Talk to me about the Traynor YBA -1MOD1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Talk to me about the Traynor YBA -1MOD1

I am digging this amp on paper. My old rhythm guitarist had a Traynor an the thing was awesome. This amp is so feature full, I love the variable power settings. A built in attenuator! 12AX7 preamp tubes and two EL34 power tubes. I wish I could play this somewhere.

Re: Talk to me about the Traynor YBA -1MOD1

The more I research this amp the worse the GAS is getting.

Comment

It's a very big sounding amp in a small package. I played it through a 2x12 with v30s, and it was pretty killer, definitely has an old Marshall kind of vibe. The attenuator seemed to work pretty well. No channel switching kinda sucked though.

Vintage Traynors pop up around here pretty regularly for a lot less money . . . but when you factor in the cost of recapping, swapping out the 2 prong for 3 prong cord, and the attenuator I think the price of the new ones is reasonable.
      Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
      This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Probably sounds better then Meghan traynor either way man

Comment

Someone has had one on the local craigslist for a few weeks with a matching vertical 2x12 for $900. It is a great looking amp.

Comment

It is a shame no one around me deals Traynor. I don't want to by an amp based on faith and YouTube clips.

Comment

. . . Canadian vacation?
              Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
              This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
                . . . Canadian vacation?
                My humidor could use a few Cubans.

Comment

not enthralled about the build quality of those new Traynes..tubes mounted onto your pcb's when with the quality of modern tubes you must expect the potential of a tube related catastrophic flame out taking with it all your marginal quality circuitbaord traces and everything else down the line from where it happened.
                  Its probably a safe amp as long as you are diligent about changing tubes on a regular basis. Persoanally, I don't do any amps that have pcb mounted tubes sockets aside form my Peavey 6505, cause its my only hi gain amplifier.
                  I think this might be a good time for you to jump into the world of vintage amps- Traynor is a great start, and still a bargain, although not quite as easy or cheap to find as they used to be since word has spread . Look for an early 70's YBA_1a amp in good condition, and restore it.Lots of potential for modding, don't expect it to sound like near as good a old Bassman or a Marshall cause of the transformers which although built to survive a nuclear war, do not have the sweet stauration of those old Fenders or Marshalls.. Since its a early Bassman circuit, plus it takes pedals famoulsy. I have one.
                  Last edited by MetalManiac; 03-21-2015, 04:48 PM.
                  "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Comment

Working...
                  X