First real amp.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First real amp.

Well, firstly, Hello forumers! As you can tell this is only my 7th post so just tell me if I do anything wrong. Alrighty! I'm looking to get my first real amp. Right now I got a 20$ practice amp that came with my Washburn X12. I got the Washburn (Used) and Amp for 220$ at the local guitar shop like 2 weeks ago and Just finished my 2nd lesson. So I was wondering what a good amp would be? I know that there's lots of questions needed to be asked so just ask away! I'll try to be on enough today. I don't really have a budget as right now as I only have 6$ in cash. I just really like having a goal to reach. So probably the cheapest "Good" amp, although my guitar is only a 200$ guitar so I didn't know if that would limit anything.

Thanks for any help!!!

Re: First real amp.

That's a pretty broad question. Do you have any musical preferences? Without that....

My suggestion might be to look into the smaller Line 6 stuff. The smaller combo amps are reasonably priced, and provide a lot of tone options for the price. There are modeling amp haters out there, but I liked the flexibility. When you figure out what "your" tone is, you can always look into a specific amp that fits. For just jamming with friends, anything around 30 watts is plenty obnoxious. Speaker size is up to you, but I prefer the 12", single or double. Just remember that you'll be the one hossing this thing around. Trying to carry an 80 lb combo amp up and down two flights of stairs is killer. I'd also look into the used market. People trade in gear all the time, and you can find some deals. Just try to buy from a store you trust, and be sure you try the stuff out. Some folks abuse gear.

Also, learning the basics of keeping your guitar set up properly will do wonders. Don't get me started on the folks that bring their guitars into the shop to have a string changed. People think their guitars suck, when all it needed was to have the intonation set and the truss rod adjusted. Knowing how to do some basic maintenance and setup will reap huge benefits, and save you a lot of time and money. The "Guitar Player Repair Guide" by Dan Erlewine is a worthy investment. I wish I would have had that when I started. Or.... use the internet!

For what it's worth, my first guitar was a used Series 10 "super strat". Not the best guitar in the world, but it served me well. There are times when the guitar is the limiting factor. As a beginner, just spend your time learning first. Develop proper knowledge and technique. When you develop some skill, you'll start to see what you'd prefer in a guitar as well.
    Last edited by Jason_The_Angry; 01-05-2015, 11:32 AM.

"Seven times down, eight times up."

Comment

Originally posted by Jason_The_Angry View Post
      That's a pretty broad question. Do you have any musical preferences? Without that....

My suggestion might be to look into the smaller Line 6 stuff. The smaller combo amps are reasonably priced, and provide a lot of tone options for the price. There are modeling amp haters out there, but I liked the flexibility. When you figure out what "your" tone is, you can always look into a specific amp that fits. For just jamming with friends, anything around 30 watts is plenty obnoxious. Speaker size is up to you, but I prefer the 12", single or double. Just remember that you'll be the one hossing this thing around. Trying to carry an 80 lb combo amp up and down two flights of stairs is killer. I'd also look into the used market. People trade in gear all the time, and you can find some deals. Just try to buy from a store you trust, and be sure you try the stuff out. Some folks abuse gear.

Also, learning the basics of keeping your guitar set up properly will do wonders. Don't get me started on the folks that bring their guitars into the shop to have a string changed. People think their guitars suck, when all it needed was to have the intonation set and the truss rod adjusted. Knowing how to do some basic maintenance and setup will reap huge benefits, and save you a lot of time and money. The "Guitar Player Repair Guide" by Dan Erlewine is a worthy investment. I wish I would have had that when I started. Or.... use the internet!

