Half the power in amp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Half the power in amp

I have a Bugera 333xl 120w combo. I was wondering if I can take some tubes out in order to cut the power? I need very little power for the small practice room we have and want to save the tubes if possible. I really don't want to risk causing damage to anything. I appreciate any help you can give.
    Guitars:
    Schecter E-1 FR S (Sustaniac/Apocalypse), LEF EXP (Mayhem Set), Schecter C-1 Classic (Jazz/Distortion), Squire Affinity Strat (Hotrails)

Amps:
    Peavey MX VTX, Bugera 333x Infinium

Pedals:
    AMT SS-11B

Re: Half the power in amp

You can remove a pair of the power tubes, but you'll be dropping from 120 watts to 60 watts, which really isn't that much quieter.

The 333XL is a master volume amp. You could just turn down the volume.
    Nope...

Comment

By pulling two tubes, doesn't that change the impedance as well? Don't quote me on that, but I believe I've read that before.
      My songs....enjoy! (hopefully )

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=652921
      or for older stuff too, but slower downloads
      http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp...=301569&T=7414

Originally posted by DankStar
      700 watts is ok for small clubs, but when you play with a loud drummer or at a medium-large sized venue, you really need 1,500-watts at least. no one should be left alive.

Comment

Originally posted by 75lespaul View Post
        By pulling two tubes, doesn't that change the impedance as well? Don't quote me on that, but I believe I've read that before.
        Yes, that two. I forget which direction it goes in (halves or doubles whatever the normal output is).

But, like I said... Master volume? Easy as a knob turn. I rehearse just fine with my rehearsal studio's DSL100 at about 2.5 on the master.

If you want power tube distortion, you're going to need an attenuator of some form so that you don't blast your face off.
        Nope...

Comment

pulling 2 tubes to save wear on the other 2 is a bad idea... No one here mentioned you HAVE To pull either the middle 2 or the outside 2... you cannot pull the 2 on the left or right and you have to halve the ohms on the back of the amp.

If you run the amp this way for some time and you put the other 2 tubes back in the wear will be uneven. The old tubes will draw less current than the new. At best the amp will be a little more noisy from the imbalance. At worst it if the imbalance is severe enough it can cause some weird surging in the sound issues.

Let the tubes wear as a set. Even an attenuator is an imperfect solution if you want to save wear on your tubes. An attenuator sound like pewp if you crank an amp to 10 and then dial it down to conversation levels. Its good if you need to run your amp on 5 but sound like its on 3. But it will still wear the tubes like the amp is on 5.

If you need something very quiet for your practice space I would suggest a different amp. That way you can save your tube amp for when it counts.
          "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
          you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

Originally posted by Edgecrusher View Post
            pulling 2 tubes to save wear on the other 2 is a bad idea... No one here mentioned you HAVE To pull either the middle 2 or the outside 2... you cannot pull the 2 on the left or right and you have to halve the ohms on the back of the amp.

If you run the amp this way for some time and you put the other 2 tubes back in the wear will be uneven. The old tubes will draw less current than the new. At best the amp will be a little more noisy from the imbalance. At worst it if the imbalance is severe enough it can cause some weird surging in the sound issues.

Let the tubes wear as a set. Even an attenuator is an imperfect solution if you want to save wear on your tubes. An attenuator sound like pewp if you crank an amp to 10 and then dial it down to conversation levels. Its good if you need to run your amp on 5 but sound like its on 3. But it will still wear the tubes like the amp is on 5.

If you need something very quiet for your practice space I would suggest a different amp. That way you can save your tube amp for when it counts.
            This. Edgecrusher knows his stuff.

I would've touched upon these points, but I really think he should just turn the master down. LOL

Sent from my Moto X 2014 using Tapatalk
            Nope...

Comment

Originally posted by GilmourD View Post
              but I really think he should just turn the master down. LOL
              I agree there...

I mentioned the other stuff cause he wanted to save wear on his tubes. In reality low master volume settings will save his tubes.
              "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

Now that you mention it Edge, it sounds very logical and makes me feel kind of retarded. lol. Thanks a lot!
                Guitars:
                Schecter E-1 FR S (Sustaniac/Apocalypse), LEF EXP (Mayhem Set), Schecter C-1 Classic (Jazz/Distortion), Squire Affinity Strat (Hotrails)

Amps:

Pedals:
                AMT SS-11B

Comment

Originally posted by emilio View Post
                  Now that you mention it Edge, it sounds very logical and makes me feel kind of retarded. lol. Thanks a lot!
                  Sorry wasnt my intention... I just wanted you to know all the possible cons it could have before you decided to go ahead with it.

Comment

I know man. I thank you all very much for your input. It was helpful. \m/
                    Guitars:

Amps:

Pedals:
                    AMT SS-11B

Comment

Get a Peavey Valveking MH20 and your problem is solved. Cutting the wattage in half won't help.

Comment

I stumbled across this Premier Guitar article on pulling tubes from your amp: http://www.premierguitar.com/article...o-reduce-power . Interestingly, it mentions that you can pull both the outer, both the inner, or pull alternating tubes with no problem.
                        Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                        This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
                          I stumbled across this Premier Guitar article on pulling tubes from your amp: http://www.premierguitar.com/article...o-reduce-power . Interestingly, it mentions that you can pull both the outer, both the inner, or pull alternating tubes with no problem.
                          That does make sense since the two tubes on each side are in parallel with each other, so it doesn't matter which you pull as long as you pull one from each side. Here's an AB763 Fender Twin as an example. You can see how each side is wired.

Nope...

Comment

you could take out 2 tubes, rebias and go...but like someone said it wont be that might quieter. Also some have reported the bass becomes more flubby and other bad things.

Comment

Like I said before...

Click image for larger version

Name:	333XL Master Volume.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	5784656
                              Nope...

Comment

Working...
                              X