banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NAD+3 Mth's Review: Randall RD-45 Diavlo Wow...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NAD+3 Mth's Review: Randall RD-45 Diavlo Wow...

Couple of mth's ago I needed an amp asap to do a short tour i was contracted for, and with a bit of life change, to care for an ill parent, I had shifted my musical career to local hard rock/metal bands and sessions. I did a night of research and kept coming to this amp despite it's obvious "Metal" look and no familiarity with Randall's offerings over the last few yr's, I contacted them and guitar center dropped shipped a RD-45H to my door.
    I was familiar with Fortin's amp mod's from Halford, so I guess I had a leg up to an extent, so for the first time I bought an amp without playing it, breaking a big rule of mine when buying guitars and amps.

Even in heavy music i'd always been old school with my setup's, Marshall's and modded Marshall's, Komet/Trainwreck style amps, Egnater's and Dr Z's, etc I try to have as much control of the amp with my hands and guitar vol & tone knob's, A mild boost pedal of some kind to whack the amp for solo's, I think ya get the picture.
    Wow, this thing went beyond even my wildest expectations, outta the box it's overdrive channel was harmonically rich, and touch sensitive, yet tight with a ton of definition. To achieve my tone the EQ may look a bit weird compared to say a JCM 800 or Soldano SLO (mid's at 3 o'clock treble 2-3 and just too much bass if above noon ;-) ) It will give it up for everything from classic rock to the brutz (as the kids say) with just a few gain and tone knob tweaking. The on board boost is as if i had designed it myself with a touch of mid's, gain, and volume with one tap of a button.

But the thing that amazed me was how well it clean's up from the guitar, even for high gain setting it goes dead clean with vol knob like it was fading the dirty ch into the clean. I use vintage to moderate output PU's (59's, Custom & custom 5's, Lust fire & water etc) which I'm sure helps out, but even the one EMG equipped ax i have does nearly the same! it easily surpass's even my non-MV and Fischer tweaked or designed non-MV amps I own.

Anyhoo, I just felt compelled for the first time in a while to post on a musicians forum about a product that I find is really lacking in prop's considering what it can do, and resides in that somewhat lambasted "made in China" area of the market. I guess I could ***** about the clean Ch being a bit too bright, but considering I don't ever use it since the OD clean's up so well.... :-) VG

Re: NAD+3 Mth's Review: Randall RD-45 Diavlo Wow...

Mmmkay...

Comment

Can't speak for these other yahoos but I like clips when it comes to amps and NADs

Comment

True, did a couple tracks for a tribute hair band, rough's I try to post a mp3. VG

Comment

Like I said rough mix's, and there's a bit of sizzle but general idea. VG
          Attached Files

Comment

Cool tunes & tones!

Comment

Thanks! It doesn't show the versatility of the amp very well, but aside from a bit too much top end EQ the engineer put in, it sure goes to tape well.
              I used it last night for a show and it still amazing how much gain is had and still can roll back to clean/crunch. And still sit great for leads with the boost engaged, as stated it just pulls up the right amount of mids and gain I would normally use a suhr koko boost for. very happy with it, and still not sure why the news blackout is on these. VG

Comment

spot on!
                Go buy my book. https://www.amazon.com/dp/198405564X

Comment

Yeah..very cool!
                  "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
                  If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

Working...
                  X