For what it's worth, my first guitar was a used Series 10 "super strat". Not the best guitar in the world, but it served me well. There are times when the guitar is the limiting factor. As a beginner, just spend your time learning first. Develop proper knowledge and technique. When you develop some skill, you'll start to see what you'd prefer in a guitar as well.
      Thanks for the help! And sorry for the super broad question. Anyhow! As of now, I mostly like Classic rock. Like Led Zeppelin, BOC, Foreigner, Styx, Aerosmith And maybe some AC/DC and Guns n' Roses and so on. As for new or used, the local guitar shop only sells used stuff, and they seem to be pretty good. So if they have any good deals I'll look into getting something from there. If I do go with new, where would I find amps? As for Guitar maintenance, I'll look into that book!! I've already changed out the strings, and as for the truss rod, should I first get the guitar set up by a guitar tech? Or try to do everything myself?

Thanks for the help again!

Comment

Shopping for new gear is up to you. I'm lucky enough to be 20 minutes away from a great guitar store. When it comes to most stuff, I always try the amp or guitar out first. It's the best way not to be disappointed. While I try not to give them too much money, a trip to a Guitar Center or Sam Ash gives you the opportunity to try out a wide selection if you're in the USA. You can always try things out there, then see if your local store can order it, etc. I always try to support the local businesses if I can. If that's not possible, places like Musician's Friend, Guitar Center, Sam Ash, Sweetwater, etc have online ordering.

The decision to work on your guitar is up to you. Short of fretwork, I pretty much do everything on my guitars. Of all the basic maintenance, the truss rod adjustment is probably the most risky in terms of doing permanent damage to the guitar. Do some research and see if you'd be comfortable with it. The internet is a great place for knowledge, just read around a few places first. I was lucky enough to learn from the guitar tech at the local store when I first started playing, and he recommended making small adjustments, and to stop at any time if something didn't feel right. It's better to take it into a professional, than possibly damage or ruin a guitar. I do recommend having the guitar set up properly, no matter who does it. Very few manufacturers take the time to do a really good setup on a guitar from the factory. A good setup makes it easier to play and tune. If you have the opportunity to watch a good tech do the work, you can learn quite a bit.
        Last edited by Jason_The_Angry; 01-05-2015, 12:37 PM.

"Seven times down, eight times up."

Comment

I will second the guitar set-up. All kinds of videos on Youtube that explain how to intonate your instrument.....the truss rod will definitely be part of that.
          I was at a wedding part last night....at a fancy restaurant. From downstairs I could hear a guy playing guitar.....real well.!
          So I strolled down and watched for 20 minutes. He took a break and we talked. A few weeks back he bought the Crate Amp he was playing through at a Garage Sale...for 20 bux.!
          It was 15 years old...just a cheap SS combo with a 12 inch speaker...but he sounded fabulous at the low volume limits of the amp.
          I am not suggesting you follow that path, just pointing out that you do not need to spend 2-5 Grand to get good tone.
          Anyway.....do you live near me.? I have all kinds of amps you can try.
          Do you live near any music stores.? Try what they have on hand.
          Circa 300 dollars will buy you a pretty good used Traynor, Fender, Marshall, Crate, Vox, PV, tube amp.
          Punch 500 dollars into Ebay, and start looking at what is available...see what you can afford.
          Punch some amp names into the search function of The Gear Page, and this Forum....and read some of the comments.
          There will be A LOT of BS to sift through. Do not get hung up on tubes, speakers, cables.....just see what you think about what amps are being played, and what kind of music the guys play that are using them.
          good luck
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gY73mb28orM
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35mZ4BAvEbg
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nToonE52DG8
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMl-ddFbSF0

Comment

I would look at older, used, USA-made Peavey amps. Typically in my area, used Bandits (65 watts) and Specials (13 watts) for as little as $100-150. These are reliable, professional quality solid-state amps built for exactly the kind of music you like. They're great practice amps, yet they can be used on almost any stage. There are several different models in their Solo Series, and they go from about 15 watts (Backstage) to 200 (Renown). They even did a few with built-in stereo chorus and stereo amps. I just saw one of their biggest models, the Stereo Chorus 212 (130+130 watts), in great condition, for $175. I almost bought it for myself, and I do NOT need another amp, LOL. I use Mesa amps; I have several of them, but I would not feel TOO deprived if I had to use one of these Peaveys at a gig.

