english made vintage 30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• english made vintage 30

i ordered a custom made marshall cab with vintage 30s (1960 AHW). when i opened it up i was pleasantly surprised to see "made in UK" sticker on the side of the magnets.

the sticker on the back of the magnet looks like this...

i thought the v30s are made in china.

Re: english made vintage 30

Not all of them, no. I believe that Mesa-Boogie still use a version of the V30 in their products, and they get theirs from the UK - I wouldn't be too surprised to find those aren't the only ones Celestion produce in the UK.
    Warmoth Group @ Flickr : SDUGF group @ SoundCloud : Basic Guitar Setup

Blog @ Izdihar.com : Pics @ Flickr

I dream of a better world, where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned

Comment

Marshall and Mesa both have a slightly tweaked to spec UK version of the V30 that go in their cabs/combos.
      I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

The Marshall HW cab usually comes I think with UK made Heritage g12-30's, so for the money you pay for those cabs, they obviously replaced those with the English-made Vintage 30's (which I assume you ordered for the cab instead of the stock speakers). Marshal does make OEM UK speakers for some companies (like Mesa which was mentioned). The 10" Greenbacks are also made in the UK, even though they are not Heritage model speakers. You ordered a premium cab, so they equipped it with premium speakers.

Al

Comment

If it makes you happy then thats what really matters but FWIW, I defy anyone to hear a difference in a MIUK and a MIC version of a Celestion speaker assuming they are the same version of the same model.

There is a clip on UTOOB of a MIC V30 and a Boogie spec MIUK version and he goes on and on and on about how much thinner the MIC speaker sounds but the Boogie version of the V30 has more low mids and more true low end so thats what he's hearing.

The MIC Celestions use the same parts as they did when they were all MIUK and most amp builders that use them say that since the move to China quality control has actually gotten tighter.

Just my un asked for 2 cents...
          If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire View Post
            ...most amp builders that use them say that since the move to China quality control has actually gotten tighter.
            That's certainly what Celestion claims.

I hope it's true.
            “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

I've also researched the differences between 2 of the same Celestions on forums and Youtube etc..The newer ones sound as good as the UK made.The 4 that are in my 4x12 Marshall are UK and so are the 2 in my Vox cab.
              Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Originally posted by Zombiwoof View Post
                The Marshall HW cab usually comes I think with UK made Heritage g12-30's, so for the money you pay for those cabs, they obviously replaced those with the English-made Vintage 30's (which I assume you ordered for the cab instead of the stock speakers). Marshal does make OEM UK speakers for some companies (like Mesa which was mentioned). The 10" Greenbacks are also made in the UK, even though they are not Heritage model speakers. You ordered a premium cab, so they equipped it with premium speakers.

Al
                the mesa v30 has a different voicing and it's an 8 ohm speaker. i believe marshall's v30s have always been 16 ohm.

anyways it sounds fantastic. nice detail and depth. no mud. on celestion's website the v30 isn't offered as a heritage (UK made) model.

Comment

Originally posted by Lewguitar View Post
                  That's certainly what Celestion claims.

I hope it's true.
                  From what I can tell it's true. The earliest MIC Celestions had some QC issues, but they seem to have sorted them rather quickly. Unfortunately the bad rap from that situation has been much harder to sort.
                  Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                  And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Originally posted by esandes View Post
                    the mesa v30 has a different voicing and it's an 8 ohm speaker. i believe marshall's v30s have always been 16 ohm.

anyways it sounds fantastic. nice detail and depth. no mud. on celestion's website the v30 isn't offered as a heritage (UK made) model.
                    The Mesa V30 is actually the original voicing of the V30 when celestion changed it to make it easier to manufacture mesa didnt like it and so had celestion give them a new T number for the old version of the speaker its now an OEM only item. Here are the T numbers

T3903 Standard 8 ohm These are now made in china
                    T3904 Standard 16 ohm Same with these
                    T3987 Marshall OEM 16 ohm
                    T4416 Mesa OEM 16 ohm
                    T4335 Mesa OEM 8 ohm

As you can see Mesa has both 16 and 8 ohm versions.
                    "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
                    you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

I have an 8 ohm Marshall V30 but it from the 80s. I also have a set of 8 ohm V30s sourced from Mesa from the 90s. The Mesa's sound a bit darker. I think the Marshall one sounds a bit creamier.

Comment

Working...
                      X