question regarding electrolytic capacitors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• question regarding electrolytic capacitors

So I've got a marshall valvestate which is a fusion of a solid state amp with valves , no idea I'm not much of an amplifier expert I know guitars in and out.

What I'm replacing is the C28 electrolytic capacitor, it's blown and I can't get distortion at all. I'm 90% sure I got the right capacitor I just have two questions
    #1 - does it mean anything special when F2 is stamped on a capacitor

#2 - for the guys who mod amplifiers if its possible to switch to other types of capacitors what would you swap the capacitor with for a more dark , aggressive and metal tone out of this amplifier.

The exact amp is a marshall valvestate VS30
    the capacitor I've seen is
    63v
    2.2uf
    030 ko series
    philips brand
    it's this cobalt blue kind like this

Re: question regarding electrolytic capacitors

that might be one of the "tone caps"... coupling caps(?) . I'd go with a Mullard 150.. and Sozo for Marshall. For the big E-lytic Filter caps...use Illinois..it makes no difference in tone, they are cheap, and Peavey bulletproof amps use them.Hopefully someone like Crusty or other techs here can elaborate.I'm only a novice.
    Last edited by MetalManiac; 03-09-2014, 06:43 PM.
    "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Comment

Not to worry I appreciate your input. Yeah I got a mexican fender a few days ago and the guy threw in this amp, a big step up from the 15 watt I use to test wiring mods and so forth but amps are a totally new thing for me. So with the mullard 150 or sozo are they the same 63v and so forth? links are appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by Tallwood13 View Post
        Not to worry I appreciate your input. Yeah I got a mexican fender a few days ago and the guy threw in this amp, a big step up from the 15 watt I use to test wiring mods and so forth but amps are a totally new thing for me. So with the mullard 150 or sozo are they the same 63v and so forth? links are appreciated.
        I think so. You can also use Mallory 'PS' "orange drops' ( kind of the best of both world s between the MAllory Metal ( mylar?) Film /Sozo Marshall caps and the Polyester/ Polyproylene type Mallory 'PS' caps . Just generalizing from my notes I have . Weber also sells tone caps, as does Mojo ( Dijon), and Cornell-Dubulier (Wima?) Just scratching the surface. Ive got scores of notes on this stuff, and don't know much though.
        Last edited by MetalManiac; 03-09-2014, 08:07 PM.
        "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Comment

Nothing special about the [ F2 ]

That's a lot to pay for a cap like that . Try some where like here. - http://au.mouser.com/Passive-Compone...yyc4mbZ1z0z819 - Colour and brand do not matter, just the values [ 2.2 ufd/63volt/axial electrolytic ]

For modding these, no idea specifically but you'd be changing resistors as well and maybe chips.
          sigpic

- http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...?bandID=804435 -
          - https://soundcloud.com/mr-ds-bigband/tracks -

Warning: May contain traces of NUTS

Comment

Originally posted by GoldenVulture View Post
            Nothing special about the [ F2 ]

That's a lot to pay for a cap like that . Try some where like here. - http://au.mouser.com/Passive-Compone...yyc4mbZ1z0z819 - Colour and brand do not matter, just the values [ 2.2 ufd/63volt/axial electrolytic ]

For modding these, no idea specifically but you'd be changing resistors as well and maybe chips.
            Wait. Filter capacitors ..the big eletrolytics do not matter in tone. Tone caps are HUGE!You want to weigh your options there. Vulture..do you mean that the 2.2 ufd/63V is a filter capacitor?

Comment

this may help solve some questions to help me which kind of capacitor it is. If the F2 doesn't matter on it I've got a match. If so now for the fun part , which kind of capacitor would you guys go with for a more modern metal sound.

Click image for larger version

Name:	actual.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	5776409

and the schematic via PDF form

Comment

You look hungry. Hungry for knowledge, so Ima feed'ja.;

The four functions of capacitors in guitar amps: power supply filter caps, cathode bypass caps, stage coupling caps and tone caps. How capacitance values relate to the tone and feel of a guitar amp.

Hovland capacitors, Mallory capacitors, ceramic disk metalized polyester capacitors, vintage cloth wire, Switchcraft output jacks

Capacitors in values suited for amps, Fender Groove Tube 6L6 GE replacement tubes for modifying or repairing amplifiers

Last edited by MetalManiac; 03-10-2014, 05:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tallwood13 View Post
                  this may help solve some questions to help me which kind of capacitor it is. If the F2 doesn't matter on it I've got a match. If so now for the fun part , which kind of capacitor would you guys go with for a more modern metal sound.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]51806[/ATTACH]

and the schematic via PDF form
                  http://www.drtube.com/schematics/mar...vs30-60-02.pdf
                  The cap type won't make a difference for changing the amps characteristics; that's down to circuit design.
                  Warmoth Group @ Flickr : SDUGF group @ SoundCloud : Basic Guitar Setup

Blog @ Izdihar.com : Pics @ Flickr

I dream of a better world, where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned

Comment

What I'm replacing is the C28 electrolytic capacitor, it's blown and I can't get distortion at all
                    Are you saying that the distortion channel works, but it sounds clean, or that the distortion channel does not work at all?

Comment

Originally posted by MetalManiac View Post
                      You look hungry. Hungry for knowledge, so Ima feed'ja.;

The four functions of capacitors in guitar amps: power supply filter caps, cathode bypass caps, stage coupling caps and tone caps. How capacitance values relate to the tone and feel of a guitar amp.

Hovland capacitors, Mallory capacitors, ceramic disk metalized polyester capacitors, vintage cloth wire, Switchcraft output jacks

http://4sale.sbszoo.com/caps2.htm
                      Thanks I appreciate the links I'll check them out now, I saw the inside of this marshall and now all of a sudden I'm interested , so we'll see. I mean Mike fortin is pretty much down the road from me but I figure why waste the mans time with such a simple question. Guitar electronics I'm great with so why not take the plunge.

Comment

@brian
                        for the clean it's proper functioning, just when i switch to distortion you get a bit of sound at first and then it cuts out as if the cap can't handle it. The only thing I see wrong with the amplifier at this point in time is the blown electrolytic capacitor in the photo so if all else fails I'll see what I can do here as you guys have been very helpful.

Comment

@chris Alright perfect , in this case I've found the exact cap on good old ebay. Thanks for the input.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris of Arabia View Post
                            The cap type won't make a difference for changing the amps characteristics; that's down to circuit design.
                            True for the most part I think. Plus you've got to stick to that form factor ( size), so it will fit, otherwise you are going to have to do some modifying the leads.
                            In that particular circuit, unless you wanted t get invasive and change out all those small blue caps, you'd be better off just replacing the original one and have done with it. Id be more concerned that theres an underlying problem that caused that cap to fry.
                            I have no idea what I'm talking about, but this is one of the ways I try and get more up to speed on this stuff.And another reason is that TGWIF probably doesn't know much about this stuff, so I can have one thing that I can stay ahead of the curve on him! lolz.
                            Last edited by MetalManiac; 03-09-2014, 10:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MetalManiac View Post
                              Id be more concerned that theres an underlying problem that caused that cap to fry.
                              ^^ This! Generally speaking, that kind of damage to a cap is the the result of too high a voltage being applied to it. The probable cause would be a resister leading to the HT feed, or one to the ground going short circuit, thereby raising the voltage across the cap itself. I'd get your amp to someone who understands amps better.
                              Warmoth Group @ Flickr : SDUGF group @ SoundCloud : Basic Guitar Setup

Blog @ Izdihar.com : Pics @ Flickr

I dream of a better world, where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned

Comment

Working...
                              X