X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tube amps choices,choices,choices

Originally posted by tman View Post
    It will between the Peavey Valveking (new models)/
    DSL Marshall series/a Bugera/or Blackstar I am mainly concentrating on the combo style, lower in watts,and under 700.oo bucks. I just like to hear all your expert advice between these four since I was always a SS man and I know lots of you are Tube players. Thanks a bunch your advice will be greatly appreciated!! I play a lot of blues/ classic rock/ and 80's metal if that helps.
    Well the Blackstar HT series are all hybrid amps, although fasely advertised as all tube. That doesn't mean they don't sound good. The old valvekings sounded bland to me stock, required a bunch of mods to get the best out of them. Haven't tried the new ones. DSL's are expensive to me when buying new.

Moving on, $750 could sometimes get you a Mesa Mark IV on the used market. But why specifically those particular brands? There are many options to pick from used in around the price bracket of 700. For something new id recommend Jet City or Egnater, should be in that price range i think.. Probably best to go used though for broader choices.

Comment

lets see I have played some of the burgera amps and they sound great almost got a v22, they did have problems out of the gate but from what I her they have gotten much better as the years have gone by
      marshall dsl series are pretty good sounding amps and can handle a lot of styles of music, but don't expect fender clean. the marshalls have more of a gritty clean

the peavey valvekings have a great clean but cant reach the distortion levels the marshall and burgera can reach

I actually own a blackstar stage 60 which I really like a lot not much I cant pull off with it, but as everyone else pointed out the distortion circuits are based of there pedals not all tube breakup. another note if you decide to go with blackstar, I had a serious issue on mine and had to send it to korg to be repaired. korg was great, but my only complaint was I kept contacting blackstar for a month or so before I was told they didn't support their amps outside of great Britain and that I needed to contact korg.

have you ever considered carvin? I have an x100b that is by far my favorite amp. I realize you cant try them out unless you find one used, but they do make good gear and since they sell direct they are cheap

Comment

Mesa Boogies, they are built tough and Loud. I've had one for five years and haven't replaced One tube.

You can probably afford a Subway Rocket, F30, 22 or 50 caliber but it will have to be 'used'.

(If you can find a Mitchell Pro 50 or Pro 100, they are out there, they are a copy of a Mesa Boogie, cheaper but I have had one break on me after two + years (although I did have it plugged into a cheap Soundesign cabinet for awhile.

I also like the Fender Hot Rod Deluxe. PV Classic, Marshall DSL 50 (no TSL, for me).

Also, older Traynor amplifiers are copies of old Marshall plexi circuits, but weigh a ton, and look like the silverface Fender amps a little bit. Get a good Tube Screamer (or your choice of overdrive), and you are set up for metal!
        Last edited by treedroppings; 03-11-2015, 08:02 PM.
        Newspaper article fame, is a most Ironic form of game.
        www.exodusattack.com/forum/index.php

Comment

Mitchell's were good amps. Haven't thought of them for a long time.

Tman, get thee to a Mesa Boogie dealer...what you should try is the Express 5:50+ 112 combo. When you compare price, construction, reliability, ad most of all--TONE, you'll quickly realized that you're buying an amp that can handle a wide range of styles, and almost any venue you'll ever play. Yeah, it's a lot of money--but in the long run it's a better deal than buying four or five amps before you wind up back at square One. You'll waste time and money...the Mesa is an amp you'll keep forever.

Now, there are several Mesas that can work well for classic rock and blues, and can still handle other styles too. Mark III, IV, F-Series, DC-Series, Tremoverb, Lonestars, Heartbreaker, Maverick or the original Express--all professional amps, excellent quality, feature-rich and tone for days.

A great amp can inspire you to play more and play better, so why "settle" for a lesser amp? Time to take a deep breath and focus...go for the GOLD. Don't settle for third or fourth rate.

Best wishes,

Bill
          When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

The Mesa DC-5 can be had for around $500-600 used. It would be a good one for you. I used to gig with one quite a bit, there was a lot of good tone in there.
            Go Packers!

Comment

Originally posted by Matt42 View Post
              The Mesa DC-5 can be had for around $500-600 used. It would be a good one for you. I used to gig with one quite a bit, there was a lot of good tone in there.
              The DC-5 is awesome! The EQ can get some serious expanded tones!

Comment

Working...
              X