MIDI + Marshall JVM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MIDI + Marshall JVM

Just got a new Marshall JVM 205H, and it has Midi functionality!

I also have some delay, reverb, ect pedals. Since this amp has 6 channels, its a bit difficult on stage to select the right channel then turn on effects. Is there a midi pedal out there that I could load 20-??? presets? I'd rather not purchase a boss gt-10 or similar.

Re: MIDI + Marshall JVM

The best advice I can give you is to contact Disaster Area. They don't sell anything that's designed specifically for the JVM, but they could probably write you the software you would need to interface with the amp. Other than that, I know that the Musicomlab unit can do it, but it's like $800. Granted, you'd be able to incorporate 8 effects into your midi switching, but that's a lot of dough.
    Custom neck-thru strat
    1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
    1995 PRS CE24
    D'avanzo #8
    Breedlove Solo Concert
    1996 USA Dean Baby Z
    1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
    1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
    Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Comment

oh man I hear you, I got a marshall jvm 205h a year ago and although I really like the amp it was never stage friendly the way I used it. I never set an presets with the footswitch I basically set it up so the first button would toggle through a 3 modes of the clean/crunch channel, the second button toggled through the 3 modes of crunch/distortion channel, the third worked the effects loop and forth switched master volumes for my boost. how many presets do want to set up? if three or four will do it for you just use the footswitch. they also make a 6 button footswitch for the 410h which may work with the 205h (not sure so you may want to contact marshall by email to ask) but that can give you up to 6 presets and you want have to mess with a midi controller. I do know the guy I bought it from used a voodoo lab unit with it. good luck man

Comment

Check out Decebel 11. Also, the Voodoo Lab Ground Control/Pedal Switcher/HEX may work too.

I also agree with Disaster Area, do they already do a MIDI looper?
        Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

The JVM forum will probably be of more help for you

Comment

Originally posted by jackson111 View Post
            oh man I hear you, I got a marshall jvm 205h a year ago and although I really like the amp it was never stage friendly the way I used it. I never set an presets with the footswitch I basically set it up so the first button would toggle through a 3 modes of the clean/crunch channel, the second button toggled through the 3 modes of crunch/distortion channel, the third worked the effects loop and forth switched master volumes for my boost. how many presets do want to set up? if three or four will do it for you just use the footswitch. they also make a 6 button footswitch for the 410h which may work with the 205h (not sure so you may want to contact marshall by email to ask) but that can give you up to 6 presets and you want have to mess with a midi controller. I do know the guy I bought it from used a voodoo lab unit with it. good luck man
            Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
            Check out Decebel 11. Also, the Voodoo Lab Ground Control/Pedal Switcher/HEX may work too.

I also agree with Disaster Area, do they already do a MIDI looper?
            Voodoo Lab Ground Control will work, but I don't think it can handle the pedals without another pedal selector unit thing. I'm not familiar with midi or any of these rack units, is what I'm asking for even possible? Midi footswitch that will switch my amp and bring in certain effects (dependent on the patch)?

Comment

Originally posted by JOLLY View Post
              The JVM forum will probably be of more help for you
              I joined, but it seems slightly dead. Most of the good conversations was in 2010

Comment

Yeah I joined that forum as well and that was my take on it to

Comment

Let me see if I can get up with my friend and see how he had his setup. He didn't have pedals but he did have a rocktron multifx unit that the vodoo lab ground control would change the amp and the preset on the rocktron at the same time. It was pretty slick. He may be able to tell me about pedals

Comment

Originally posted by jackson111 View Post
                    Let me see if I can get up with my friend and see how he had his setup. He didn't have pedals but he did have a rocktron multifx unit that the vodoo lab ground control would change the amp and the preset on the rocktron at the same time. It was pretty slick. He may be able to tell me about pedals
                    please let me know. like I said I am not very familiar with midi, so I'm tempted to keep stomping like a dinosuar. I'm also tempted to ditch all the pedals and get the ground control and a miniverb. That would be a cool setup actually

Comment

MIDI switching was why I bought my JVM 410H.

IMHO, with a JVM you're best served with a good effects processor (I'm currently running an old Boss VF-1 with it, but intend to buy a TC electronic G-System for my JVM), but if you want to run your pedals you can do that too. RJM, Rocktron, Boss, Voodoo Labs, and a couple others make MIDI devices that have multiple loops that allow you to mix and match your pedals with MIDI presets.

Personally, If I were to run pedals I would go with a Voodoo Labs GCX Audio Switcher and the Behringer FCB 1010 that I already have.

And like others have said, JVMforum.com is a great resource, even if it doesn't get much traffic these days. It's where I got the info I needed to perform the mods I've done to my JVM.
                      Last edited by Gone_Shootin; 03-12-2015, 08:58 AM.
                      Wanted: 1982 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Serial Number 82232531.

Comment

Originally posted by Gone_Shootin View Post
                        MIDI switching was why I bought my JVM 410H.

IMHO, with a JVM you're best serves with a good effects processor, but if you want to run your pedals you can do that too. RJM, Rocktron, Boss, Voodoo Labs, and a couple others make MIDI devices that have multiple loops that allow you to mix and match your pedals with MIDI presets.

Personally, If I were to run pedals I would go with a Voodoo Labs GCX Audio Switcher and the Behringer FCB 1010 that I already have.
                        Awesome! We got a nice crew of JVM users here. Is there any product you would recommend? Preferably 1 unit that would control the pedals and amp, if that's possible

Comment

Originally posted by qaiso View Post
                          Voodoo Lab Ground Control will work, but I don't think it can handle the pedals without another pedal selector unit thing. I'm not familiar with midi or any of these rack units, is what I'm asking for even possible? Midi footswitch that will switch my amp and bring in certain effects (dependent on the patch)?
                          Yes, it can be done, fairly easily.

The Voodoo Lab GCX I mentioned above has 8 loops (there are others, just Google MIDI effects loop), and like most MIDI devices it has 128 presets. Each preset will remember which combination of loops are on/off, once you program it.

Think of it this way. The MIDI controller, such as the Behringer FCB1010 I mentioned above is the device that tells the other devices in the MIDI chain which preset to switch to. So when you hit button 1 on bank 1 on the FCB1010, that's MIDI preset #001, button 1 on bank 2 would be MIDI preset #011.

On your JVM, all you have to do to program MIDI presets is to switch it to MIDI mode and have a MIDI controller hooked up to it. Then for each preset, go through your MIDI switchable settings (channel, mode, FX on/off, Reverb on/off, ect), set them where you want them, then press the MIDI button on the front panel twice, and when it flashes multiple times and quits, it has saved the preset. Then go to the next preset with the MIDI controller and repeat. Piece of cake.
                          Last edited by Gone_Shootin; 03-12-2015, 09:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by qaiso View Post
                            Awesome! We got a nice crew of JVM users here. Is there any product you would recommend? Preferably 1 unit that would control the pedals and amp, if that's possible
                            Boss and Rocktron both make units that have loops and a MIDI controller in one unit, but IMHO, I would rather just have a rack mount MIDI FX loop device and just put the pedals in drawers in the same rack. That way my cables would be as short as possible for the effects and I would only need to have the MIDI cable running back to the amp. Less clutter that way.

Comment

awesome. one question on the jvm tho. when you save a preset, for example crunch green b/m/t all at 10, then save preset #2 b/m/t all at 2, does the amp switch the eq for on each channel as the presets, or is it whatever the knobs are currently at? That make sense?

Comment

Working...
                              X