Magnet size on amp speakers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magnet size on amp speakers

I have a question what does the magnet size on amp speakers do to the sound and tone for the speaker. I took out the cheap small magnet speaker that my hybrid amp had and replaced it with a Sheffield 1230 that has a big heavy magnet and it sounds way better and the tone improved also. Just was curious what the magnet size does to the overall sound?? thanks

Re: Magnet size on amp speakers

its just one aspect of a speaker that influences the sound. some speakers have big 50oz magnets, some have 30oz or smaller. magnet size doesnt make a better or worse speaker

Comment

"Bigger" isn't always "more"... A ceramic magnet is stronger than an alnico of the same weight, and the neodymium ones are much stronger than ceramic... Your sheffiled has a ceramic magnet, and was designed to handle a lot of power, so they're big...

This is why neo magnets are getting more popular... They're much lighter for the same power handling/specs..

Comment

Well taking the Celestion Greenbacks as a models we can compare the M model to the H model. The H stands for heavy magnet and the M stand for Medium magnet.

The H is noticabley louder, and it has more treble and more bass. The M sounds warmer and smoother, but the bass is is not as tight and controlled. It is not that one is better or worse but it depends on what you want it to sound like.

Comment

it also has a different voicecoil which im sure makes a difference as well

Comment

Working...
          X