X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ANYONE KNOW ABOUT CARVIN AMPS?

Originally posted by grumptruck
    Ye$ he doe$

I am all about guitar hero gear (I have Paul Gilbert's pups) but you have to take most reviews and endorsements from famous peeps with a grain of salt.
    Most yes, but Vai helped design the Legacy and has usd them since 1999. A little different than Malmsteen saying her used Crate

Comment

Originally posted by hydro View Post
      Sorry to jack the thread but I thought Peavy was USA made (I am talking about the 6500 series)?

FWIW I have generally heard good things about Carvin as value tube amps.
      Some of the PVs are made in the USA. I know the Classic series is for sure, not sure about their other lines.

Comment

The Legacy 3 is bad ass. You have to use your ears to dial it in but once you do it is a beast. The L3 and a Tweaker 15 for some vox/fender things have have mostly replaced my vintage amps in the studio

Comment

Originally posted by dominus View Post
          H&K Warp is solid state. Awesome amp.
          the HK distortion is sick. I really like it. I think it's 3 Days Grace uses them? I haaaaate the band but their guitar tone is bretty gud
          Originally posted by Funkfingers
          Music is for life. Without parole.

Comment

Vai used the x100b for many years before helping design the Legacy. I believe he got his first one for Frank.
            Where Words Fail, Music Speaks
            If a positive attitude is a Magnet for positive results, what type positive attitude sounds best, A2, A5, UOA5, A8, C8, or?

Comment

Carvin amps are superb !! Great build, great tones and the Legacy 3 sounds gorgeous through my 2x12 V30s

I've had the Legacy 1 (too heavy and too loud), XV combo (nice), Nomad (good for pedals but very low gain) and now the Legacy 3 to replace a Boogie (no comparison at all)

Cleans like a Lonestar and 2 gain channels full of elastic depth - easy to set up and the Steve Vai video tones will be found within 5 minutes at bedroom or stage volume. Forget the naff "dark" reviews, they set the presence control like a Marshall and gave up trying harder, I've never had a presence control like it before - great tool

I'm playing a custom strat and a Carvin CT4 at the same settings - gorgeous !!

I also tried the V3M but is sounded thin compared to the Legacy 3

Comment

I have a vintage 80's XV-212 along with a matching 4X12 cab. I love the thing. Cleans are pristine and there is a very functional presence knob. Gain chanel is Marshallesqe with a high gain option via push pull. Plus a switchable 5 way eq. There is also a power scaling switch, effects loop and 4,8,16 ohm output switch. Oh and a three switch foot pedal.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by dominus View Post
                  H&K Warp is solid state. Awesome amp.

The WARP is all tube !

http://img.audiofanzine.com/image.ph...oduct_id=23008 <--- 6L6 monster !
                  Tele, SG, LP Jr, '76 Ibanez Artist & Tokai LS92 + FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / '73 Orange OR120 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Orange Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 / Marshall Vintage Modern 50 & 2X12 Genz Benz g-Flex / Laney Klipp / Laney AOR Pro Tube 100

"...it's a tree with a microphone" - Leslie West

Comment

That's the Warp X.

They also had the Warp T (Tube), which I believe predated that one.

The Warp 7 is the solid state one, and I think it was the first "Warp" amp they made.

Director of Arizona Young Voters Initiative

https://www.azyoungvoters.org

Twitter:
                    @ArizonaVoters

Comment

RE: Carvin amp Reasonable price made in usa, great customer service. The older ones had the fuzzy covering. After that mostly black,unless you buy new. I had a new x100b ,I ordered with black and white snake skin,looked great. Amp can do fender like cleans,to almost metal. EQ took long time to dial in,but once you experiment,very versatile loud amp. Google carvin x100b amp demos,and there are some very good demos. Hope this helps,Rockon Thanks,Codyboy.

Comment

I have an 80's XV212 combo that I run through an 80's half stack with the 12M-70's. Love it. Especially when running my TT- Mayhem into the clean channel while using the onboard 5 band eq to tweak the sound.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by jon the art guy View Post
                          The x100b is the thing that Frank Zappa played. It has a very robust EQ section, a british voice and a gain that will put you in Mesa mk1 territories. They're also DIRT cheap, mainly because they're ugly as heck. Apparently the fuzzy gray ones are really nice, and you can get them for $300.
                          Here's my grey fuzzy...

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4184.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	130.4 KB
ID:	5792089

'94 mint condition...excellent amp! Running a matched quad of old Svetlana Winged C EL-34's...yum!
                          Found for 2 bills on Craigslist!

I've finally quit buying dirt pedals because of this amp. The EQ is so good on this amp I could mimic
                          and surpass the tone coming out of all the high end pedals I was trying.
                          Last edited by saladin; 02-21-2016, 12:36 AM.
                          Trainspotter

"...the real key is a good warm delay and lots of lysergic acid diethylamid"

Comment

Originally posted by jackson111 View Post
                            I have even had people tell me they don't really build the amp but they a re made in mexico by another company and they just relabel it.
                            Whoever is saying this doesn't know what they're talking about.
                            Fender has amps built in Mexico, not Carvin. And those Mexican built Fenders aren't bad amps.

As for bad things you hear about Carvin's quality, 35 years ago their amp line had a lot of funky solid state amps and people didn't regard them highly. It's funny how these perceptions stay around.

I have a relative who has gigged with his Carvin Vintage 16 combo for years and hasn't had a problem.
                            I'd like to get my hands on the Legacy 3.

Originally posted by jackson111 View Post
                            btw I am in 2 different bands one plays classic and southern rock and easy rock like Fleetwood mac and csn. the other plays everything from country to full on metal like stone sour and bullet for my valentine. any help would be greatly appreciated, I can try all the amps I am looking at except the carvins.
                            That's a lot of musical ground to cover. I don't have experience with the Carvin V3, but if you need an amp to do all this, it might narrow your choice to that one.
                            The Carvin Vintage series is highly regarded, and as I mentioned, my relative's Vintage 16 has been performing great for him at his gigs. They'll do country, pop, classic rock, just maybe not the full on metal.
                            "Just like bad gas, they (metal riffs) sneak out every once in a while."
                            Jah Paul Jo - Dread Zeppelin
                            guitar pic site
                            Original prog rock on soundcloud
                            Original ambient guitar pieces on soundcloud
                            Original blues on soundcloud.com

Comment

Working...
                            X