Tube Change for an Orange Dark Terror

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tube Change for an Orange Dark Terror

Hello all, I'm looking on down the line at changing my tubes in my ORDT15 Dark Terror head. I've had them over a year and I must play on that amp a couple of hours each day if not more. I play in a band and usually we played so much different stuff having to get so many sounds wasn't quite a hassle for the Orange, but it bordered on annoying. With this new covers band I'm making I have more straightforward songs that mesh well. Everything from Green Day to Foo Fighters and AC/DC to newer stuff by Imagine Dragons. We even do a cover of Awolnation's "Sail" which is cool.

My style is pretty rock n roll if not metal. I usually dial that gain to just about 2 o'clock and at times I dip the mids down on the amp. I'm the only guitarist in the band so I can usually get away with scooping them slightly. I tend to shoot either for two sounds, the And Justice For All guitar tone or a more midrange sound close to Green Day's (the amp can get a decent Gun's N Roses style sound out of it even with the gain at one or two o'clock depending on how hard you hit those strings).

The amp is dark. It's very very warm. Getting an early AC/DC sound out of it is easy if you dial the gain down. But since I'm not a fan of getting more distortion from a pedal I would rather keep my rhythms heavy, chugga chugga, but maybe not as dark. That said, when I scoop far to my right the V30 celestions coupled with the JB in my Les Paul get glassy ice picky tone, so I dont ever scoop too far over... tho I would like to. The Master of Puppets guitar tone is ideal metal for me. I like thick bottom ended sound. Any suggestions on better-than-stock tubes?

Re: Tube Change for an Orange Dark Terror

JJ EL-84's and Electroharmonix 12AX7's. It's one of those lucky things where they're perfect for the amp, and happen to be relatively inexpensive and sold at many retailers like Sam Ash.
    Originally posted by Boogie Bill
    I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Working...
    X