banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tried the effects loop levels trick with my Mesa Triple Rec today.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tried the effects loop levels trick with my Mesa Triple Rec today.

Today in my usual daily research into amp mods and what not I ran across a thread on thegearpage.com where somebody said that a guy can drive the poweramp section of a Mesa Recto by turning up the FX loop send level and tighten up the bottom end by turning the FX loop return level down.

So I figured, screw it, its worth a try. I plugged a jumper cable that you'd normally use in between stompboxes into the loop, cranked the send and turned the return all the way down. And HOLY **** it sounded good. I've never been able to stand turning that amp up enough to really get the power section cookin, but this did the trick.

The clean channel is useless for cleans in this configuration unless you roll off of the guitar volume quite a bit, but in pushed mode with those EL34s in the power section cooking, it reminded me a little bit of a Plexi, although the nuances in the tone were different. If you could imagine a Fender type preamp slamming into EL34s, that's the basic tone.

On the distortion channels, it just plain flat out sounded mean. Meaner that I've ever heard this amp sound. The bottom end tightened up to the point that I ended up turning up the bass knob on both channels, which yielded a sastifying low end thump at a lower frequency than usual. The mids tightened up too and gave me a really nice and chewy buzzsaw type of grind. Something I've never been able to get out of this amp either.

It makes me wish that this one was a Multi-Watt Recto so I could have the headroom on the clean channel and knock it down to 50 watts on the distortion channels.
    Wanted: 1982 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Serial Number 82232531.

Re: Tried the effects loop levels trick with my Mesa Triple Rec today.

Sounds interesting. Think it would work for my Dual Rec?
    Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
    My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

awesome, i really would like to know whether mesa has any specific reasons as to not overdrive their 6L6 powerstages. now i know there are very good reasons as stated here for overdriving a EL-34 power stage. do u think overdriving a 6L6 is not as productive. Theoretically i can see reasons for not doin that, but just wanna know what really happens if u do that.

Comment

Originally posted by TwilightOdyssey View Post
        Sounds interesting. Think it would work for my Dual Rec?
        It should.

Originally posted by koshikas View Post
        awesome, i really would like to know whether mesa has any specific reasons as to not overdrive their 6L6 powerstages. now i know there are very good reasons as stated here for overdriving a EL-34 power stage. do u think overdriving a 6L6 is not as productive. Theoretically i can see reasons for not doin that, but just wanna know what really happens if u do that.
        6L6s can be overdriven too, they just sound a little different.

ETA: Some poweramp distortion does come from the Phase Inverter tube as well, so the tube you have in there will also effect the tone. I like to run a JJ in the PI hole because of the growl I get out of my amps with that particular brand.
        Last edited by Gone_Shootin; 05-24-2014, 06:26 AM.

Comment

Pretty much the same as using one of those "volume boxes" from ebay (which are just a potentiometer between 2 jacks).

Worked ok with my former jcm800.
          Glad it's working for you, I didn't know that trick wasn't common knowledge. Have fun!

Comment

Originally posted by Surgeon View Post
            Pretty much the same as using one of those "volume boxes" from ebay (which are just a potentiometer between 2 jacks).

Worked ok with my former jcm800.
            Glad it's working for you, I didn't know that trick wasn't common knowledge. Have fun!
            I tried something similar with my Marshall JVM. I jumped the preamp FX loop and turned it's level up, but all it did was make the amp louder. I suppose I could try boosting in the poweramp insert loop, but since I did the PI Negative Feedback mod, all I have to do is turn a knob to get the Poweramp section to distort at lower volumes.

Comment

Oh, I didn't read the initial post correctly, you wrote "UP" but my mind read "down"...

With my marshall I just built a volume box (again, pot between two jacks"
              , plugged it in the effects loop and tuned it down, that lowered the volume of the amp.

I really never tried it your way. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Comment

Oh, I didn't read the initial post correctly, you wrote "UP" but my mind read "down"...

With my marshall I just built a volume box (again, pot between two jacks"
                , plugged it in the effects loop and tuned it down, that lowered the volume of the amp.

I really never tried it your way. Sorry for the misunderstanding.
                That's alright. Mesa Rectos are a different animal than a Marshall with an FX loop. Where a Marshall might have one level knob or nothing at all, the Recto has two level knobs. One for send and another return. For some reason with the loop jumped, the send knob controls how hard the preamp hits the poweramp and the return controls how tight the amp sounds. Kinda weird, but it works.
                Last edited by Gone_Shootin; 05-25-2014, 11:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gone_Shootin View Post
                  That's alright. Mesa Rectos are a different animal than a Marshall with an FX loop. Where a Marshall might have one level knob or nothing at all, the Recto has two level knobs. One for send and another return. For some reason with the loop jumped, the send knob controls how hard the preamp hits the poweramp and the return controls how tight the amp sounds. Kinda weird, but it works.
                  See, I have a RectoVerb and didn't realize this, mostly because I use almost no effects and when I do they're in front, not in the loop...now I'll have to give it a shot! thank you

Comment

See, I have a RectoVerb and didn't realize this, mostly because I use almost no effects and when I do they're in front, not in the loop...now I'll have to give it a shot! thank you
                    Cool, post back and let us know how it worked for you!

Comment

So does this trick work on all Mesas with effects loops?

Comment

Originally posted by EET_FUK View Post
                        So does this trick work on all Mesas with effects loops?
                        I don't know, I supoose if it has controls for both send and return, it's worth a try. It's not like it's a permanent mod or anything. If it doesn't work, just put the levels back and just unplug the cable you're using to jump the send & return jacks.

Comment

Working...
                        X