banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the equivalent to the JB pickup in the 12” speaker world?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the equivalent to the JB pickup in the 12” speaker world?

In other words, if you were going to stick with one, what would be your “go to” speaker? I’m looking for something that:
    Doesn’t color/change/emphasize the amp’s tone much.
    Doesn’t break up easily (let the amp handle that) and is efficient.
    Can handle clean to classic metal (no tuning lower than D).
    50-75 watt capacity each.
    Thanks.

Re: What is the equivalent to the JB pickup in the 12” speaker world?

Vintage 30. Not that would necessary be my "go to" speaker in every case. But it meets your other criteria.
    Last edited by Lake Placid Blues; 02-28-2015, 09:32 AM.

Comment

V30 . . . Prominent upper kids and pretty loud/efficient. Sounds good clean and with gain. Pretty much all guitar speakers colour/change the sound of the amplifier though.
      Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
      This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by Lake Placid Blues View Post
        Vintage 30. Not that would necessary be my "go to" speaker in every case. But it meets your other criteria.

I have to agree with this. you really cant go wrong unless your secretly lusting for an Eminance, or Jensen type tone. The V30 is a great all around tone. From there you can refine your personal taste to certain speakers for certain type sounds like a Cannibus Rex for rolled off highs or a 4x10 jensen cab for spanky cleans or various celestian greenback speaker models for adding presence to your tone. if your game, some people then go for 15 inch speakers for specific clean tones

Comment

I like the V30 and have it in several of my Mesa amps and cabs. No complaints at all.

But I think one of the most transparent speakers (what goes in is what comes out) is the EVM. That is the speaker I like for my Mark III and Mark IV amps; it's terrific in the combos, and fabulous in the Thiele and 412 cabs. Handles 200-watts, very efficient, and it weighs a frickin' TON. They are expensive, but well worth it in my book.

Bill
          When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

I would say the V30... with the strong caveat that not all V30's are created equal at all... Mesa V30's to be exact. The newer Celestion ones sound quite a bit different. They are a fair amount brighter.
            "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
            you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

Originally posted by Boogie Bill View Post
              I like the V30 and have it in several of my Mesa amps and cabs. No complaints at all.

But I think one of the most transparent speakers (what goes in is what comes out) is the EVM. That is the speaker I like for my Mark III and Mark IV amps; it's terrific in the combos, and fabulous in the Thiele and 412 cabs. Handles 200-watts, very efficient, and it weighs a frickin' TON. They are expensive, but well worth it in my book.

Bill
              Totally agree with this. I have them in my Mesa 2×12 Thiele Road Ready cab, and it's an incredible sounding cab. Not shure what pickup would be the equivalent of that though.
              As an quivalent to a JB my first thought would be a V30. Very prominent midrange that gives you the cut you need in a band setting.

Comment

Working...
              X