Barely any sound coming from amp.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barely any sound coming from amp.

I was playing last night and all of the sudden my amp got dead quiet. So I checked everything to make sure nothing came unhooked. When I checked the back of the amp all of the jacks were loose and the speaker cable had come out. The 2 screws that hold the ohm selector had came loose as well.
    I tightened everything back up but noticed the speaker cable does not plug in as securely and the ohm selector almost feels like something came loose. I checked the tubes they are all glowing nicely. I checked the fuse it looked fine but I replaced it anyway. Now there is a very faint sound coming from the amp. With the volume at half way it is lower than a whisper you can barely hear it.
    What you can hear sounds real fizzy and bad.
    I called guitar center since I bought it from them and told the sales guy I wanted the pro coverage when I got it. But after pulling up my order number he did not add it. So now I am 6 days past my 30 days and my amp decides to crap out. I am going to call about having it looked at under warranty. But incase I can't where should I look? If I can figure out the problem then it will not cost as much for the tech to fix it. Since I can take out some of the guess work.

Re: Barely any sound coming from amp.

If the jack is loose then that's the problem

If you can get to it then the center "tip" connector has bent out and isn't making connection

If it's a tube amp
    You amp isn't seeing the speaker load

You need to bend that prong back in

*(Sent from my durned phone!)*
    EHD
    Just here surfing Guitar Pron
    RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
    SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
    Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
    Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
    Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
    Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
    GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Everything is tightened down and still nothing. I decided to break it down once I got the chassis out I found 2 things that I have to fix. The speaker input jack is pcb mounted and the metal part where the cable plugs in separated from the body. Ohm selector switch has came apart into 6 pieces. One apart is still soldered to the pcb but there are 4 little pieces of metal that are covered in grease laying beside it.
      2 are curved slightly and the other 2 come to points sticking up in the middle.

Comment

What amp is it?

I assume that you bought it brand new because you mentioned something about warranty. If so, I wouldn't touch anything. It more than likely will be covered by the manufacturer's warranty. Trying to fix it yourself will void the warranty. Contact the manufacturer's customer service department, tell them what happened (don't tell them that you pulled the chassis). They will either have you take it to one of their certified techs, or send it in.
        Wanted: 1982 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Serial Number 82232531.

Comment

It is one of the bad cat cougar combos. Guitar center called me today and want me to just return it. The customer service said they have had a lot of them had to be returned.

Comment

bummer. havent had any issues with mine. yet.

Comment

Hopefully you won't. It's a good sounding amp. The only problem I had up to this point was the foot switch jack. It never worked right I had to wiggle the cable to get it to work. If it got bumped then would stop working again. When it would stop working the reverb would not work at all.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                bummer. havent had any issues with mine. yet.
                Me neither, but it's good to know that I'd better be careful with the jacks. So far, they feel solid, but I know that inexpensive amps often cut corners on jacks/pots/switches.
                Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

ive dragged mine out every week since i got it and its still holding together so far but im going to spend some time this weekend and check to make sure everything is tight

Comment

Didn't someone else get a DOA one from Musician's Friend?

Director of Arizona Young Voters Initiative

https://www.azyoungvoters.org

Twitter:
                    @ArizonaVoters

Comment

Don't touch it in case they do cover it under warranty. Alter anything they will negate it. Tell them you'll slam them on fb, the net, guitar sites etc... I'd guess its the pre amp... even a weak pre amp tube will cause this...it will glow but it doesn't mean its fine. Lose everything and new? If you have other people who have access to your amp, someone may have 'exchanged' tubes. .. Hope they honor the warranty...be loud about it if you have to. One disgruntled customer can kill ten sales' so do it when it busy on Saturday or after 6, not when it's slow....

Comment

I love customers......can I take them out in the backyard and shoot them now??

Hope you get an amp that works!

Comment

My Cougar 50 made me $1400 tonight. A PRS McCarty Duncan 59 neck through the gain channel, doing Santana style soloing for 6 hours. Good thing it didn't go down!
                          Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                          I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

howd that work joe? i need to get in on that game.

Comment

Working...
                            X