banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How would a 2x15 or 4x15 cab for lead guitar sound?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How would a 2x15 or 4x15 cab for lead guitar sound?

Anybody ever tried one or had the idea? Just curious.
    Originally posted by KBliss
    WELCOME TO THE FORUM! Make sure you spend more time playing than you do on this forum. That's our sickness.
    Originally posted by trevorus
    The revolutionaries become the bureaucrats the day after the revolution is over...

Re: How would a 2x15 or 4x15 cab for lead guitar sound?

Big.

I've had two separate amps with 15 inch speakers (a Fender Twin Custom, and a Peavey Delta Blues). They both sounded particularly big. I like 15 inch speakers for guitar (particularly for cleans and low gain sounds) but I don't like getting speaker breakup from them, they seem to "woof" out a lot more at high volumes in an unpleasant way.
    Originally posted by Good Will Hunting
    Real loss is only possible when you love something more than you love yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Lamprecht View Post
      Big.

I've had two separate amps with 15 inch speakers (a Fender Twin Custom, and a Peavey Delta Blues). They both sounded particularly big. I like 15 inch speakers for guitar (particularly for cleans and low gain sounds) but I don't like getting speaker breakup from them, they seem to "woof" out a lot more at high volumes in an unpleasant way.
      About how heavy were they? Heavier than a 2x12?
      Originally posted by KBliss
      WELCOME TO THE FORUM! Make sure you spend more time playing than you do on this forum. That's our sickness.
      Originally posted by trevorus
      The revolutionaries become the bureaucrats the day after the revolution is over...

Comment

It would be heavy. Very heavy.
        Custom neck-thru strat
        1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
        1995 PRS CE24
        D'avanzo #8
        Breedlove Solo Concert
        1996 USA Dean Baby Z
        1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
        1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
        Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Comment

I love playing on Dual Showmans, especially the old BF small cabs. I've also played old SUNN, Kustom and Acoustic amps with 215s. Great tones.

Bill
          When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

I love the sound of 1X15 combo amps.
            Originally posted by Agileguy_101 View Post
            It would be heavy. Very heavy.
            Doubt if I would care to deal with a 2X15, and I know a 4X15 is out of the question, unless I'd have a roadie!

Comment

My favorite guitar cab is an Ampeg 2x15 bass cab designed for the B-25B amp from the '70's. The problem is that I don't like hauling it around for gigs. Not only do I have a small car now, but it's worse to carry around than an SVT cab. It is just as heavy, but has no casters, and only those crappy old '70's vinyl strap handles. I use it only for recording now, or if I had a gig at a big venue (like an outdoor place, or an indoor place that held thousands of people), I might go ahead and drag it out of storage to use it.

The tone is both bigger and tighter than any 4x12 cab I've used. But speaker selection says more about this than speaker size IME.

I also used to play my Ampeg V4 or a Mesa F50 through one or two modern SVT cabs: a 1x15 and a 2x10. Both worked great, and could, of course, also double as outstanding bass cabinets when needed (as that is what they were designed for).

In short, I love 15's for guitar, but I wouldn't regularly gig with a 2x15 or 4x15 cabinet unless I played to thousands of people for lots of money and had roadies. A 1x15 though, sure.
              Originally posted by LesStrat
              Yogi Berra was correct.
              Originally posted by JOLLY
              I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

I have a vintage Sunn 2x15 that is lighter than my 4x12s and is a total goddamn sledgehammer.

BIG is a good word for it... And kinda 'scooped' because the lows and highs are emphasized. I like it for guitar but i prefer it for bass, with my Sunn Beta 412.
                green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

Back-breakingly heavy...
                  Warmoth Group @ Flickr : SDUGF group @ SoundCloud : Basic Guitar Setup

Blog @ Izdihar.com : Pics @ Flickr

I dream of a better world, where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned

Comment

I want to build a cab with 2x10s,2x12s and 2x15s in it , yeah I know it would be large and heavy but bet it would sound great !
                    Originally posted by Oinkus
                    I had Big Flannel over here the other night , cleaned up his Tele and did some setup on it , took out the camera and set it down on the desk. I am easily distrac

Comment

Everybody's talking about how heavy they are... Maybe its just a crap cabinet, but my vintage Sunn 2x15 is by far my lightest one.
                      green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

Originally posted by Oinkus View Post
                        I want to build a cab with 2x10s,2x12s and 2x15s in it , yeah I know it would be large and heavy but bet it would sound great !
                        No worse than hauling around an old style refrigerator....

Comment

Working...
                        X