What makes an All Tube amp ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What makes an All Tube amp ?

If you look inside a simple single channel non-master volume amp it's not like there's nothing in it but tubes. There's lots of stuff in there that isn't tubes that presumably makes a contribution to the behaviour and sound of the amp. Are amps that use diode clipping not all tube amps ?

Just wondered.....

Re: What makes an All Tube amp ?

Tubes? Lol, I never really thought about it like that, you make a valid point? I think technically speaking if it uses diode clipping it's not "all tube" but that doesn't mean they don't call it an all tube amp. I was always under the impression that "All Tube" refers specifically to the power, pre amp, & reflector sections of the amplifier? Then again I've seen amps with S.S. reflectors advertised as all tube as well???
    I live in Northern New Hampshire, we shoot the things we don't understand here???

Comment

Originally posted by richard parker View Post
      If you look inside a simple single channel non-master volume amp it's not like there's nothing in it but tubes. There's lots of stuff in there that isn't tubes that presumably makes a contribution to the behaviour and sound of the amp. Are amps that use diode clipping not all tube amps ?

Just wondered.....
      In an "all tube signal path" there won't be anything but capacitors and resistors. The only solid-state diodes might be in the power section for rectification, unless the amp uses a tube rectifier.
      Nope...

Comment

Originally posted by Nostalgic Distortion View Post
        Tubes? Lol, I never really thought about it like that, you make a valid point? I think technically speaking if it uses diode clipping it's not "all tube" but that doesn't mean they don't call it an all tube amp. I was always under the impression that "All Tube" refers specifically to the power, pre amp, & reflector sections of the amplifier? Then again I've seen amps with S.S. reflectors advertised as all tube as well???
        Reflectors?
        Nope...

Comment

I've always figured an all tube amp uses tubes in both the pre and power sections. If an amp is using solid state devices in either, it's not all tube.
          Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
          This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
            I've always figured an all tube amp uses tubes in both the pre and power sections. If an amp is using solid state devices in either, it's not all tube.
            Isn't there a JCM900 that has clipping diodes in the signal path for more distortion?
            Nope...

Comment

Some of the JCM800 amps had clipping diodes.

Comment

If your gain isn't coming from the vacuum tubes, you don't have an all tube amp. That would make the amp some sort of hybrid.
                Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
                  If your gain isn't coming from the vacuum tubes, you don't have an all tube amp. That would make the amp some sort of hybrid.

what if some of the gain is from diodes and some was from tubes? Many of the amps Friedman makes are like this. Its a version of the much venerated "jose" mod from Jose Arrendo. Marshall has used diodes to boost gain starting with the Jubilee amps, also the 2210's and 2205 and the JCM900's

There are a ton of modern amps that use a combination of tube and diode gain. All of which are billed as "all tube"
                  "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
                  you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

I think the definition has changed a bit....or at least there is some tolerance there as to what is classed as all tube. Even with a clipping stage, you could still possibly get away with the 'all tube' designation as tubes control all the signal amplification.

And I'd still call an amp all tube if it had a solid state rectifier.....

Its one of those 'no consensus' issues, as there is both a literal and figurative definition at play.

Comment

Originally posted by Edgecrusher View Post
                      what if some of the gain is from diodes and some was from tubes? Many of the amps Friedman makes are like this. Its a version of the much venerated "jose" mod from Jose Arrendo. Marshall has used diodes to boost gain starting with the Jubilee amps, also the 2210's and 2205 and the JCM900's

There are a ton of modern amps that use a combination of tube and diode gain. All of which are billed as "all tube"
                      A 5150 is all tube (no diodes) and sure as heck doesn't need any boost.
                      Nope...

Comment

Originally posted by GilmourD View Post
                        A 5150 is all tube (no diodes) and sure as heck doesn't need any boost.
                        Ok but that wasnt the point. There are many that do have diodes was the point.

