Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am refurbbing a Marshall cab and I have some questions

refurbing a Marshall MF400 cab. It has "metal piping" per this:

Get the guaranteed best price on Guitar Amplifier Cabinets like the Marshall MF400 Mode Four 400W 4x12 Cab at Musician's Friend. Get a low price and free shipping on thousands of items.

It's really just a kind of metal outline around the grill cloth. I guess it's technically piping? It's thrashed and if possible I'd like to ditch it and use a more normal white piping. But how do you install it? I can't seem to find a good tutorial on it anywhere.

Also, how do you install the corners with rivets? I get that you basically destroy the rivets when you take them out but how do you put them back in and where do you find black rivets?

Thanks!

Re: I am refurbbing a Marshall cab and I have some questions

I've never installed piping but recently replaced a baffle on a cabinet. The piping has a flat section that can be stapled through and the piping bead is on one end of it. I think you'd just have to slit the flat section at the corners so you could make the 90 degree turn. You have to remove the speaker baffle to install it. I have seen a tutorial on it. I'll post a link if I find it.

The rivets for the corners ... Always wondered about those. So I googled it for you (hint, hint ). Looks like they snap over a wire inside the holes. How they do the wire at the factory, I have no idea. But, this should help.

Comment

ha thanks. yes, I googled the bejesus out of both of these things with little luck.

I actually read both of those threads in my own search and didn't find them super helpful.

Comment

If I remember correctly I found a cool tutorial on mojotones site?

Comment

The piping on that cab is just an aluminum trim.
          ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
          ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
          ••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Comment

Originally posted by d1dsj View Post
            If I remember correctly I found a cool tutorial on mojotones site?
            ah thanks. I'll check there

Comment

Originally posted by Van Noord View Post
              The piping on that cab is just an aluminum trim.
              exactly! And I'd prefer to just have a normal, more traditional piping

Comment

what kind of glue do people use? I'm leaning towards 3M Super 77 just cause it's spray and looks easier to use than the mojotone stuff.

Comment

Also, just cause I'm being annoying with questions anyways...

do you think this 32" wide grill cloth--http://www.mojotone.com/Large-Check-Grill-Cloth_2?ext=F#.Ve9sdpfG-6E

will be wide enough on this oversized cab? The dimensions of the cab are 30"x36"x15". I know the baffle is maybe an inch or so smaller than the full cab dimensions. Assuming that guess is right it leaves me maybe an inch wiggle room on each side. If you line it up perfect that's probably do-able. Right? Only real bummer is I'll have to get 2 yards of grill cloth cause it's so tall.

Comment

You only need a small amount of grill material overlap around the baffle edge, maybe 1cm or so. Just so long as you can get your staples in it basically.

To install the white piping I normally lie the cab face down on a table and have the edge Im working along overhanging the edge of the table. staple with your right hand and hold the piping with your left. You wont be able to see what you are doing but go by feel alone, and then just check its straight afterwards. use a flat head screwdriver to push it into the corners.

You do not need glue to install the piping or the grill. Its stapled on.
                    www.bygonetones.com

Comment

super helpful. thanks!

to be clear, you're just installing the piping to the cab, not the baffle correct?

So, you buy a big run of piping, you staple it all in and get the corners just right...........how do you conceal the two ends of the piping where they meet so it looks good?

Comment

well normally marshall start the white piping at the top left corner and cut it at a 45 degree angle. the other end is also cut at a 45 degree angle and so long as they are stapled close together at the corner where they meet, then the seam is not really visible unless you look at it very closely.

or what some other cab makers do is join the white piping on a straight section, but hold the piping together by putting something like a toothpick inside the piping to hold the 2 pieces together.

here is one I did a while ago:

Last edited by bygone_tones; 09-09-2015, 01:35 PM.
                        www.bygonetones.com

Comment

now I get it. Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by blakejcan View Post
                            Also, just cause I'm being annoying with questions anyways...

do you think this 32" wide grill cloth--http://www.mojotone.com/Large-Check-Grill-Cloth_2?ext=F#.Ve9sdpfG-6E

will be wide enough on this oversized cab? The dimensions of the cab are 30"x36"x15". I know the baffle is maybe an inch or so smaller than the full cab dimensions. Assuming that guess is right it leaves me maybe an inch wiggle room on each side. If you line it up perfect that's probably do-able. Right? Only real bummer is I'll have to get 2 yards of grill cloth cause it's so tall.
                            You can work with an inch extra per side but don't forget to count the thickness of the board. The stiff cloth doesn't really stretch which means you need a good grip when you go to pull tight enough to keep the pattern lined up with the edge. I just went through this exact same thing with barely enough material to work with. It's doable but my hands hurt when I was done. Here is the thread from a few months back. https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...Cloth-any-tips

Comment

Thanks Darg! I've done grill cloth on a 1x12 Fender style cab. It's not quite as tight as it should be and not dead straight but totally passable. But I had a ton of extra material to work with on that one too so it was no sweat. Plus the overall baffle size was so much smaller that not being perfectly lined up wasn't as obvious. A slightly skewed line on a 4x12 would be a big mess.

I'm going to pull the baffle and measure it to see what will work. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                              X