celestion 12m creambacks....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• celestion 12m creambacks....

so ive got this amazing bassman/jtm based amp, but at 25 watts for some reason the thing is just a damn loud amp!
    I use a 2x12 open back amp with a texas heat and a private jack.
    Ive also run it in a 1x12 with a g12h...even louder!
    I was thinking a pair of greenbacks might tame the volume a bit (only 98db as opposed to the 100db of the private jack), but i've never really been inspired by them in open cabs. I like my speakers to have a fatter low end. So...now considering a creamback (or a pair of them)
    Thoughts?
    "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
    Yehudi Menuhin

Re: celestion 12m creambacks....

Installing lower sensitivity speakers does indeed reduce volume. It is noticable too. It's a good idea.

BTW, The Heritage GBs are 96db while the standard re-issues are 98. So the Heritage ones will give a more significant volume reduction, but you will need at least two in a cab probably.

Comment

yep. i wasnt planning on going with regular greenbacks whether heritage or chinese cos i dont really dig them in open cabs. too loose in the low end. Im hoping to hear if anyone can compare the punch/low end of creambacks to them and if there is a difference.

I do wonder tho if there is a disparity between how eminence and celestion measure their speakers. I know they measure with a db meter @1 meter and 1 watt...but nothing is completely subjective. I wonder if eminence are a little more "optimistic" when it comes to spl ratings and therefore i wonder if 100db is actually the same with both companies.
      Perhaps i need to go down to the amp builder's shop and see if i can try a greenback loaded cab and compare it to my eminence loaded cab.
      "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
      Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

I have a 15w amp playing through a G12H 30 70th anniversary - and yes it is loud!
        Jum Burkard made a comparison video between the G12H 70th anniversary and the G12M 65w Creamback. Not in the same cabinet, but the differences come through fine I think.

I'm considering a G12M Creamback too for the same reasons, plus getting a little softer sound for blues. Not that I dislike my G12H - sounds great.

Good luck whatever your choice
        Johnny

Comment

my 22w deluxe reverb with a g12h-30 is pretty damn loud, the cannabis rex isnt really any louder even though its supposed to be 102db vs 100 of the g12h

Comment

12m65 cb and the heritage/evh g12m are more similar than they are to the current MIC greenback reissue which sounds more like a blackback. Heritage/cb are Less toppy/fizzy, extended lows....tubby but feel tighter. The ev/heritage has a more complex midrange than the cb or gb reissue,and it's quieter.
            I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

I'm going to need to know the brand of your amp first.
              Originally posted by Boogie Bill
              I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Originally posted by gibson175 View Post
                yep. i wasnt planning on going with regular greenbacks whether heritage or chinese cos i dont really dig them in open cabs. too loose in the low end. Im hoping to hear if anyone can compare the punch/low end of creambacks to them and if there is a difference.

I do wonder tho if there is a disparity between how eminence and celestion measure their speakers. I know they measure with a db meter @1 meter and 1 watt...but nothing is completely subjective. I wonder if eminence are a little more "optimistic" when it comes to spl ratings and therefore i wonder if 100db is actually the same with both companies.
                Perhaps i need to go down to the amp builder's shop and see if i can try a greenback loaded cab and compare it to my eminence loaded cab.
                Your ear heard different frequencies differently. I wonder if the upper mid spike that most Celestine have tricks the war into thinking they're louder.
                Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser View Post
                  I'm going to need to know the brand of your amp first.
                  Gearjoneser...its called a valvetone. Its a hand built ptp thing. I did a thread on it recently. Its pretty damn sexy

....and dont make me slap you!
                  Last edited by Chickenwings; 01-28-2015, 07:02 PM.
                  Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Jeremy...yeah I have a cannabis in my Princeton 2. Its fat and warm and loud too. When I tested out my new amp in the builders shop I tried cannabis rexes too. Loud and fat. Lovely but I'm more after something more British flavored and not so efficient. I've got a private jack and a Texas heat in it right now. I like the private jack sound but I'd just like to tame the output a bit
                    Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

I'll say the same thing I want to say to everyone asking what pickup to put in their guitar...

Buy it and you'll find out.
                      Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                      I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

My ideal match for this setting is a Mesa V30 and a 75 G12H30. At 16Ohms. I mean 2 8 Ohm speaker in series...

B
                        FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Comment

Originally posted by dr.barlo View Post
                          My ideal match for this setting is a Mesa V30 and a 75 G12H30. At 16Ohms. I mean 2 8 Ohm speaker in series...

B
                          nah man thats too loud and present for this scenario.
                          ....great speakers tho!
                          Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

I'm gonna speak my peace, if i may be so bold, and then forever let it be.
                            In my opinion, there are some boundaries/parameters as to what we guitar players consider to be "loud".

First of all, there is the Fender Balackface and Silverface amps with tons of brilliance and treble. At even , say, 22 watts, these amps are unquestionably LOUD!

Then there is Marshalls, like my vintage 100 watt full stack JCM 800. I have little problem adjusting the parameters of the controls and turning up the volume very very high on the fullstack Marshall without the whole over the top ''loudness' of a Fender amp.

Then from my experience, there are most average players whose constitution cannot tolerate anything above a boom box radio volume, and that a big concern, but it doesn't really count- it ain't rock and roll.

Aside from that, there is another type of amp loudness that has to do with the taper of the volume knob...i.e., at "1" it's soft, at "2", its balls to the wall.

As far as speakers are concerned; some speakers can be too bright with some amps, thats true, but usually in large part its the amplifier that is too bright. That said,
                            we often point to anything and everything in the signal chain; the guitar, the pickups, the speakers, and the amp , although in my opinion any pickup, amp, or guitar is going to be too spikey/bright if you are sitting right in front of it, and slamming the treble strings, and sometimes not even bothering EQ'ing the amp- believe it or not, it took me a long time to realize this !
                            Last edited by MetalManiac; 01-29-2015, 12:52 AM.
                            "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Comment

Originally posted by gibson175 View Post
                              Jeremy...yeah I have a cannabis in my Princeton 2. Its fat and warm and loud too. When I tested out my new amp in the builders shop I tried cannabis rexes too. Loud and fat. Lovely but I'm more after something more British flavored and not so efficient. I've got a private jack and a Texas heat in it right now. I like the private jack sound but I'd just like to tame the output a bit
                              I run a Cannibis in a closed back cab with a 5 Watt Jet City Picovalve, KT-88 in the power section. With the pre-gain at 3 and the master at 9, the thing indeed gets loud. I can only imagine what it would sound like if I opened it up. Hmmmm...

Comment

Working...
                              X