Totally Impressed: Orange Micro Terror

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Totally Impressed: Orange Micro Terror

I grabbed one to be the brain for my "stunt rig" and have been jamming on it a lot. The little ****er sounds awesome. The three knobs cover a really wide range of tones, but I find myself leaving the tone at noon, the volume where it needs to be and riding that gain knob. Does a very nice "british chimey" (not Fendery but still very sweet) clean, your cranked rock tones and even metal tones. Kids who grew up playing Line6 might want more drive from a pedal to get their metal tones... Which is fine because this thing can handle it.

It held up to a loud punk drummer, a PA, and a 200w tube bass head pushing a 4x12 and a 2x15. I had to use two cabinets too, but it minimum resistence is 4ohms so you can pretty much chain cabs to your heart's content.

I put that theory to the test tonight. It powered my Green, Orange and Sunn 4x12s and the Emperor 2x12 without slouching.

It's a cute practice amp... It's a tube headphone amp... But primarily its a professional grade tube guitar amp that hangs with the big boys. I might get another as a backup.

I'm interested in hearing others thoughts and opinions about this pintsized powerhouse.
    green globe burned black by sunn

Re: Totally Impressed: Orange Micro Terror

I'll reiterate something I said a while ago; I saw a little high school concert with a mesa 5:50, a surf green DRRI, a line 6 60w thing that wasn't a Spider and it on a 2x12 Orange cab, and it was the most present and best sounding amp up there. Granted, way fewer knobs to not get right, but dangit if it didn't really shine and be the best heard over bass, drums and all of those amps being played at the same time.
    Originally posted by Funkfingers
    Music is for life. Without parole.

Comment

Doesn't surprise me in the slightest. The newer Orange amps are the only mass-produced amps I know of that get close to my vintage amps in the way that you can just plug right in and sound awesome. Some of the reissue Fenders do it but mostly for cleans...

I honestly think all the young upstart guitarists out there should get an Orange 2x12, a Micro Terror, and then build a pedal board then save for a $3000 vintage head and use the Micro as an emergency backup.

Comment

$149, eh? That's less than the speaker I'm considering getting... I might just have to pick one of these up.Hmm, and there just so happens to be one for sale in the city I work at a good price. Sounds like a sign to me. This may be a double New Amp Week for me.
        Last edited by Agileguy_101; 07-09-2014, 10:52 PM.
        Custom neck-thru strat
        1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
        1995 PRS CE24
        D'avanzo #8
        Breedlove Solo Concert
        1996 USA Dean Baby Z
        1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
        1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
        Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Comment

That's kinda my point. The value is insane. I was playing my model T through those 4 cabs simultaneously then plugged the Micro into them almost as a joke when I was done. Way less bass (as you should expect going from 150w down to 20w) different voicing to the preamp gain, but still a badass, loud, useful tone that reacted fine to my gain pedals. It's nice to know that if my big bad vintage amps go down my $150 pedalsized amp can finish up the show.

Holy ****. I could put it on a pedalboard. Holy ****.

Comment

I've seen that done. Right on the board.
            EDIT: first image I googled.

aww look at it. Smaller that an EHX big box.
            Last edited by jon the art guy; 07-09-2014, 11:11 PM.

Comment

Does a long speaker cable affect your tone? Can a Micro Terror be powered by a 1spot?

Comment

It's not a bad little amp at all, but since the used price is so good on all these small Orange amps, I know without a doubt that you'll LOVE a Tiny Terror. The volume levels it has is just perfect.
                Just like the Micro, it has 3 knobs, but it's a way better tone. The volume a Tiny Terror can put out is astounding for a 2 EL-84 amp.

The other killer ones to grab on the used market are the Dual Terror and the OR15. The OR15 is what I'd get if I sold my Tiny Terror. I don't sell it though, because I like it so much. It possibly gets more gain than the OR15, but the OR15 has a tone that's stellar. The Tiny Terror is crunchier, but the OR15 is ballsier....like a Bogner lunchbox amp.

All of the Orange amps mentioned sound better than the Vox Night Train, H&K Tubemeister, and Mesa Mini Rectifier IMO.
                Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

I'm interested in sound demos. Do u have any?

Comment

It'll all goes to show how much a great cab contributes to the final sound. You can turn those little amps into monsters punching well above their weight. I think this is so much to the point that the cabinet should be the first consideration when assembling ones first decent rig.

Orange essentially flipped the script with the Terror series. Straight up tone with as little distractions as possible. When the Tiny Terror was released it was the antithesis to the never ending gizmo arms race of 3 decades prior. 3 knobs. This is what you get and this all you really need. A barebones philosophy that seemed quite radical in 2007 that just about every other amp company has incorporated into their line ever since. Fascinating it took so damn for such a shift to happen after decades of players complaining tube amps were too loud, cumbersome and expensive.

Originally posted by Gearjoneser
                    The other killer ones to grab on the used market are the Dual Terror and the OR15.
                    I've seen Dual Terrors here in Australia go for as little as $500 on the used market. An incredible amount of amp for a budget range price. I played one a few years ago into an Orange 4x12 and I could not fault it. It just dripped straight up rock tone no matter where the dials were. For my needs right now I'm getting by with a 2-watt amp tube amp but if I ever need to step up in power a DT is at the top the list.
                    Last edited by Animal; 07-10-2014, 05:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by crguti View Post
                      I'm interested in sound demos. Do u have any?
                      This video comparison paints an interesting picture:

The Marshall wins but at 1/10 of the price and form factor that micro terror is giving it a scary run for it's money.

Comment

seems cool

Comment

Does anyone know any min-heads of around this size and wattage, and with as much tone, but cheaper?

Comment

Nope.
                            The Peavey VK2 has a tiny head now that's full tube, but I think its more than 150 bucks. The Greta might be pretty good from Fender. Vox just came out with a super dinky Night train too, didn't they?

Comment

magnum 44 EHX is same price at $150 but smaller and more wattage, not sure that it sounds better though, but it is well reviewed and seymour duncan forumite Necropolo uses it for big pro heavy metal shows and raves about it, RE: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/deta...FdBi7AodHmgAXw
                              Last edited by everdrone; 07-10-2014, 09:18 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X