Got the VOX bug

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got the VOX bug

I've been wanting to check out the AC15 and AC30 for while now. I finally got a chance to play through each today. All I can say is WOW. I love gain tone and the clean is great too.

The only problem is I can't justify getting an amp that really only has one usable tone.

What make the VOX special is the Top Cut knob. Can someone explain to me how that works and if I can be replicated?

Re: Got the VOX bug

I think the tone cut allows more or less highs into the power section. the off position is cutting out a lot of the oddball twinkly little highs Voxes get, and when the cut in in the "dimed" position it's allowing the power section to push out as much of the highs as it wants. It pretty much just takes that Vox character out of the sound while retaining the honk of those speakers.

It might be useful in twangy guitars (like a Telecaster Custom?) or if you're a pedal guy and want to make the sound a little less pokey.
    Originally posted by Funkfingers
    Music is for life. Without parole.

Comment

Electronically I'm not sure how a 'cut' knob on a Vox works, but it behaves like a presence knob in reverse. You'll get the brightest sound with the 'cut' all of the way down, and the amp will get darker as you turn it up. Personally I like to run the cut knob between 9 and 11 o'clock.
      Last edited by dystrust; 05-04-2014, 09:12 PM. Reason: grammar fail.
      Originally posted by crusty philtrum
      And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Have you ever seen a Marshall "fizz cap" .?
        Put a pot in series with the cap, and you have a cut control.
        It will balance (or unbalance) the out of phase signal from the phase inverter to the power tubes.
        And yes...similar to a presence knob...and dependent on the cap value.

But I have to question the opinion that thinks the AC30 has one useable tone.....
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gY73mb28orM
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35mZ4BAvEbg
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nToonE52DG8
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMl-ddFbSF0

Comment

I run my AC30C2 clean with pedals for dirt and such (+ the built in verb and trem). I can't really say I'm in need of more sounds than my own...

Comment

Originally posted by zzmoore View Post

But I have to question the opinion that thinks the AC30 has one useable tone.....
            Me too.

Rory Gallagher, The Beatles, The Stones, Tom Petty, Bryan Adams, U2, Brian May, Status Quo, and many many more artists from a very wide range of styles, genres and eras have built their names on the Vox sound over the last half century.

If you think Vox has only one useable sound, you may need to re-evaluate the way you hear things.
            Lumbering dinosaur (what's a master volume control?)

STALKER NO STALKING !

Comment

It's not unusable. Just not what I need. My Twin gets the right clean tone. But I do like the AC30 drive sound with the Top Cut turned almost all the way up.

Comment

Originally posted by crusty philtrum View Post
                Me too.

Rory Gallagher, The Beatles, The Stones, Tom Petty, Bryan Adams, U2, Brian May, Status Quo, and many many more artists from a very wide range of styles, genres and eras have built their names on the Vox sound over the last half century.

If you think Vox has only one useable sound, you may need to re-evaluate the way you hear things.
                The AC30 does only have one usable sound: The sound of awesome!

Comment

I've been debating on whether I should get into Voxes.

I always assumed they were a niche sound, good for vintage Brit stuff. I'm starting to think that they have similarities to the revered Fender Deluxe as far as the can-do combo, only they do it with a slightly odd accent.
                  Originally posted by Funkfingers
                  Music is for life. Without parole.

Comment

Originally posted by Telecustom View Post
                    The only problem is I can't justify getting an amp that really only has one usable tone.
                    beats the hell out of any line 6
                    "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                    Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

I intend to get a Voxy amp one day, love the sparkly rich clean sound and drive with a treble booster in front, like the way a certain curly haired British guitarist does it.

If I want versatility, I switch pups or guitars. Having an amp with an awesome baseline tone is all I need.
                      Originally posted by dominus
                      Your rant would sound better with an A8 magnet, it'll beef it up some without sacrificing some of the whine.

Comment

Working...
                      X