Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tolex glue

What do you use?

I am about to use 3M Super 77 but then read some bad reviews about how it pulls off in heat or after some time.

Thinking maybe going with the stuff from antique electronic now?

Re: Tolex glue

Helloooooooo

Comment

I've used Super 77 for tolex on panels, not an entire cabinet. It's held up fine but nothing has been subjected to heavy use or high temperatures. I used to mainly use Super 90 ( and a spray adhesive that PE used to sell) to carpet subwoofer boxes and panels that were exposed to heat and cold in cars and trucks. That stuff held up no problem. But I used 77 in those applications as well with no problems. But that unbacked carpet is different than tolex.

My guess, if 77 has that reputation, is that maybe its due to not being applied heavily enough because, as I stated, it has held up in the heat inside vehicles. The 90 is a bit different, it lays down with more of a thicker, almost web like layer. I don't know if that would work better, but it is a bit heavier duty. Obviously I'm not an expert but I'd say to apply heavier or use the 90. I've heard that the water based adhesive for tolex works well. I think it's water based. Low VOC anyway. But I think its brush on. There is always regular old contact cement, assuming it's safe to use on tolex/vinyl.

Comment

I am not a fan of the spray glue stuff. Very difficult to get a smooth even coat. Seems to work for some people though. I prefer the brush on contact adhesives. Takes a lot longer than using a spray glue but gives better results in my opinion. Just make sure both surfaces are completely touch dry before bringing them together.

If you are in the UK I recommend using this stuff:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/220463087601

Brushes on nice and thin, and sets very strong. However does not seem to have a long shelf life before it goes a bit wierd in the tin. So make sure you use up all that you buy within a couple of weeks.
        www.bygonetones.com

Comment

Thank you both. I'm ordering some tolex glue from tubesandmore to see how I like it.

I did a test scrap with the 3M 77 and it worked pretty well after setting overnight. On the flat pieces it set really well. I peeled it off just to see how well it stuck and it was really on there. On the sides it wasn't as great but eh, I doubt anything is that great.

I'll do the same test w/ the tolex glue and see how it goes. I just want this finished already!

Comment

yep its trial and error. use whatever works for you.

I tried a lot of different glues before I settled on that wayside stuff. I once asked a cabinet builder what glue he uses and he recommended using the white water based stuff only for the thinner tolex such as the vox basketweave type stuff. for marshall tolex which is thicker he recommended the brush on contact adhesive.
            www.bygonetones.com

Comment

I have used Gorilla Glue for ripped tolex I have yet to have it lift on me.

Comment

Originally posted by bygone_tones View Post
                I am not a fan of the spray glue stuff. Very difficult to get a smooth even coat. Seems to work for some people though. I prefer the brush on contact adhesives. Takes a lot longer than using a spray glue but gives better results in my opinion. Just make sure both surfaces are completely touch dry before bringing them together.

If you are in the UK I recommend using this stuff:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/220463087601

Brushes on nice and thin, and sets very strong. However does not seem to have a long shelf life before it goes a bit wierd in the tin. So make sure you use up all that you buy within a couple of weeks.
                I haven't done any work with Tolex (seriously need to on my Hot Rod Deluxe) but I would second using a brush for even spreads.

Originally posted by Securb View Post
                I have used Gorilla Glue for ripped tolex I have yet to have it lift on me.
                Ha! Gorilla Glue is like the duct tape of glues. lol I don't recommend it, but my uncle repaired a tooth with that stuff...lasted until he couldmake it to the dentist. lol

Comment

You can get even coats with spray on but I agree that if I were doing an entire cabinet, I would use a brush on. I think the brush on is always going to be more durable, especially for something like tolex. I've brushed on contact cement to "laminate" MDF or ply speaker cabinets with finish "tops" and would never consider using a spray on for that type of thing, where I wanted to guarantee long term durability. As far as the ends go, the problem is that the end grain is porous and absorbs the adhesive. Also, less surface contact area (because it's porous). The key is multiple coats on the end grain. This would apply to any adhesive. Again, I'm not an expert on any of this. Just my experiences with projects and hobbies over the years.

Comment

Thanks everyone. That all makes sense. From what I'm reading it sounds like the contact cement for the majority is the way to go and maybe some 3M or super glue on corners/edges/seams.

More to come

Comment

Good question! Been watching this thread. my splawn has a couple little corner flaps that need glued down, was trying to figure out the best method.
                      Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

I bought this:

I really liked it on the test. It's easier for me to use than the 3M. While the 3M tends to dry to be very brittle & hard this stuff is a bit more gooey? While that might scare some folks away I don't think it should.

What I mean is this........after doings tests with each and waiting overnight I then went back and peeled each up a bit to see how strong the hold was and what it looked like.

The 3M held well but when peeled came off and the edges seemed to be a liability. As the tolex was coming up you could see the glue peeling back but most of it was hardened up and not offering much resistance. The 3M also tacked up super fast and once the tolex was put down it was on and not moving at all.

On the tolex glue it held great all the way to the edges, came off w/ a bit more tugging than the 3M but also had huge what I will call "legs" or strands of glue between the tolex & wood. It really wanted to hold on to it even as I was pulling it off. All in all, definitely behaved a lot more like the original glue I had taken off and seemed to seep into the nooks & crannies of the wood & tolex a bit more. It also took quite a bit longer to tack up which was good as it gave you enough time to work out the bubbles and pull it off and re-align if needed.

I am moving forward w/ the tubesand more tolex glue. I did the back panel and it came out great. Only issue was on a couple of the edges I didn't massage it into place quite enough to get a strong bond and didn't catch it till too late. That's just user error and won't be visible at all anyways. Glad I learned on that piece so I can do a better job on the rest of the cab this week.

Comment

Originally posted by blakejcan View Post
                          I bought this:

I really liked it on the test. It's easier for me to use than the 3M. While the 3M tends to dry to be very brittle & hard this stuff is a bit more gooey? While that might scare some folks away I don't think it should.

What I mean is this........after doings tests with each and waiting overnight I then went back and peeled each up a bit to see how strong the hold was and what it looked like.

The 3M held well but when peeled came off and the edges seemed to be a liability. As the tolex was coming up you could see the glue peeling back but most of it was hardened up and not offering much resistance. The 3M also tacked up super fast and once the tolex was put down it was on and not moving at all.

On the tolex glue it held great all the way to the edges, came off w/ a bit more tugging than the 3M but also had huge what I will call "legs" or strands of glue between the tolex & wood. It really wanted to hold on to it even as I was pulling it off. All in all, definitely behaved a lot more like the original glue I had taken off and seemed to seep into the nooks & crannies of the wood & tolex a bit more. It also took quite a bit longer to tack up which was good as it gave you enough time to work out the bubbles and pull it off and re-align if needed.

I am moving forward w/ the tubesand more tolex glue. I did the back panel and it came out great. Only issue was on a couple of the edges I didn't massage it into place quite enough to get a strong bond and didn't catch it till too late. That's just user error and won't be visible at all anyways. Glad I learned on that piece so I can do a better job on the rest of the cab this week.
                          I dabbled with some of that stuff for a while but couldnt get on with it. Too watery and wouldnt sit on the wood without forming drips. Also it is clearly something else that has been rebottled and relabelled as "tolex glue" to bump the price. I found some stuff in the UK called "no nonsense" liquid contact adhesive which is probably the same.

But Im going to stick with the brush on brown glue. Time consuming to apply but I know it gives excellent results and is very strong when set. I'll be restoring some vintage cabs soon so might post the results here.
                          www.bygonetones.com

Comment

Working...
                          X