Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dark Terror users.....

What speakers do you use?
    Just bought a Dark Terror 15W head and am presently using it with an open back 12" Eminence Swamp Thang.
    Finding it too bassy and a bit dark. Will plug in an EQ in the loop tomorrow and see.
    Just curious to see what you guys use.
    I mainly play classic rock and 80's hair metal.
    Hamer,Fender Kramer,Epiphone,Yamaha
    Full Shred,'78 EVH,Custom 5,Alnico Pro II's,Vintage Rails,STK-1,STK-2.

Re: Dark Terror users..... Orange users........

Not attempting a hijack, and I would like to read over your shoulder,

I'm also interested your problem as I'm thinking about a new speaker and would like to know what speakers go well with Orange amps.
    I've got a CR60 | Yes, the solid state one....| with the News of the World speaker, and this seems to me the weak link in the amp. Am looking for tighter bass and smooth highs. I'd like to see what others recommend for Oranges.

Am running a Dan electro Fish and Chips EQ with the Orange and it is helping.
    That is not dead which can eternal lie,
    And with strange aeons even death may die.

Comment

Re: Dark Terror users.....

I'm so glad you called it a News of the World speaker and I intend to giggle about it for the rest of the night.

Most Orange cabs come with Vintage 30s. Maybe you should start there.
      green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

I don't own one anymore but when I did I used it with a Mesa mini rectifier 1X12 closed back with a Vintage 30 and it sounded great.

Comment

I was thinking closed back cab for some reason

I don't know
          EHD
          Just here surfing Guitar Pron
          RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
          SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
          Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
          Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
          Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
          Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
          GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Orange PPC112 stock. sounds great. I tried plugging in my Vox AC15 into this PPC112 and it ddidn't sound too good. I'd like to get a 212 someday.
            Crash49 - my music on amazon and itunes
            http://a.co/8ht5Qes

Comment

When I had one I ran it through an orange closed back 1x12 with a vintage 30. I also tried it with a celestion seventy 80 which did not sound bad really. It is a pretty neutral speaker and let's the actual sound of the amp come through without coloring the tone. My favorite speaker with mine was a greenback. Swapping tubes can help some as well. The dark terror is naturally dark sounding anyway but you can tame it some.

Comment

Whatever gearjoneser uses - I plugged into his and it sounded like a marshall, it wasn't super bassy.

Comment

I was also thinking of swapping tubes. Still have the stock JJ's.
                  Any suggestions on what brand?? Are the power tubes or preamp tubes the culprit for being too bassy?
                  Hamer,Fender Kramer,Epiphone,Yamaha
                  Full Shred,'78 EVH,Custom 5,Alnico Pro II's,Vintage Rails,STK-1,STK-2.

Comment

i use a 2x12 cab with eminence cannabis rex speakers and it kicks some but live and at practice. we play rock to metal to country.

Comment

vintage 30 or an eminence governor
                      try some EH preamp tubes too
                      both the speaker and the tubes will move any amp in the direction of the big hair rock action
                      Last edited by Chickenwings; 01-27-2015, 06:03 AM.
                      "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                      Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Originally posted by DankStar View Post
                        Whatever gearjoneser uses - I plugged into his and it sounded like a marshall, it wasn't super bassy.
                        We probably had the Tiny Terror running into the H-30 70th Ann/Creamback 65 212 cab.
                        But the Bogner 212 V30 cab is what it's usually running through.
                        Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                        I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

I don't own a Terror, but In my humble opinion, I think the Swamp things are harder to get to break up, they tend to need a lot of fuzz/gain in front of them to get them to move.
                          I think eminence actually named them correctly, they are dark and murky. (given a drop C/B axe and tons of fuzz, they can rattle the concrete alone) but they tend to be dark.

I would suggest something like the others have, a 30watt celestion vintage, or the like.
                          Last edited by 80's_Metal; 01-29-2015, 10:52 PM.
                          Go buy my book. https://www.amazon.com/dp/198405564X

Comment

I use a stock Orange closed back 2x12 PPC. I also run a TubeScreamer in front of it to add some sizzle to the high end. If you blast the amp you might not need an EQ pedal or the like in front of the amp, but I've noticed playing it around bedroom levels something in front of it to add some treble helps. I also run a Phase 90 and Micro POG so I'm sapping a bit of the high end so YMMV, but the EQ pedal probably won't hurt.
                            Last edited by Aasinsilta; 01-30-2015, 07:51 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X