ok wgs speaker help needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ok wgs speaker help needed

ok guys I went to go pick up the carvin 4x12 cab at my friends shop and he sold the day before I got there cause he didn't know I wanted it. he had another cab that was loaded with celestion rocket 50's and I didn't like that one at all. so I have decided to upgrade my current 2x12 cab I got instead. I have settled on wgs because of price, although I may look at some eminence. to give you an idea I play everything from metallica, hair metal, classic rock, southern rock, some country, and I play some blues (gary moore and joe bonamassa are my favorites). I guess my question is does anyone have any experience with wgs speakers? I have listened to their tone samples and watched some you tube videos and I have narrowed it down to the hm75, et65, reaper and et90. I did play through a marshall 1960 cab at my friends shop that had g12-75 celestion and I liked a lot about it but didn't like the lack of midrange. from what I heard on the demos of the hm75 (wgs alternative to the g12-75) it didn't seem so scooped sounded but still have the articulate high end and tight bottom with just enough mids.

they other question I had was the amp heads are a 50 watt marshall and a 100 carvin. I very rarely ever have it past 2 or 3 on the channel volume and keep my master volume set at about 5 or 6, with running the amp this low would I be ok to run my cabinet with 2 30 watt speakers?

Re: ok wgs speaker help needed

I have a 2x12 with an Et65 and a Veteran 30, I like this combo as the higher mids of the Vet 30 balances with the scooped mids of th Et65 and it works well for most styles of music. As far as using 2 30w speakers with your amps, you'll be fine with the Marshall, and should be OK with the Carvin if you don't push it too hard
    sigpic
    Gibson LP Trad Pro II->Various pedals->MEsa Boogie MkV->Owensby/219 Guitar Works Vertical Slant 2x12 w/WGS ET-65 and Veteran 30.

Comment

cool thanks never thought of mixing speakers! I have never done a speaker upgrade so I didn't know you could do that, but it makes sense. if I chose to mix speakers obviously I would need to match ohms but is it ok to mix watts?

Comment

It is OK to mix watts, but remember that when you mix them the power handling of the cab, for a 2x12, will be 2X the wattage of the lower powered speaker not the sum of the two wattages, ie. a green beret with an hm75 will handle 50w not 100w. I like to keep them 10-15w apart at most and try to keep efficiency close as well or one speaker will begin to over power the other
        sigpic
        Gibson LP Trad Pro II->Various pedals->MEsa Boogie MkV->Owensby/219 Guitar Works Vertical Slant 2x12 w/WGS ET-65 and Veteran 30.

Comment

ok cool good to know thanks. im glad you cleared up the wattage rating of the cab, cause that was going to be the next question.

Comment

Two different pairings I like (and own) in 2X12's are:
            1) WGS Reaper HP and Retro 30
            2) Eminence Wizard and a Swamp Thang
            The WGS are slightly darker/warmer; the Emi's brighter. Depends on your taste.
            For safety (to the speaker) reasons, you need 1.5X the amp's wattage. And as stated above, the cab's handling capability is 2X the lower of the two speakers. You can say you'll never crank the Carvin, but sooner or later........
            The Eminence pair will handle 150 watts, the WGS pair 100 watts.
            Good luck!

Comment

Emi Swamp Thang, IMO one of the best sounding and most versatile speakers made. Warm sounding, but very articulate. Good strong bass, solid mids, clear highs but not harsh at all.

Designed with heavier players in mind, the Swamp Thang provides a thick and chunky tone with loads of sustain. The awesome bottom end will hold up to even the most demanding drop-tune or 7 string players.

WGS G12C, this is an amazing speaker that sounds great doing just about everything. I like it a little more than the Swamp Thang (which used to be my favorite). I think it has a slightly more even EQ than the SW. Handles 75 watts each so there's more than enough to handle either of your amps. And it's only $76 each.

Discover premium guitar speakers at Warehouse Guitar Speakers (wgsusa.com), where tradition meets innovation. Our American Vintage series blends modern materials with time-tested techniques for iconic tones. The British Invasion Series pays homage to classic guitar sounds while charting new sonic territories...
              Originally Posted by IanBallard
              Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

You can usually win Carvin 2x12 cabs on GC used for $150 or les than two speakers

If you liked the way the Carvin sounded with your Carvin heads
                Get another one from GC used

*(Sent from my durned phone!)*
                EHD
                Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

ok guys thanks i am looking at ordering a retro 30 and an et65 as soon as i get home from a small vaction.

Comment

Working...
                  X