Marshall Amp Head Cabinet for DSL40

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marshall Amp Head Cabinet for DSL40

I have a Marshall DSL40C I bought last year brand new. While I love the amp, I wish it was easier to carry. I'm considering putting the amp into a head cabinet. Has anyone thought about doing the same thing?

Re: Marshall Amp Head Cabinet for DSL40

you... could sell the combo, take a little loss perhaps, and get a used made in UK DSL50 head?
    I mean how much is getting a head shell going to cost? Will you try to find a pre-fab one that fits, will you get the combo cab chopped up and redone, or get a custom head shell? Sounds like a PITA cuz Marshall already basically already made what you're asking for and if you didn't end up liking the amp so well down the road, you can flip a used UK DSL amp for whatever you paid. They run about $650 to $700.
    Flip it, pay a little money, and have a made in UK marshall head. That's what I'd do.

btw, cool amps, those DSL series. I had the 50W head and I liked it but i almost never got to crank it and have been using smaller amps since then.
    Last edited by FuseG4; 04-06-2015, 01:55 PM.

Comment

+1. I'd just get a DSL 50 head too.
      Custom neck-thru strat
      1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
      1995 PRS CE24
      D'avanzo #8
      Breedlove Solo Concert
      1996 USA Dean Baby Z
      1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
      1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
      Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Comment

I think he will lose way more money selling a one year old amp, than if he just buys a head box from one of the many cab builders.
        Of course he will need a speaker cab either way, but if he buys a head box, he could use the abandoned combo cab for that.......all depends on how much "disposable" money is available I guess.
        good luck
        Last edited by zzmoore; 04-06-2015, 04:48 PM.
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gY73mb28orM
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35mZ4BAvEbg
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nToonE52DG8
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMl-ddFbSF0

Comment

A buddy of mine recently talked to his go-to cab building guy about a plywood enclosure for his DSL-40CST, an upgrade from the stock MDF box. I was surprised at how reasonable it was. PM me if you want me to scare up more details.
          Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
          Rich Stevens

"I am using you; am I amusing you?" - Martha Johnson, What People Do For Fun

Comment

I've got a good buddy that can help me make the cabinet itself, so that's not a big deal. The DSL40C cabinet could be reused or something. I'm not sure if a DSL50 is the same thing. Even the DSL40C is louder then hell to begin with. I couldn't imagine playing anything larger.

Comment

Originally posted by Detroitblues View Post
              I've got a good buddy that can help me make
              This is usually the wrong route.

My first inclination is to post a Craigslist ad for a straight trade for a DSL 50. The only other choice is to pay a hundred or so for a Marshall replica head cab. Anything else will look like you went out of your way to save money. Anytime I hear "buddy" I think a mistake is about to happen.
              Originally posted by Boogie Bill
              I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

What if your buddy is a cabinet maker?
                Though I have already recommended these guys on another thread: http://www.gregsproaudio.com/product...peaker-cabinet

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser View Post
                  [snip] Anytime I hear "buddy" I think a mistake is about to happen.
                  So I got this buddy, see? And he does heart surgery for pennies on the dollar, see? So whadaya say I's hook you up witch him for your pro-seed-ur, eh?
                  "Always remember... all you do in life, comes back to you" - Roy Kahn, formerly of Kamelot, during the intro to "Karma" on their One Cold Winter's Night DVD

http://www.soundcloud.com/jwflamenco

Comment

hey doesn't Mojo Tone make replacement head and cab stuff? I know on some stuff they list the combo replacement head shell right on their web sight. I think on youtube Gearmandude did this with one of his Fender combos and stuck it in a different cab. check Mojo Tone and see if you can find a replacement like what your talking about. if so you can pull the amp chassis out of the combo and screw it into a pre-made amp head but you will still need to put your speaker in its own cab too. I don't know-check their web sight out or call them. theres other makers that do it too. I saw a guy who did it with a VHT?- combo and turned it into a head and 2x12 cab. it was very cool but he used a company that pre-made the stuff and it turns out the tubes hung upside down in the head cuz thats the way his combo chassis was made for his tubes initially.

Comment

One problem is that the DSL40C chassis is top-mounted, so the faceplate would be upside down in a normal Marshall-style head shell.
                      Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
                      Rich Stevens

"I am using you; am I amusing you?" - Martha Johnson, What People Do For Fun

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser View Post
                        This is usually the wrong route.

My first inclination is to post a Craigslist ad for a straight trade for a DSL 50. The only other choice is to pay a hundred or so for a Marshall replica head cab. Anything else will look like you went out of your way to save money. Anytime I hear "buddy" I think a mistake is about to happen.
                        Oh, he's quite a cabinet builder. Typically, his cabinets are made out of Cherry, Ash, Alder, and Pine (only if its being covered). He's made some really nice cabinets for several years now. His dovetail work is amazing.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich_S View Post
                          One problem is that the DSL40C chassis is top-mounted, so the faceplate would be upside down in a normal Marshall-style head shell.
                          I thought about that too, it would mean a much taller cabinet to fit the tubes and tranny's inside. Might need a fan mounted as well since the DSL40C is open back, it gets some air. I'll probably put a vent in one side and a fan motor in the other.

Comment

Working...
                          X