banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any experience with the WGS 10" Veteran or Green Beret?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any experience with the WGS 10" Veteran or Green Beret?

Hi,

I've decided to replace my '63 Skylark's speaker instead of reconing it. I'm looking at the WGS speakers mentioned in the thread title. I'm also considering a couple different 15W Weber alnico models.

Any experience with these speakers, preferably in an approx. 5W vintage amp? On the WGS demos, the Veteran sounds better to me, but demos don't say that much IME.

Thanks.
    Last edited by ItsaBass; 02-05-2015, 12:34 AM.
    Originally posted by LesStrat
    Yogi Berra was correct.
    Originally posted by JOLLY
    I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Re: Any experience with the WGS 10" Veteran or Green Beret?

I don't have direct experience with the 10" WGS variety, but have played the 12" Veteran and have the 12" Berets. Both sound awesome, but I like the Berets a little better.
    "Hello! My name is Inigo Montoya! You killed my father. Prepare to die!"

Comment

Thanks. What are the differences in tone that you noticed? Were they in anything close to the same amp?
      Last edited by ItsaBass; 02-06-2015, 10:53 AM.
      Yogi Berra was correct.

Comment

The Berets have a nice balance and a real sweet mid-range. The top end isn't spikey at all, but more articulate. However, I have them in a CRATE 50w Vintage Club with EL-84's, and the Veterans are in my Friend's JCM800 combo with EL34's, so it may not be a fair comparison. The Crate was always a sweeter sounding amp than the JCM regardless of the speakers IMO.

Comment

:shrug: different strokes. I feel that the Green Beret is second rate as current g12ms go. Harsh, 2 dimensional. My EVHeritage g12m is on a different planet.

Edit- so my suggestion is go Celestion. The 10" greenback sounds good, as the V10.
          Last edited by JeffB; 02-06-2015, 02:05 PM.
          I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

I've never heard WGS speakers described that way. Most folks love them. As you say, "Different strokes"

Comment

The Greenback is not on the table. I'm not gonna spend $115 on a speaker for this amp, and 30W is beyond what I want (as is 20w, but I don't have a ton of choice in that price range).
              Yogi Berra was correct.

Comment

FWIW, I got the Veteran 20, and it sounds fine for this purpose.
                Yogi Berra was correct.

Comment

glad to hear it is working for you

Comment

Working...
                  X