WHAT WAS YOUR FIRST AMP?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WHAT WAS YOUR FIRST AMP?

I read a couple of replies to the "WHO REMEMBERS THEIR FIRST GUITAR" thread where the posters also listed their amps. Obviously electric guitars need some kind of amplification.

So, what was your first amplifier?

Mine was a '60s Fender Bassman head on a 2x10 cabinet. I later sold it and bought a Peavey Vintage 2x12. Both were outstanding amplifiers. The neighbors didn't like either one.

Re: WHAT WAS YOUR FIRST AMP?

I had an old tube radio converted to an amp by my best friend's Dad, I wish it was still around, 3 little speakers and white 70's paneling.

As for a "real" amp a 20wt 1x12 Premier solid state combo. Big beautiful cleans
    My Bands -
    https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
    www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
    www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
    GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

Marshall JMP... fawn colored at that.. got a good deal on it cause it was in the basement of a music store that had a fire upstairs which the sprinkler system put out but also filled the water with over 2 feet of water... in the right light you can see the water line to this day.

Theres actually a long story and a steep learning curve with this amp but its valentines so maybe ill type it another day
      Last edited by Edgecrusher; 02-14-2015, 11:40 AM.
      "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
      you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

Roland Minicube. Speaker died in couple of years, I connected it to an old stereo speaker I had. I still have that amp lying around, my brother uses it sometimes as a bass amp.

It´s a stack?
        Jackson JS30
        Squier Strat ´99
        Project-Ibanez - something?
        Ex-Pinecaster - bad choice of wood, man

Comment

My first was an unknown 9 volt battery powered amp that sounded horrible. I later used it as a preamp into an old 70s Fisher record player/ home stereo and it sounded pretty sweet.

After that was a Gallien Krueger 250 ML which was a vast improvement

Comment

Oh yeah... Feel the Rage....

(Not mine, linked from photobucket)
            Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

A Sears XL5 Solid State POS. I actually played in my first band with it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Sears-Solid-State-XL5.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	170.1 KB
ID:	5784233

Comment

The mighty, mighty, Intermusic Imp...

Warmoth Group @ Flickr : SDUGF group @ SoundCloud : Basic Guitar Setup

Blog @ Izdihar.com : Pics @ Flickr

I dream of a better world, where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned

Comment

I remember it was a Marshall practice amp. Just a little solid state bugger because it's all I could afford. If I remember right it was a Marshall MG 30 of some kind but it's been almost 20 years now. I used it for a few years and then upgraded to a Marshall AVT 50 combo before moving on to (and staying with) tube amps.
                  Soundcloud

Comment

Some horrible, solid state, no name amp box that had like a six inch or 8 inch speaker and one knob. That was in 1980. Now, my first REAL amp was an Ampeg Reverbrocket. That was a great little amp. First guitar was some cherry sunburst, can't even explain the shape HORRIBLE playing 60s or 70s thing. I think it said Damuro or something on the headstock.
                    My songs....enjoy! (hopefully )

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=652921
                    or for older stuff too, but slower downloads
                    http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp...=301569&T=7414

Originally posted by DankStar
                    700 watts is ok for small clubs, but when you play with a loud drummer or at a medium-large sized venue, you really need 1,500-watts at least. no one should be left alive.

Comment

Everyone is posting photos. This is cool so I found a photo online that shows what my Peavey Vintage looked like.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1973.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	20.3 KB
ID:	5784234

Comment

peavey bandit 112

80w of loud ass bullet proof mediocre

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
                          Oh yeah... Feel the Rage....

(Not mine, linked from photobucket)
                          Same here; Peavey Rage 158. I used it for a few months before getting a Marshall MG30 which I used for another year and a half before getting my Jubilee. I still have the MG and occasionally use it for recording fizzy SS overdrive or more metal / industrial tones when driving an external cabinet. I traded the Peavey Rage for several packs of strings in about 2004.
                          Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                          And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

It was a ss Ross 80 watt with 1x12" speaker. It was LOUD.

Comment

WHAT WAS YOUR FIRST AMP?

Bass: Ampeg Rocket Bass B100R. My first and only bass amp. I didn't get my own amp until some time after I was already an adult. Before that I used my dad's Ampeg V4. This has been my bass amp for going on 20 years now. It has never broken down, and it's still bone stock.

Guitar: '72 Fender Vibrolux that had been blackfaced (pardon the term).
                              Last edited by ItsaBass; 02-14-2015, 04:14 PM.
                              Originally posted by LesStrat
                              Yogi Berra was correct.
                              Originally posted by JOLLY
                              I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Working...
                              X