Eminence Swamp Thang + Man O War

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eminence Swamp Thang + Man O War

Wow I haven't posted on here in forever!

I have an Egnater 212x cab, and it's amazing! The Celestion "Elite 80" speakers that came stock with it sound very good, however in my seemingly endless quest to sound heavy, I'd like to upgrade to something a little more voiced toward the type of music that I play. Additionally, the cab is currently rated at 160 watts and I'd like to get up to at least 200 (or greater). My amp is so effing loud, it turns your brain into mush and I'm concerned that I might fry the Elite 80s at some point. 4 is stupid loud, I'm afraid to turn it up any higher, 4 is like "close the blinds" loud.

I really dig on Eminence speakers, and I am either going to go with one "Swamp Thang" and one "Man O War", or a pair of the former. I don't know which way to go, and I have no way of trying them out in person. Some info of note: I play Stoner/Doom/Sludge, and my signal chain goes like this:

SLUG equipped Fender Tele - Big Muff - 100w JCM800 - Cabinet.

Thanks d00ds! Stay Heavy.
    "From forest caves and azure skies,
    we crashed upon this earth."

Re: Eminence Swamp Thang + Man O War

I have Swamp Thangs in my Emperor 2x12 and ManoWars in my Electric 6x12.

The Emperor cab is like a subwoofer for guitar. Lots and lots of lows with enough mids and highs to carry you through.

The 6x12 still has plenty of girth but is full in the mids too. It sounds more balanced to my ears but I haven't cranked it up so I don't know how it reacts at higher volumes yet...

I would either go Manowars or one of each. Go with two Swamp Thangs if lowend is your priority. Or just sell that cab and buy an Orange 2x12 with V30's because those are sweet.

PS how are you liking that SLUG? I kind of want to try one......
    green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

I'd say Swamp Thang with a Tonker if you want to mix the American with the British. Though I personally would go with Swamp Thang and Texas Heat.

Comment

Thanks for the input!

The SLUG is the cat's pajamas. I'll try to post a demo vid soon, hold on to your hats.
        "From forest caves and azure skies,
        we crashed upon this earth."

Comment

I'm a big fan of Eminence speakers, and the Swamp Thang in particular. I like them for the lower powered amps (15 to 22 watts) due to their high efficiency. For an amp that tends to be excessively loud, I think I'd look for less efficient speakers. Perhaps some WGS? or stick w/ the Celestions.

Comment

I also am a big fan of Swamp Thangs...great tone!
            Originally Posted by IanBallard
            Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

I have a Swamp Thang in an old Carving XV-212 combo. As I think that the other speaker, a Celestion G12-M70, is on it's way out, I'm thinking of replacing it with a Texas Heat.

Comment

Working...
              X