banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is mixing 2 speakers from a 412, and a 212 cab possible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is mixing 2 speakers from a 412, and a 212 cab possible?

So the other rhythm guitarist and I figured, to save money, we would both use two speakers from my current garbage 412, and each buy a 212 of our choice? is that possible? and would we get similar sounds to just each using our own 412? cab

Re: Is mixing 2 speakers from a 412, and a 212 cab possible?

It doesn't matter what the speakers come out of or what they're going into, as long as each cabinet has speakers with matching Ohm ratings.

The same goes when running an amp into more than one cab. The Ohm ratings need to match.

Also, how you wire the speakers in the cabs will determine the Ohm ratings of the cabs.
    Wanted: 1982 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Serial Number 82232531.

Comment

That's an interesting question...one I never thought about. Physically and electronically, it is definitely possible. Some 412's have stereo inputs which isolate the speakers into two pairs. If yours has that arrangement, it's simple to try. Otherwise, it would need to be rewired, which isn't difficult. If your 212's have two parallel jacks each could be daisy chained to half the 412.

What it would sound like is another matter, but I'm guessing it would be fine since stereo 412's have two different signals going into them. I'm anxious to hear of the results if you try it. Just make sure you do proper impedance matching for best (and safe to the amp) results. For example, if the 412 has 4 16 ohms, each pair/half would be 8 ohms connected in parallel; then the 212's should have an overall impedance of 8 ohms as well; the amp would then see a 4 ohm load when half the 412 and the 212 were daisy chained in parallel.

Very interesting!

EDIT: One other issue is speaker sensitivity. If those of the 412 are more than 3 db different than those of the 212's, there will be a noticeable volume difference.
      Last edited by IM4Tone; 03-08-2015, 05:44 PM.

Comment

Ok, maybe I misunderstood. I took it that the OP wanted to pull the speakers out of the 4x12 and install them in a pair of 2x12s.

But in light of what you posted, IM4tone, I would just buy another 4x12. 4x12s aren't that much more than a typical 2x12, and there are gobs of decent used 4x12s to be had these days.
        Wanted: 1982 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Serial Number 82232531.

Comment

A 12" speaker is 12" speaker; they are not tied to their original cabinet in any way. Of course you can pull out the four speakers and put them in two 2x12's instead.

That said, expect a different tone than what you're getting with the 4x12...plus you will end up with an empty 4x12, and having to buy two 2x12's. You really won't be saving much money, and you'll be ending up with a useless 4x12 cabinet that you won't be able to sell for much. Personally, I'd sell the 4x12 and buy a 2x12 for each of you.
          Last edited by ItsaBass; 03-08-2015, 08:38 PM.
          Originally posted by LesStrat
          Yogi Berra was correct.
          Originally posted by JOLLY
          I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

I feel like the OP needs to clarify a bit, if he doesn't mind. Do you plan on splitting the 412 up and putting it into two 212 cabinets or running two 212 cabinets and the 2 speakers each of the 412? Its just ambiguous enough to go either way...

Comment

Originally posted by autologic View Post
              I feel like the OP needs to clarify a bit, if he doesn't mind. Do you plan on splitting the 412 up and putting it into two 212 cabinets or running two 212 cabinets and the 2 speakers each of the 412? Its just ambiguous enough to go either way...
              Yes, perhaps I misunderstood.

Comment

I think he just wants to rip apart a 4x12, buy two 2x12 cabs & fill them with the speakers that he already has from the 4x12??? If this is the case than yes, all 4 speakers in that cabinet will prob. be 8 or 16 ohms but the'll have the same impedance? Depending upon how You wire it up afterwards will determine your end impedance? You will need to figure out what you got & the best way to rewire it but you should end up with two working cabinets. Before you embark on this enddever make sure your heads have switchable impedance & if they do not you will need to do some research to find out what you have to do to end up with a cab that you can use @ the end of all this. What is it exactly that is making the 4x12 garbage? Is the wood broken or are you having vibration problems? Typicaly if something goes it's the speakers, if they're the problem then your just going to end up with two "garbage" 2x12's! If I read that wrong then I'm sorry, if you explain we can get you fixed up?

Comment

Working...
                X