Small Amp with Complex Cleans. .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small Amp with Complex Cleans. .

I am looking for an amp with a ten inch speaker perhaps that has a rich but complex clean. In other words, it might be a little gritty or it might have undertones. I don't know of any particular amp that does this, but why not?

I don't want full on distortion, just something with a flavor that is not the standard Fender, Roland or Peavey clean sound. I don't care if it is a solid state or a tube amp. I do prefer something that won't break my back or my bank account! : )

Re: Small Amp with Complex Cleans. .

Vox?
    -Adam

Hear or Follow my music:

Comment

Hughes & Kettner Edition Blue Series.

I love my Edition Blue 60R. They all come with a Celestion speaker. Killer cleans. Take pedals well.

Comment

I would suggest a princeton....but i read that you don't want "the standard Fender, Roland or Peavey clean sound"
        There is no standard fender clean sound tho. There are so shades in the palette from many different amps.
        I reckon if you tried a princeton (i know its fender) with a blindfold, you would find that it delivers pretty much exactly the tone you are looking for.

Vox ac15s are pretty rad too but they usually come with a 12.
        "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
        Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Dr Z MAZ8, but that has a 12" driver.
          EAST Studio 2 combo.
          Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
          My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Laney VC15.
            Lumbering dinosaur (what's a master volume control?)

STALKER NO STALKING !

Comment

+1 on the laney
              "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
              Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Why does it need a 10 inch speaker? You would have more options if you lifted this restriction.
                Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

My first thought was Princeton Reverb, as it matches the description perfectly. But you shut the door on that from the start...so I will throw a Mesa Express 5:25 1x10 into the pool of suggestions. They are a two-channel, two-modes-per-channel amp. Extremely versatile, ranging from some of the best old-school tones Mesa has ever come up with, all the way up to way more gain than could possibly sound good. They are also switchable from 25W class AB to 5W class A single ended. The 5W mode makes them very Champ or Skylark like, but with all the modern features of a Mesa. They are no longer made with the 10" speaker, but if you look long and hard, I'll bet one will turn up used. The 10" version always got ****ty reviews, but I actually liked it a lot when I played it in the Mesa store here in L.A. Unfortunately, the 10" version had already been discontinued by the time the Express Plus line was introduced, because the Plus gives significant additional features, while taking nothing away from the previous model. However, you could buy an Express 10" combo and an Express Plus head on the used market, do a switcheroo, and then resell the remaining Express head that you end up with.
                  Last edited by ItsaBass; 01-28-2015, 03:26 PM.
                  Originally posted by LesStrat
                  Yogi Berra was correct.
                  Originally posted by JOLLY
                  I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Try and find a Fender Vaporizer at a good price before they're gone. 12W into 2-10's w/reverb.

It's footswitchable between it's normal pushed clean tone and blasting the tubes straight to the speakers......full blast. I rarely use that mode, but it's normal mode is very useful. It's kind of like a cross between a Vox AC-15 and a Fender Princeton......and it's not expensive.

$399 was the normal price, but I got mine on a GC blowout special.....$229 plus tax.
                    Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                    I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Small Amp with Complex Cleans. .

Originally posted by Gearjoneser View Post
                      Try and find a Fender Vaporizer at a good price before they're gone. 12W into 2-10's w/reverb.

It's footswitchable between it's normal pushed clean tone and blasting the tubes straight to the speakers......full blast. I rarely use that mode, but it's normal mode is very useful. It's kind of like a cross between a Vox AC-15 and a Fender Princeton......and it's not expensive.

$399 was the normal price, but I got mine on a GC blowout special.....$229 plus tax.
                      Thanks for that tip. I don't think I had even heard of them. Unfortunately, I don't see it in black, but I could go for a blue or green one. I need another low-wattage tube combo like I need VD, though...
                      Last edited by ItsaBass; 02-06-2015, 11:55 PM.
                      Originally posted by LesStrat
                      Yogi Berra was correct.
                      Originally posted by JOLLY
                      I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

The Vaporizer is a good little blues amp because it breaks up nicely and at the perfect volume.

I haven't even felt compelled to mess with tubes or speakers. Whatever 10's they put in there can handle humbuckers with the amp at full blast. With the blower switch feature, you know they had to think about that. Single coils sound great into the Vaporizer.

Out of all the Fender Pawn Shop amps, the Vaporizer is the best one.
                        The brown Excelsior needs a better speaker. The Excelsior Pro comes with a better speaker.
                        The Ramparte is a cool little amp, especially if you find one cheap. The Greta is more like a novelty toy.
                        Last edited by Gearjoneser; 01-28-2015, 09:31 PM.
                        Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                        I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

I would go with whatever Gibson175 and Crusty suggest

they would know

oh and I have a Laney Solid State
                          and it has the wonderful gritty cleans you want

my Roland Cube can get em too

I have a Joyo American Pedal ( Tech 21 Character Series clone )
                          when run into a powered speaker
                          it can get a gritty driven clean

I have a Carvin Belair
                          it has nice warm cleans
                          my buddy thinks its better than his 70's Twin

they have a smaller Carvin Vintage16 which is a very similiar circuit
                          but has a twelve inch speaker

not expensive tho
                          EHD
                          Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                          RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                          SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                          Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                          Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                          Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                          Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                          GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

I'd love to get a Vaporizer, but I'm a little worried that I'd never get it to break up at volumes that wouldn't also cause my relationship to break up. I usually run my Night Train (into a 2x12) at about 10 o'clock, in 7.5W mode.

The Night Train, btw, might be worth looking at. The combo version has a 10, I believe.
                            ---------------------------
                            The most popular thread I've ever made was 1) a joke and 2) based around literally the most inane/mundane question I could think of. That says something about me, or all of you, or both.

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...or-for-a-Strat

Comment

If you can stretch it to 12" the Mesa Rectoverb 25 is a neat little amp!

Comment

Working...
                              X