Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Practical Experience with a Night Train

Hi Guys,

Just wondering if there is anybody here who has actually gigged with a vox night train 15h(old one). I saw one on sale used for 200 bucks. Few questions:

1. Is it loud and clear enough through a G12 greenback?

2. Can you really dial up various tones in bright mode?

3. Does it hiss or get fizzy?

4. Does the thick mode have any uses, or is it just a gimmick?

I have a lil night train which sounds good at low volumes through a greenback speaker but with the volume at 11 o clock it sounds like loud noise. My pathfinder on the other hand sounds amazing, and I don't want to have two useless and noisy amps lying around.

Thanks again

Re: Practical Experience with a Night Train

If you think your lil night train is too loud, your really gonna dislike the bigger one...

Comment

Here here.

I've used it for quite a while, but by now, I've really modified mine pretty heavily.

Stock: The EQ doesn't really do much in bright mode, it's pretty ineffective. They only really make marginal differences. The thick mode is cool, but there's gobs of gain where you sometimes need to back off the preamp gain and boost the power amp for it to sound good. The thick mode also bypasses the EQ, and there's a lot of mids. I like it with a treble booster.

Modified: I like it so much better. I hated some of the fizz with gain and very glassy brightness, as I wanted a smoother highly overdriven/saturated amp, which is the Vox sound IMO. So I did the Lyle Caldwell mods (made a few changes to his suggestions though, mostly changing the values of HP filters and LP filters. Those mods really tamed the fizz, brightness, and tightened the lows a bit, but I also installed a choke to help clean up some of the AC ripple that caused some really nasty overdriven sounds, especially on the low end. The mods also lowered the overall amount of preamp gain (mostly just getting rid of all the un-usable gain that was previously there), and slightly less noise. I send it to an open back 2x12 with Celestion G12 Century Vintage speakers. It can get really loud, good enough for gigs, and now it sounds great at all volumes. I still use the thick channel with a treble booster. It doesn't have a whole lot of range, but it'll fit in a mix. I'm thinking of putting a serial FX loop in it so I can put an EQ in the loop if I need to tweak it more.

Comment

Bright mode with a strat NAILS the "Sweet Home Alabama" tone which is pretty fizzy and glassy. I used it in thick mode most of the time and then with an overdrive MAINLY so I could have access to something that would tweak the tone since the normal eq gets bypassed in thick mode. I wouldn't call it a gimmick as it was my meat and potatoes with the thing. I would've loved to have access to the eq in thick mode and a footswitch to go to bright mode when I wanted, but it didn't have any of that, maybe they had one for sale separately. The newer Night Train 50 actually fixes a lot of this with 2 channels (bright/girth) in addition to the thick mode, an optional footswitch, more output to help cut through, etc.

I never got around to modding it but traded it for another fender-style 15w that could cut through at live volumes a bit better. Even on thick mode, that guy is pretty bright, but as said, it is kind of loose in the lows. It's an excellent amp for a lead guitarist in a band.
        Last edited by Falloffthebonetone; 08-16-2015, 02:21 PM.

Comment

Bought one, let the fun begin. Surpised by how loud it is, and how well it retains those very nice voxy cleans in pentode mode. The thick mode is another beast altogether

Sent from my SCL22 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by atf View Post

Bought one, let the fun begin. Surpised by how loud it is, and how well it retains those very nice voxy cleans in pentode mode. The thick mode is another beast altogether

Sent from my SCL22 using Tapatalk
            I kno rite?

Comment

Working...
            X