Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tube Question – Replacing a 12AX7 with a 12AT7

Originally posted by jtougas View Post
    The V18. A Fender Blues Jr. is probably in my future, as well. Either that or finally gulp the Mesa koolaid and get one of them. I like my flexibility, but I don't need buttloads of amps cramping up my space.
    Yeah, that was one I thought would be a cheap alternative...ended up just using a Vox Valtronix that I gave my dad...it got me thru without losing any dough. lol

I had a Mesa Boogie DC-5 that was affordable and absolutely awesome! I miss that amp but honestly prefer the Clean tones of the Fender Hot Rod Deluxe (drive is a WHOLE 'nother story!)

I want a Blues Jr. because it is half the output of the Hot Rod Deluxe and a little smaller (the handle on mine has broken twice already...replaced with an OEM one and still broke again...)

Comment

I played through a Blues Jr recently, and was quite happy with it... but I really want an amp that gives me a good cleans, and good distortions all the way up from mild crunch to full crush.
      "Screw regulations. Bring the noise."

Comment

I played through a Blues Jr recently, and was quite happy with it... but I really want an amp that gives me a good cleans, and good distortions all the way up from mild crunch to full crush.
        Sounds like you may just need to go for the Mesa lol I really like the Dual Calibers–the idea behind them (if my research was right when I had mine) was that the Drive Channel was similar to a Rectifier while the Clean Channel was similar to a Mark Series. Great sounding amp, the DC-5 was just too much for me. lol

I got a local Amp Company, Acorn Amps, to mod the Drive section of my HRD to be similar to a Mesa. While they definitely beefed it up I still prefer my pedals through the clean section of the HRD so I think a Blues Jr. would be more than fine for me.

Comment

Yeah, less than 20w would be a good thing...
          "Screw regulations. Bring the noise."

Comment

Yeah, less than 20w would be a good thing...
            Ha! Yeah, I'm going for around the 20 watts..preferably less lol

Hopefully though this 12AT7 will suffice for the time being!

Comment

Update, the 12AT7 came in and I swapped it in for the first position 12AX7. Used it live on Sunday and was super happy with the results! My clean channel is able to be turned up to around 5. Really happy with the tones at the volume levels. The regular drive ("More Drive" turned off) sounds more bluesy with my Eastman E8D and Bill Lawrence A300 than it did before.

Question though, when on the drive channel with "More Drive" its like super hot...like volume at 2 and almost too loud. I was able to have it around 3 before the switch and it wasn't this loud on the drive channel (using the same guitar, Fender Strat with Fat 50s.) My Hot Rod Deluxe is a '95, which I believe is the first year it came out, and has been used and abused. I had it worked over by a local amp company that modded the drive channel to get more of a Mesa type drive...so maybe something is going on there or maybe its just a worn amp that needs some more work or something.

Any ideas on the super loud "more drive"?

Comment

My guess is a loss of compression from the lower gain preamp tube. It's possible that your 'mesa mod' influences this as well, but I don't know the HRDx well enough to comment further.
                Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Originally posted by dystrust View Post
                  My guess is a loss of compression from the lower gain preamp tube. It's possible that your 'mesa mod' influences this as well, but I don't know the HRDx well enough to comment further.
                  I appreciate the feedback! The handle is broken on the amp so I need to take it back to the shop to get a beefier fix on it–I will inquire about the volume issue then...oh and the Reverb quit working on the amp (not a big problem due to a Holy Grail from forum bro Nostalgic Distortion) but would like to get it looked at as well. The response I am getting on the clean and regular drive are just too good to switch back for normal volume with the More Drive section.

Thanks again!

Comment

I'm not familiar with the circuitry of your amp, but it could be that the "more drive" doesn't even use the V1 tube and therefore hasn't changed at all. But since your clean is now quieter, the "more drive" sounds louder by comparison.

The 12AT7 makes a great PI tube, by the way.
                    Originally Posted by IanBallard
                    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Working...
                    X