Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How to move my Fender Supersonic 60 Combo into a head

Originally posted by DrNewcenstein View Post
    I moved an Ampeg head out of a 4x10 combo into a head shell once, but you're seriously considering doing this with a 1x12? Dude, really?
    Yes. Sorry if it offends you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Within the glow that weaves a cloak of delight ... There moves a thread that has no end
    Yours is the cloth, mine is the hand that sews time ... For me, the cloth once more to spin
    At last the arm is straight, the hand to the loom ... Is this to end or just begin?

sigpic My guitars + better pics

Comment

Originally posted by Red_Label View Post
      Just buy a nice road case and haul it that way.

I have a bad back (as in a surgery, MANY epidural injections, sciatica, seeing a physical therapist, etc). I picked-up a sweet Supersonic Twin a few months ago. I love it. But it's a PIG. I had a gig on New Year's, so I ordered a nice road case from SafeCase for it. It's got 4 inch blue rubber wheels and just rolls over everything. Two of the casters are locking. It's also got two handles on the side and one on the top. Yes, I still have to have someone help me lift it in and out of my rig. But everything in between that is cake with the amp in this case. I simply could NOT have any hope of gigging this beast without that case. Plus... between the case and the wheels it gets my amp at least 6 inches up off the floor where I like it.

I used to be all about heads and hated combos. Honestly, this Supersonic Twin is the first combo that I've ever had in 30+ years of playing that I really liked. But this rig THUMPS and keeps right up with my stereo rig consisting of two Ceriatone plexi heads into two V30-loaded 4x12s. I may very well pick up the Supersonic 60 combo like yours down the road to run with the Twin.
      All good points, but I don't have the money. I was considering adding casters, but putting into a head is actually even more reversible. And mine's a total pig too, even though it's a 1x12.

I like to run a 2x12 with it too. The V30 is kind of brutal in the Supersonic (in a good way), pretty biting, so I use more neutral speakers in the cab.

Within the glow that weaves a cloak of delight ... There moves a thread that has no end
      Yours is the cloth, mine is the hand that sews time ... For me, the cloth once more to spin
      At last the arm is straight, the hand to the loom ... Is this to end or just begin?

Comment

I was able to change my Marshall DSL 401 into a head for absolutely no money. I had everything I needed laying around the house, old amp parts like corner guards, handles, rubber feet and wood. After I built the head from pine, I turned the combo cab into a 1 x 12. I had a good speaker laying around that I used. I did have to buy some Tolex for the 1 x 12 cab though. I paid a total of $14.00 for the whole project.

It is doable but if you need to buy most of the parts then it could run you a $100 or so. You will also need some tools.

Since buying a finished head cab will be a minimum of $250.00, it might be worth it for you.

Comment

I moved my Mesa Lonestar from a 2x12 combo to a head shell enclosure. I was tired of lugging 84lbs of amp in and out of rehearsal and was getting muscle aches the following day. I called Mesa and they walked me through ordering a head shell with a reverb tank added, and swapping it over literally took unscrewing the amp, sliding it out of the old chassis, into the new one, re-screwing it and plugging in the reverb cable. The price of the head shell was less than the money lost on trade-in and there's no way I could afford a new lonestar head. I kept the old 2x12 combo chassis so I can return it to original anytime. I got exactly what I wanted, my amp was now portable and much lighter. I use it all the time now. I can also pair it with closed cabs and British flavor speakers to get an awesome classic rock tone, or pair it with an open back cab with american voiced speakers for blues and country. You may want to call Fender and price a head shell and see it the combo amp can just be transferred over. You can then evaluate if it if worth the price vs trading or selling for the head version or building your own. Best of luck.

Comment

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire View Post
            If I were you I'd just buy a head cab for it but get ready to spend some money. Top of my head I'm thinking $300 for a nice head cab for that amp.

If you DIY that's fine too but I wouldn't go that route...its a lot more work than you think.

Keep in mind one thing...heads with built in reverb have lots of noise issued if the reverb pan is too close to the chassis. You need to do what Fender did with the Bandmaster Reverb heads of the late 60s and keep the pan far away from the chassis...it looks stupid having the head be that tall but the noise issue you'll create if you don't is a pretty bad.

Good to know man

Comment

Another question

The manual says:

V. MAIN SPEAKER / EXTENSION SPEAKER—
              ����������������������� A speaker must ALWAYS be plugged into the MAIN
              SPKR jack when the Super–Sonic amplifier is ON or
              damage may occur. Switch the amplifier OFF or to
              STANDBY while changing speaker connections or impedance
              settings.

Obviously I would be unhooking the main speaker... I guess I can just plug the 2x12 in place of the original 1x12?

Comment

Originally posted by HALENisking View Post
                Another question

The manual says:

V. MAIN SPEAKER / EXTENSION SPEAKER—
                ����������������������� A speaker must ALWAYS be plugged into the MAIN
                SPKR jack when the Super–Sonic amplifier is ON or
                damage may occur. Switch the amplifier OFF or to
                STANDBY while changing speaker connections or impedance
                settings.

Obviously I would be unhooking the main speaker... I guess I can just plug the 2x12 in place of the original 1x12?
                Yes, assuming the 2X12 cab is 8 ohm impedance.

Comment

Originally posted by IM4Tone View Post
                  Yes, assuming the 2X12 cab is 8 ohm impedance.
                  Awesome, many thanks

Comment

Working...
                  X