Blackface circuits are the real deal!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blackface circuits are the real deal!

Hey guys, as some of you may know, my main amp has been a '71 Vibrolux Reverb for quite some time. It was always a good base clean tone, but I never realized how much I was missing until I started reading up on the circuit differences and trying them for myself. I've read from folks online that the silverface designs are fine as-is, that blackface designs were overrated and, in the case of the Vibrolux Reverb, I haven't found that to be true. I've always just accepted by VR for what it was, which was a lower powered good clean tone with some finicky controls. The blackface circuit it has now has me grinning because it sounds like a completely different amp in a very good way.

Here's what I like about it: warmer amp (the silverface circuit had more of a hi-fi kinda tone), tighter and richer bass (the silverface design had a flubby bass that had to be dialed in pretty carefully), more clarity (I was thinking that if it was "warmer", it was going to lose definition and I'm glad I was wrong), more punch (silverface could get loud, but wasn't as punchy as I was expecting) and an adjustable bias instead of the bias balance configuration which I really think robbed the amp of a lot of the above.

I've never seriously modded a tube amp before (the only previous thing I've done was change the output transformer to a T040). Leave it up to me to choose an amp that I'm sentimental about to experiment on, but it went well the first try thanks to Gerald Weber's (of Kendrick amps fame) videos on vintage Fenders. Gerald breaks it down very well on a component level. Tips like changing a capacitor value and PI tail resistors to redefine the low end and removing things like the caps across the power tubes to open up the high end were invaluable. When you have something that sounds good, it's hard to imagine what it "could" sound like. With all the talk about how scary the voltages are on the power capacitors, I wasn't very motivated to play around with them, but they're actually quite easy to discharge safely without any special tools (for those that didn't know - pin 1 or 6 are the "anode" or "plate" terminations on 9 pin preamp tubes and running an alligator clip to the chassis ground discharges the caps through a network of resistors downstream so they discharge safely).

Best of all, I was able to get all the parts for the mods right from my local Radio Shack for about the cost of a good pack of guitar strings. So, if you're handy with a soldering gun, meticulous with details and want a richer sounding amp for a negligible cost, just give it a try. Save the old parts if you really, really want to put it back to stock. Trust me, unless you want a colder sounding amp with less punch, less bass and treble extension, you'll probably really like it. For those that have one of the later silverface designs with the master volumes and UL transformers I don't think they're necessarily worth converting to blackface, but anything considered relatively early silverface should be a hit. This VR simply blows me away now!
    Last edited by That90'sGuy; 01-16-2015, 01:34 PM.
    Originally posted by kevlar3000
    I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
    Originally posted by Zerberus
    Better is often the enemy of good
    Originally posted by ginormous
    Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Re: Blackface circuits are the real deal!

Blackface has always been my favorite for clean except for Bassman. I love the tweed bassman
    Within the glow that weaves a cloak of delight ... There moves a thread that has no end
    Yours is the cloth, mine is the hand that sews time ... For me, the cloth once more to spin
    At last the arm is straight, the hand to the loom ... Is this to end or just begin?

sigpic My guitars + better pics

Comment

Sometimes, I wonder how p1ssed off Leo Fender must have been when he saw CBS/Fender ruining the perfect designs he came up with, with his last name still on them.

That video of Gerald Weber blackfacing a silverface was very educational. Luckily, my 74 Pro Reverb was already blackfaced when I got it. Someone had also dialed it in with speakers too, with a Jensen C12N and Emi Swamp Thang, which is a further improvement. Because some silverface cabinets had larger dimensions than blackface equivalents, the bass is possibly fatter as well.

I know Seymour is a big fan of blackface Fenders. If you walk into his office, there's two 65 Pro Reverbs in front of his desk, and who knows how many more vintage Fender amps he has?
      Last edited by Gearjoneser; 01-16-2015, 05:03 PM.
      Originally posted by Boogie Bill
      I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Preachin to the choir. my 69 Bassman is 99.9% Blackface... there's one weird anomaly part my amp tech found that I guess makes it an early 69 Silverface but.... all the important tone parts are Blackface and none of the 70's Bassman heads i've heard can touch mine in any aspect.

I keep buying other amps but I use that Bassman more than anything else. It's so stupid. I love it.
        green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

Working...
        X