albion tc35

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• albion tc35

Tried one of these yesterday. Weird amp. One of those that, on paper, seems like it would be the perfect amp - in wattage, features, designer, hand-wired, blah blah. Price not bad either (used combo was $399 - same price as new head version on zzounds and AMS right now [resealed]).

Pretty much sounded like this video with gain turned up - buzzy/fuzzy/weird:

I don't get it. Dude has a chance to make a killer little amp and when you turn the gain up, palm mutes just don't work. This could have been a marshall killer if the gain was just a bit nicer (it has enough gain, just not all that pleasant). Do designers not hear that farty type stuff or what? Maybe it harkens back to some type of 60s fuzz pedal into marshall stack thing? I'm guessing they focus on open chords, the clean channel, and so on.

Maybe if I spent more time with it, I dunno. Maybe less gain on the amp with an OD in front? Anyone that has one want to chime in?
    Last edited by DankStar; 03-13-2014, 12:49 PM.

Re: albion tc35

I've checked out the EL-34 heads and they sound a bit better. I think it's gotta be tough as an amp builder to please everyone. If it's got too little gain, rock/metal players complain. If it's got enough or too much gain, it's accused of being buzzy sounding. I guess not everyone can be Reinhold Bogner.

That demo guy......was he raised by his grandmother? LOL
    Originally posted by Boogie Bill
    I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

True. I plugged in with a bias already in my head - I was hoping for a cheaper, nicely made 4010 in sheep's clothing.
      Last edited by DankStar; 03-13-2014, 02:17 PM.

Comment

My local shop had almost the entire line of Albion amps, about 2 years ago.

I tried all the valve models they had.

IMveryHO, they all sounded like utter crApp

Funny thing is, my local/national guitar forum have some members who love these things . . . oh well.
        Tele, SG, LP Jr, '76 Ibanez Artist & Tokai LS92 + FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / '73 Orange OR120 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Orange Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 / Marshall Vintage Modern 50 & 2X12 Genz Benz g-Flex / Laney Klipp / Laney AOR Pro Tube 100

"...it's a tree with a microphone" - Leslie West

Comment

Working...
        X