banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Marshall vs. Marshall (kind of a clone / inspired-by)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marshall vs. Marshall (kind of a clone / inspired-by)

I would love to hear your opinion on this scenario :

I always wanted a Marshall.
    I LOVE the CRANKED JTM45 tone, but it being a non-master volume amp, i might get into trouble playing at full-tilt at 11pm at night.
    I also love the Acid King tone (JCM 800 full stack, albeit with the help of a vintage 70's Little Big Muff)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjS-OfyPmOk - Acid King

So, i got to a cross road, so to speak.

I can get a brand new (never opened before) Vintage Modern 50W head for $950.00

Or i can get a RedBear MK120 head and original 4x12 cab for $700.00
    (internet pics looks like it is in a good cond / can not play before purchase)

Now, from these (see blow) sound samples i really like the following best :

* at 0m57s, the '83 JMC 800 4140

* at 1m11s, the '87 Lead 12 3005

* at 1m30s, the '89 JMC800 1987

But i can never afford a JCM 800 or a JTM45 in this country.

With that in mind, which amp will suit me best ?

Vintage Modern, or the RedBear (based on a Marshall afaik) ?

Thanks to al
    Tele, SG, LP Jr, '76 Ibanez Artist & Tokai LS92 + FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / '73 Orange OR120 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Orange Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 / Marshall Vintage Modern 50 & 2X12 Genz Benz g-Flex / Laney Klipp / Laney AOR Pro Tube 100

"...it's a tree with a microphone" - Leslie West

Re: Marshall vs. Marshall (kind of a clone / inspired-by)

For what it's worth, I've seen great condition used vintage moderns for a lot better prices, even on eBay (650-750)

Comment

Vintage Modern.

Bill
      When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

Originally posted by DankStar View Post
        For what it's worth, I've seen great condition used vintage moderns for a lot better prices, even on eBay (650-750)
        But shipping a $650.00 VM amp head to this side of the world (lets not even think about the 110V vs. 220V thing) will kill me.
        Tele, SG, LP Jr, '76 Ibanez Artist & Tokai LS92 + FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / '73 Orange OR120 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Orange Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 / Marshall Vintage Modern 50 & 2X12 Genz Benz g-Flex / Laney Klipp / Laney AOR Pro Tube 100

Comment

Originally posted by Boogie Bill View Post
          Vintage Modern.

Bill

;-) . . . thanks Bill . . . thought you'd say that !

Comment

I'm assuming you're not US, given the 230V thing.

Have you considered Ceriatone, and the varied marshall clones they do?

Comment

+1 to ceriatone (or a similar jtm clone). Order one with a master volume as an option. Great for gigging with a drummer.
              As far as playing at home late at night...use something small like a roland micro cube.
              "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
              Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Originally posted by gibson175 View Post
                +1 to ceriatone (or a similar jtm clone). Order one with a master volume as an option. Great for gigging with a drummer.
                As far as playing at home late at night...use something small like a roland micro cube.
                Aye... tis the Ceriatone JTM45 clone that ye be looking for lad. Mine's got an MV as well (though I usually just leave it wide-open and run a Carl Martin Plexitone up front).

"Always remember... all you do in life, comes back to you" - Roy Kahn, formerly of Kamelot, during the intro to "Karma" on their One Cold Winter's Night DVD

http://www.soundcloud.com/jwflamenco

Comment

JTM-45 with a MV control . . . i like that !

Comment

Most Clones are just as good as the original. Often they are handwired and of higher quality parts. Most newer Marshalls are PCB boards and not as good as they used to be. You'll find yourself paying extra for the logo and not for a better amp.

Comment

Originally posted by Detroitblues View Post
                      Most Clones are just as good as the original. Often they are handwired and of higher quality parts. Most newer Marshalls are PCB boards and not as good as they used to be. You'll find yourself paying extra for the logo and not for a better amp.
                      Yup. I was pretty impressed when I first opened my Ceriatone up.

"Always remember... all you do in life, comes back to you" - Roy Kahn, formerly of Kamelot, during the intro to "Karma" on their One Cold Winter's Night DVD

http://www.soundcloud.com/jwflamenco

Comment

Man, the valve state was surprisingly nice in those clips but the MG was just ****ing terrible.
                        Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                        This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Working...
                        X