Looking to get a new amp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking to get a new amp

Hey guys, I'm looking for a little point in the right direction on some amps to check out.

I currently play through a line 6 spider valve combo, 1x12, 40 watts or something like that, and I'm starting to dislike it. It gets really muddy really fast. It has a big low end, and sharp highs but the midrange is very muddy sounding. I do not need that sort of power anymore (moved into a smaller apartment) and I'm looking for something new to take its place.

I want something that is very responsive, or easy to tweak sounds. I don't play dead clean often at all, at best I'd like the amp to give me a "dirty clean" sound if that makes sense? I play just classic rock, and into some good heavier rock, no major metal, no major gain stuff but I do love a good crunch!

I'd prefer a combo, but I can get a head and cab if that's a better option. Any amp ideas, or tips in the right directly would be greatly appreciated!

I mostly play with a Gibson les paul, if that helps with what sound I'm putting into the amp.

Thanks!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

Re: Looking to get a new amp

What is your budget? I bought an EVH 5150iii 1x12 Combo about 4 months ago and it is fantastic!
    It's the best $1200 I've ever spent and I have seen them used for $900.
    They are punchy and will do everything from bedroom level to melt your face off and it's loud enough for any club and they have 3 channels that cover every tone you could possibly need.

Comment

Budget isn't a huge issue, mostly just want something that will sound good and fit the bill! That's what's important. I'd like it to sound good at low bedroom levels as well

Comment

Give the 5150iii combo a shot. I love it, it sounds fantastic thru every guitar I own.
        That Blue channel plugged into my Les Pauls is classic rock heaven!
        I use the Green channel as my blues channel and hit it with a dirt box.
        The Red channel is over the top liquid sustain.

Comment

What style of music do you mostly play? Which characteristics in an amp are important to you? (You said clean is important but there is so much more than that) Are you looking for a head or a combo? This will all help with recommendations.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff5 View Post
            What style of music do you mostly play? Which characteristics in an amp are important to you? (You said clean is important but there is so much more than that) Are you looking for a head or a combo? This will all help with recommendations.
            I play mostly rock, and punk. Characteristics I'd like to have are a good crunch, and good clarity. I'd like it to be low wattage (or switchable wattage), and I'd rather have a combo over a head. My music style is a lot like foo fighters if you'd like a good idea of the tone I'm going for.

Comment

A Roland Cube
              Sound great even at low volumes

*(Sent from my durned phone!)*
              EHD
              Just here surfing Guitar Pron
              RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
              SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
              Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
              Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
              Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
              Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
              GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Check out a Blackstar HT-5.

Comment

Marshall DSL 40C
                  sigpic
                  Gibson LP Trad Pro II->Various pedals->MEsa Boogie MkV->Owensby/219 Guitar Works Vertical Slant 2x12 w/WGS ET-65 and Veteran 30.

Comment

Thanks guys! I'm just making a list of amps to go try out here next trip out. Keep em coming!

Comment

Wait for a month or so and try out the new Fender Bassbreaker series. Demos of the 7 watt are out, and the others should follow shortly. They look good spec-wise...at least worth waiting for a trial IMO.

Comment

Working...
                      X