BTW most metal guys use a boost with a 5150
                        "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
                        you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

Just wondered.....
                          Yes.....they are all tube. There has never been a guitar amp that did not have diodes in it.
                          "All Tube" refers to the fact (you can judge whether or not it is important) that all the amplification is via vacuum tubes.....no SS Devices such as transistors or Op Amps.
                          All the voltage amplification in the preamp is from tubes.
                          All the current amplification in the power amp is from tubes.
                          You are correct, of course, "all tube" guitar amps are full of components besides tubes.
                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gY73mb28orM
                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35mZ4BAvEbg
                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nToonE52DG8
                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMl-ddFbSF0

Comment

Originally posted by GilmourD View Post
                            Isn't there a JCM900 that has clipping diodes in the signal path for more distortion?
                            yep. there are actually lots of amps that use that kind of configuration.

To the OP: there is really no such thing as all tube. Every amp need lots of other stuff including resistors, capacitors, wire, cabinets etc. I this sounds facetious but its true. So what this means is the term "all tube" is just marketing jargon and everybody has their own definition of what "all tube" means.
                            Some might say an all tube amp needs tubes in the preamp as well as the power amp. However, what if they have solid state rectification? Is that an amp that is no longer "all tube"? What about mesa boogies where you can switch rectifiers?
                            Many modern marshalls and other high gain amps have diode clipping circuits to get high levels of distortion with reliable running. Does employing clipping diodes make the amp no longer "all tube"?
                            How about amps that claim to have a tube preamp...but that it is really just one 12ax7, with the rest of the gain stages made up using transistors?
                            How about amps with no clipping diodes and a pair of tubes in the preamp, but a solid state phase inverter before hitting the power tubes?

Anyways....there is no such thing as "all tube". It just comes down to what each tube in an amp does, and how the amp sounds to your ears.
                            I have found that even some classic amps such as a 5e3 or princetons can be improved by replacing the tube recitfier with an ss circuit. In the end it comes down to taste and how the amp feels when you play it.
                            If you want to get as close as possible to the concept of "all tube" you have to look at the job of what tubes do, which is more or less the same job as what transitors do. So i guess the closest you can get to "all tube" would be an amp that only has tubes, and no transistors anywhere in the circuit.

Whatevs man...don't get too hung up on it. You need other things apart from tubes to make an amp work, so play a few and trust your ears.
                            "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                            Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

If you look inside a simple single channel non-master volume amp it's not like there's nothing in it but tubes.

There's lots of stuff in there that isn't tubes that presumably makes a contribution to the behaviour and sound of the amp.

Are amps that use diode clipping not all tube amps ?

Just wondered.....
                              Originally posted by Nostalgic Distortion View Post
                              Tubes? Lol, I never really thought about it like that, you make a valid point?

I think technically speaking if it uses diode clipping it's not "all tube" but that doesn't mean they don't call it an all tube amp.

I was always under the impression that "All Tube" refers specifically to the power, pre amp, & reflector sections of the amplifier?

Then again I've seen amps with S.S. reflectors advertised as all tube as well???

I am not an electrical engineer, nor do i understand much about it, and this is only in my opinion, but to me (seen through my eyes) a valve/tube amp needing the help of diodes for clipping, in NOT an all valve/tube amp.

Again, i am probably wrong on a technical / amp engineering standpoint, but for ME, it is not all valve/tube.

That is why i get so frustrated when Blackstar Amps advertize their entry level amps as ''all tube'' units.
                              The box & manual should atleast say, ''all tube, with the aid of diodes''.
                              Why ?
                              Then there is no finger pointing for false advertizing.

Again, just imho.
                              Tele, SG, LP Jr, '76 Ibanez Artist & Tokai LS92 + FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / '73 Orange OR120 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Orange Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 / Marshall Vintage Modern 50 & 2X12 Genz Benz g-Flex / Laney Klipp / Laney AOR Pro Tube 100

"...it's a tree with a microphone" - Leslie West

Comment

Working...
                              X