Which Modeling Practice Amp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Modeling Practice Amp?

I am thinking about buying a modeling amp, but I haven't had a chance to compare them in person. Which amps are you using and what are the pros and cons of each?
    Peavey Vyper 30
    17.65%
    Roland Cube 40
    5.88%
    Vox VT40
    5.88%
    Fender Mustang II
    35.29%
    Line 6 Spider IV
    5.88%
    Blackstar ID core 40
    29.41%

Re: Which Modeling Practice Amp?

Vox vt15. Super cheap, used. Enough models to stay happy and most of them sound good. The effects section can be pretty deeply edited. Tube output tone. I wish it had a bigger speaker though. Also, no computer interface.
    Fender Mustang has a full set of amps and effects, as well as it acts like a USB interface with a REALLY deep revalver-like computer modeling setup. The mustang 5 head goes for 175 used and has full stereo fx loop and power section out @75w a side if running pedal preamps was your thing.
    Acoustic makes a good sounding, cheap amp with a few " models". Probably not digital.
    The fender Champion series is similar, but after trying a couple I wasn't amazed. Go for the super champ x2 instead and get a full tube power section with either a digital or analog preamp.
    Originally posted by Funkfingers
    Music is for life. Without parole.

Comment

I have not owned or used the specific models cited. I currently own and use a SansAmp PSA-1 rack unit. Previously I used a Line6 Flextronics III for almost 10 years until it died.

I have played a Vox Valvetronics 120 and have been in a band with a guitarist who played a Spyder. Depends on the sound you need, but my takeaway is the Line6/Vetta engine stuff was the best if you have to change amps and styles frequently, but the Spyder line didn't sound right to me - sounded more like cheap copies of an amp. The Vox was the best at doing Marshall / Plexi sounds, better even than recent Marshall EL-34 combo amps I tried at the same time. However, I do not know if the VT40 is using the same sound emulation at the VT 120 was.

Also, with a smaller format and speaker, that could take away from a good emulation. I guess as long as the cabinet is a good solid cab, with good wood or the right number of plys, and at least 12" speaker (which could be upgraded if needed). If you can, play them first. That in person trial really made all the difference in making a good decision for me.

Comment

Also with the vox amps, they put out an xl series that are more high again style amp models instead of the low gain to vintage mid gain that the regular vt delivers.

Comment

I like the Vox amps.
          Romans 3:23; 6:23; 5:8; 10:13; 10:9-10

Teknon Theou
          https://youtube.com/channel/UCo848I2...e4jKB5DNZ4Y7hs
          Complaining that there are hypocrites in church is like complaining that fat people use the gym. Where else would you have them be?

Comment

I have a VT40+. It sounds like absolute turd. I hear the newer models are much improved, though.

Comment

Me too. The ad15v I'm borrowing from a friend is a really nice sounding amp. I do wish they had a USB interface on them, but beggars can't be choosers i guess.

Comment

Well I have been listening to demo's on youtube and what I can say from the demos:
                Vox - so far I think they have the best distortion sounds and each model seems to have character rather than just being EQ changes. The effects are also dramatic.
                Peavey - I expected the most from this amp, but it just sounds like the same distortion with different EQ settings.
                Roland - Ho hum models, but good effects.
                Fender - The clean sounds are pretty good, but the distorted tones are dark and muffled.
                Blackstar - Good distortion sounds with decent clarity.
                Line 6 - Sounds a bit thin and bright.

Comment

I've got an ID30 and I love it for couch jamming in the living room. My JVM doesn't even get used anymore. Now if I was to gig the ID30 wouldn't cut it..but for noodling around the home it's great. Blackstar's little 1 watt tube unit is really cool too...that's my attic jam rig.

Comment

Go to GC and buy 2 used Vox Ad30vs and run them in stereo. Not only will you have a surprisingly good small rig, you'll also probably make it out for under $200. The non AD ones are markedly worse. If you find an old blue tolex AD combo, GET IT.

Comment

I have a.Cube it's nice good sounding amp
                      Had a Peavey Vyper. It was ok sounded good but was a bit fragile feeling like if you dropped it on its corner it would lay flat
                      Got a digitech floor pedal and a powered pa speaker that sounds good
                      Probably easiest to load in and out

Played a mustang it was cool not better than anything I have

My buddy has a Peavey bandit
                      He raves about how he prefers it to his twin
                      Not cause it sounds better just less fragile and heavy

*(Sent from my durned phone!)*
                      Last edited by ehdwuld; 07-03-2014, 11:36 AM.
                      EHD
                      Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                      RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                      SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                      Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                      Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                      Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                      Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                      GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

I had a little cube and it worked pretty well for me. I thought the Blackface tone was pretty decent too.

I know it's not an amp, but the AmpliTube iPhone app is pretty fun to play with too.

sigpic

Comment

hehe didn't know it was a poll as I was on my phone. Out of the possibilities, I'd go with the Mustang over the VT40. If you put a Vypyr V.I.P. on there I would probably aim for that since it also does bass well.

Comment

The Peavey Vypyr VIP series is the newer one, which sounds a lot better than the older one. I use a VIP 1 for teaching, and it has some great sounds. USB recording & editing, and an mp3 aux input too.
                            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Peavey has a new VIP series coming that will be solid state rather than digital.

I'd say it really depends on your needs.

Director of Arizona Young Voters Initiative

https://www.azyoungvoters.org

Twitter:
                              @ArizonaVoters

Comment

Working...
                              X