PEAVEY 112 BANDIT TRANSTUBE SERIES WITH 12" SHEFFIELD SPEAKER

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PEAVEY 112 BANDIT TRANSTUBE SERIES WITH 12" SHEFFIELD SPEAKER

I just wanted to let everyone know how much this amp kicks ass!! I have a great tone through this amp. It really is close to a tube and Ive been playing for ten years and think it is the closest Ive heard from a ss amp. And it is LOUD while keeping tone. I actually thought I would need a stomp box for the dirty but I found out that the amps distortion is actually better than the stomp box was. And the box was a BOSS DS-2. I dont even use it just the amp with a vintage tube overdrive and it sounds just right. What is everyone elses take on this amp????

Re: PEAVEY 112 BANDIT TRANSTUBE SERIES WITH 12" SHEFFIELD SPEAKER

I haven't ever owned one but I remember trying some out 10-15 years ago. If my memory serves me correctly, they are good for solid state amps. Some nice heavy tones have been recorded on Peavey SS amps in Sweden.

If you can, try the amp out through a 4*12 with different speakers, you could very well end up liking it even more.
    There are two kinds of people in this world that go around beardless—boys and women, and I am neither one

Comment

I had one back in the '90s. Wish I still had it, it sounded great.
      Wanted: 1982 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Serial Number 82232531.

Comment

If you dig it great... Personally I hate the things... every tom dick and harry in high school had one and they all sounded like pewp... but thats just my opinion... what matters is if it blows your skirt up... if it does.. then its all good.
        "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
        you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

I know someone who gigged with one for many years. They did some recording with it too. It doesn't sound like some vintage amp. It does kinda have its own signature sound. The overdrive is nice and chunky and the lead tones have good sustain. Great for the heavy blues that this local player was doing with the amp.
          "Just like bad gas, they (metal riffs) sneak out every once in a while."
          Jah Paul Jo - Dread Zeppelin
          guitar pic site
          Original prog rock on soundcloud
          Original ambient guitar pieces on soundcloud
          Original blues on soundcloud.com

Comment

About 10 years ago at a band practice, my Marshall's PT went and the only amp in the room was one of those Bandits. I owned an 80's Bandit so I kinda knew what to expect. Didn't expect it to sound like it did though. Much better than the old ones and pretty warm too.

Comment

Years ago, I bought one of the first edition black and silver Transtube Bandits used for my nephew. He still has it, and we both like it. A very good SS amp.

My band once opened for the late country artist Johnny Paycheck at a club gig in Seattle back in the mid-90's. When we took our stuff off the stage, they came out the tour bus and started throwing first version Peavey amps on the stage. The three guitarists had original model (not Transtube, but old Wide Strip) Bandits. The bass player used a simple Data Bass 115 combo. Piano man had a KB 300, and the steel player ran a Session 400.

And they virtually ran them wide open.

And they sounded great. Terrific musicians.

And when the set was done, they literally threw them back into the luggage area under the bus and took off for the next gig.

I'd bet those amps had a million miles on them.

You don't have to have the best, most expensive gear to sound great. But you have to know how to get the most out of your gear.

Bill
              When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

My Brother was Mr Paycheck's driver when he was in Germany back in the 70's

he was not impressed
                EHD
                Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Peavey is alright in my book. I've played through a bunch of their stuff and currently include a TNT-130 bass amp, that I picked up for less than 2 bills at a pawn shop, in my collection. Not sure if it has the 15" Black Widow or not but the thing gets huge tone in my practice room, which is about 10'x12'.

Comment

Hey I did a little experimenting with my amp tone in my peavey bandit transtube tonight and I didnt like the open back sounds to bright so I fitted the back with a piece of wood and closed the back and it makes it sound really close to a Marshall or other good tube amps it gives me really nice tighter lows not so loose. Its a nice little trick to do to give you a nice rock/metal sound and all I do to get the blusey tone again is take a piece of the wood off and its a good mix of low end and highs/mids

Comment

I have one here. Its a little monster actually. Plenty loud, can get rad distortion without pedals and its really reliable. So yeah perfect little amp. It has nothing on my jsx though. obviously.

The bandits go wlll with an external cabinet too.

I dont run mine with these anymore but when i did it was really thunderous.

Comment

Originally posted by Boogie Bill View Post
                        Years ago, I bought one of the first edition black and silver Transtube Bandits used for my nephew. He still has it, and we both like it. A very good SS amp.

My band once opened for the late country artist Johnny Paycheck at a club gig in Seattle back in the mid-90's. When we took our stuff off the stage, they came out the tour bus and started throwing first version Peavey amps on the stage. The three guitarists had original model (not Transtube, but old Wide Strip) Bandits. The bass player used a simple Data Bass 115 combo. Piano man had a KB 300, and the steel player ran a Session 400.

And they virtually ran them wide open.

And they sounded great. Terrific musicians.

And when the set was done, they literally threw them back into the luggage area under the bus and took off for the next gig.

I'd bet those amps had a million miles on them.

You don't have to have the best, most expensive gear to sound great. But you have to know how to get the most out of your gear.

Bill
                        Cool story, I love Paycheck.
                        Soundcloud

Comment

Thanks! He seemed really nice, but he was already sick by then, and was on a portable O2 tank off stage. But it was a heck of a show! R.I.P., Johnny.

Bill
                          When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

Originally posted by tman View Post
                            Hey I did a little experimenting with my amp tone in my peavey bandit transtube tonight and I didnt like the open back sounds to bright so I fitted the back with a piece of wood and closed the back and it makes it sound really close to a Marshall or other good tube amps it gives me really nice tighter lows not so loose. Its a nice little trick to do to give you a nice rock/metal sound and all I do to get the blusey tone again is take a piece of the wood off and its a good mix of low end and highs/mids

Peavey made an extension speaker for these; I think they were called the 112SX, and they perfectly match the Transtube Bandit. If you see one grab it, because they really transform the Bandit. I really like the combination of a 112 combo on top of a 112 extension cab. This is my regular gig rig these days, with one of my Mark Series Mesas on top of a Mesa 112 EVM Thiele cab.

Bill

Comment

Originally posted by Boogie Bill View Post
                              Peavey made an extension speaker for these; I think they were called the 112SX, and they perfectly match the Transtube Bandit. If you see one grab it, because they really transform the Bandit. I really like the combination of a 112 combo on top of a 112 extension cab. This is my regular gig rig these days, with one of my Mark Series Mesas on top of a Mesa 112 EVM Thiele cab.

Bill
                              Thats good to know. I might look for one of those for myself one day.

Comment

Working...
                              X