• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NCD 412

There you go - http://www.mojotone.com/amp-parts/amplifier-handles

Comment

Let me rephrase what I was trying to say.

The current handles in my hands are junk and I refuse to replace them with the same thing because they'll break as soon as I start gigging it regularly.

I've checked out Scumback, Mojotone, PartsExpress, AmpRepairParts, Guitar Nucleus, TubesAndMore, and another 25 I can't remember. The problem Isn't that I can't find handles, It's that I can't find direct replacements made of metal. Instead I want to buy metal handles and figure out how to make them fit, It's literally only an inch difference in the cutout hole on the cab and every handle I can possibly replace it with.

Meaning I would have to fill in the inch gap with something. If I fill in the existing hole with a new chunk of the same thickness plywood to give the new handles something to grab, How would I attach the new ply to the old ply to make it support the 97lbs cab?
      Last edited by StoRMiE; 02-20-2018, 01:03 PM.

Comment

What are the hole dimensions

Carvin ought to.make something useful

If not add a piece of wood or metal painted black

Noone but you will look close enough to.see it

*(Sent from my durned phone!)*
        EHD
        Just here surfing Guitar Pron
        RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
        SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
        Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
        Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
        Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
        Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
        GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Cut a section the same size as the fill you want to make in the hole

Then mount it on a larger piece of scrap

Glue it from the inside
          So the fill piece fits the hole

Fill piece on bottom of hole not top

*(Sent from my durned phone!)*
          EHD

Comment

I've had several cabs with those handles (including and MS412) and never had problems with them. I've got the same handles on 30+ year old Kustoms right now.

Comment

take a look at these from carvin
              a small and a large

http://www.carvinguitars.com/group/s..._cabinet_parts
              EHD

Comment

Have you guys ever looked at your old threads when digging things out to start the project over and realized that your posts came across as a snotty teenager and you would like to punch yourself in the face? No? I guess that's a me thing.

It's been quite a long time since I started on this 4x12 and it's been under a pile of other projects and I haven't really had the time to work on it and just played it the way it was, the grill ended up getting painted black and it's been sitting for a little while. Bought burgundy snakeskin tolex from mojotone a few years ago and when my local lowes refused to stock some wilsonart h20 contact adhesive(because I'm not paying $40 a quart for the same stuff from mojotone when I can get a gallon), I ended up working on other projects and letting it sit. Fast forward to now I just finished buying pretty much everything I need to restore the cabinet to better than new. Although it would be my first attempt at a recover I plan to take it slow and get this knocked out a task at a time.

Waiting on to show up:

1gal Wilsonart H20 Contact Adhesive - Arrived.
                E-Z lok 6-32 brass threaded inserts (can't stand stripped woodscrews) - Arrived
                EB casters (non pop in) - Arrived.
                All new hardware (black and stainless) - Arrived

Foam tape - Arrived
                Cerwin Vega handles with insert cups. (I broke down and decided the plastic wasn't all that bad and I was eventually swayed by it being less effort.) - Arrived.

To do:

I have to break down and take the cab corners to various sanders because it won't come off by hand, then prime and repaint them on hooks after I hammer the dings out. - done

Sand the entire cab down with an orbital and take a roundover bit to the edges of the cab if it sands too flat. - done

Pop the speakers out, mask them off, clean the rust off the speakers and take an acrylic nail brush with paint to the areas that rusted previously.

Drill the majority of the stripped holes to a larger diameter and put in inserts. - done

Prime and paint stainless hardware if it clashes.

Respray the face black after filling some dings because it looks pretty dull and grey. - done

Find out where I put the Sheffield logo. located but don't know if I still want it on the cab.

For the sake of google pulling this thread up so other people don't have to wonder, Cerwin Vega handles fit Peavey 412MS cabs as a direct replacement.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180223_182203.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	5805494

This is probably a couple months worth of work, but I figured I would necro the thread simply because I was excited to work on the cab again after several years.

Project will be started as soon as the weather breaks, Michigan weather is awful and it's currently freezing rain in the middle of May.
                Last edited by StoRMiE; 07-11-2018, 10:36 AM.

Comment

Is that an MDF cabinet? Looks like it from the photos. How much money are you going to end up putting into it?

Comment

Name:	WP_20141023_023.jpg
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	5805443
                    Plywood, the face could be MDF I've never looked close enough.

Think I'm sitting at just under $250 in parts in transit, not counting the $60 for the cab.

Comment

Buckled down and started hammering out this project since I had everything ready, learned a lot and had many many many many inconvenient issues that popped up from my own lack of knowledge. I'll be throwing the corners on it soon but for now I am tired and need a break from it before I throw it out of a window or run it over, it's driving me nucking futs.

I had never attempted a recover of a cab before and soon after I genuinely began a few weeks ago I realized that I immediately went to the second hardest thing I could have covered, the first being an 8x12 the second being a 4x12 slant cab with a metal grille. If any of you decide to do this, start small and mess something tiny up before you move up to the big stuff. It's a big commitment and an even bigger headache.

Name:	20180630_113140.jpg
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	5809000Click image for larger version

Name:	20180630_082422.jpg
Size:	132.2 KB
ID:	5809001Click image for larger version

Name:	20180702_163129.jpg
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	5809002Click image for larger version

Name:	20180718_231414.jpg
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	5809003Click image for larger version

Name:	20180718_231648.jpg
Size:	116.6 KB
ID:	5809004Click image for larger version

Name:	20180718_232513.jpg
Size:	138.5 KB
ID:	5809005Click image for larger version

Name:	20180718_232403 (2).jpg
Size:	209.9 KB
ID:	5809006

Name:	20180718_232732 (2).jpg
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	5809007

Before:

Name:	WP_20141021_003.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	108.7 KB
ID:	5809008
                      After:

Name:	20180718_232403 (2).jpg
Size:	209.9 KB
ID:	5809006

Yes, the grille is actually a metallic red that turns black when the light stops hitting it just right.
                      Last edited by StoRMiE; 07-18-2018, 10:21 PM.

Comment

Cerwin Vega handles? Kewl....
                        ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
                        ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
                        ••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Comment

Only thing that fit it that as a direct replacement, and it was red so I didn't care.

Comment

looks great!

Comment

Working...
                            X