR 100 MODELING GUITAR AMP 2 X 12 SPEAKERS 100 WATTS for $275?
                    No way, not when you can get a Blackstar ID:Core 40 for the same price...

or Rocktron Velocity 50

OR go the used route and get your hands on a Jet City 20w real tube amplifier combo. Then if you want different sounds, you can invest in a pedal here and there later on.

Comment

i think im leaning towards a Vyper tube 60

Comment

Great, you found what you're looking for then. Good luck with it. Let us know how it turns out for you.

Comment

Personally, I would save you some cash to get something that will be more worth your while. In the price range you're in, most amps will be one of those things where you love it for a while and then decide that you don't like it as much as you once did and so you'll be back to making another thread like this in about a year or so.

Keep playing on the amp that you have until you have a bigger budget and then come back. 500-800 dollars will get you something far more decent.

Comment

I think you will be really happy with the Vypyr. It has solid state distortion, not modelling and all the FX you will ever need. Sounds great.

Comment

Try the tube and ss versions, see which one you like more. I am very impressed with these amps.

Comment

Working...
                              X