I've been playing for almost 50 years. There is something to be said for having a great amp right off the bat. Now, I'm not advising you to rob a liquor store to get the $3,500 needed to buy a 100-watt full stack like a Mesa Rectifier, Marshall, ENGL, or Wizard, etc. But, if you're serious about playing music, then invest in some good gear, and not something that will be obsolete for you in a couple of months. The other big advantage of the Peavey gear, it's already depreciated, so if you shop wisely, you won't be taking a big hit down the road if you need to sell it.

And until you're ready to buy, play every kind and brand of amp that you can, and try to figure out what you like. I owned several vintage Fenders and Marshalls, a SUNN, an Acoustic Control, Randall, and Peavey amps--and played probably dozens more, before I found my tone in a Mesa Boogie amp. That's all I play these days, and I have several different ones to fit different situations. Your next amp might not be the one they enshrine with your bust in the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame, but it should be a great amp that can get you through a variety of situations until you are ready to move on. I think one of the Peavey amps I've described is your best bet.

Good luck!

Bill
            Last edited by Boogie Bill; 01-05-2015, 06:06 PM.
            When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

+1 on the Bandit

Carvin makes the SX series amps
              they sound great, again they are solid state

Roland Cube, again solid state but sounds good
              EHD
              Just here surfing Guitar Pron
              RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
              SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
              Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
              Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
              Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
              Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
              GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Thanks SO much again to everybody who posted!!!

Boogie Bill, Is This like the Bandit you suggested? If it is, I'll look for the same one at the local guitar shop, although I feel mostly safe with CL if I can test it first.
                As long as it plays Classic Rock like the artists I mentioned, I trust that it will probably be perfect.

Comment

Here is another +1 on the Bandit - Versatile and built to last. Also, I have a couple of nice amps, and I wouldn't hesitate to get a clean used Bandit if one was available.
                  That is not dead which can eternal lie,
                  And with strange aeons even death may die.

Comment

Yep, after looking at some reviews and questions on here, I'm 99% sure getting a bandit. I'm up for my 3rd lesson on Thursday, I'll be looking around there when I go.

Comment

Yes, that's a good one. Offer him $150 and grab it.

Bill
                      When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

Based on my experience with my Roland Micro Cube, I would have to believe that the others in the Cube series would be a good deal. Peavey also, especially if you can find one cheap used. Don't forget about Crate or Ross Solid States, if you can find one.

Comment

Your in the Birmingham area?

heck have Ascension on here take you to his pawn shops
                          he can always find a great deal
                          Last edited by ehdwuld; 01-07-2015, 10:24 PM. Reason: freaking sticky "Y"
                          EHD
                          Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                          RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                          SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                          Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                          Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                          Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                          Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                          GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

roland cube. from micro cube to the bigger ones they will give you all the sounds you need and built in effects too. They sound pretty good, and with all the different on-board effects and amp models, you will get a good idea about what kind of amp you want when (and if) its time to take the next step. The other great thing about rolands is that you can get a good sound at any volume levels and also use the headphone jack etc.
                            "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                            Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post
                              Your in the Birmingham area?

heck have Ascension on here take you to his pawn shops
                              he can always find a great deal
                              Yeah, I live near Birmingham, but ???

Yeah, Gibson, I'm actually thinking about a roland cube, especially if the guitar shop doesn't have a bandit.

Ok, so I went to my lesson today, and we were kinda in a hurry and they were busy so I didn't get to ask if they had a bandit there. I looked around, and I didn't see one with all their Peavey stuff although I do have some questions about some of the amps I did see. First, there was a Peavy Vyper, All I saw on it was "Peavey Vyper 30 Watt Modeling amp", and they were asking 135$ for it. Next was a Peavey Something or other Special. Or maybe just special, Sorry I wasn't paying much attention at the time for some reason. Well, the special kinda looked like This Except it had a blue line near the top And they were asking for 250. I just wanted to know about these, And thanks for any info given. Of course I'll get the exact name and ask about a bandit next time I'm there.

Comment

Working...
                              X