Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 10" Replacement speaker for Vox Practice amp

Originally posted by MetalManiac View Post
    Yeah, although for a 4 watt amp, I'm leaning towards a 20 watt speaker, and Greenback is 30 watts, and not very efficient. I guess this is one of those deals where you just gotta pick your poison.
    Don't worry about the numbers, Jerry. The little greenie loves low wattage amps. I've tested it with two 5 watters and a 1w.

Comment

Just thinking about it ... I've spent a lot of hours with my 15 watt Laney running the pair of 10" Greenbacks at very low volume ... with the amp delivering maybe four to six watts to the speakers. The sound has always been wonderful.

Indeed the Greenbacks are less efficient and might turn your four-watt amp into a three-watt amp. But ... who cares ? At those levels it doesn't really make any difference ... if you want more than five watts, use a bigger amp. Besides, any percieved loss of output is more than compensated for by the greatly-improved sound. The bigger low-end response is a great help in making small amps sound like their bigger brothers.

As a point of interest, the original Vox AC4 had an EL84 power tube but the preamp was an EF86, which is a pentode, not a dual triode like the 12AX7. It provides a fat, darker tone, with just a volume and tone control (they also had tremolo).
      Lumbering dinosaur (what's a master volume control?)

STALKER NO STALKING !

Comment

Celestian makes a 10" Greenback that is supposed to be nice, as well as an Alnico Blue. Both are recommended replacements for the Vox AC4TV. Might work for you. Be forewarned, the Blue is expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by njstoehr View Post
          Celestian makes a 10" Greenback that is supposed to be nice, as well as an Alnico Blue. Be forewarned, the Blue is expensive.
          The Celestion 12" range features both an Alnico Blue model (15 watts RMS) and an Alnico Gold (50 watts RMS).

The only Alnico model in the 10" range is the Alnico Gold, rated at 40 watts RMS. There is no Alnico Blue in the 10" range.

Lumbering dinosaur (what's a master volume control?)

STALKER NO STALKING !

Comment

Working...
          X