banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Greenback in a small closed back 1X12 cab?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greenback in a small closed back 1X12 cab?

Hi, does anyone have any experience with a Greenback in a small closed back 1X12 cab? I'm basically just wondering how you guys think this would sound? I've got a X2 Super Champ cab & I'm thinking about changing it's speaker.

It's got a Fender "special design" speaker in it now & it's not a bad speaker but it was designed with all the models on the X2 head in mind & I no longer own one? I'm running my Blackstar HT-5R through it now but I just acquired a new/used Greenback & I was thinking that may be more up the Blackstar head's ally?

Oh, I'll also probably be using it as a second 8 ohm cabinet for my Tiny Terror, I'm running that through a much deeper 8 ohm Greenback loaded 1/2 back 1X12 cabinet right now but sometimes that extra speaker comes in handy! Not that it really makes the 15 watts any louder but it does seem to fill up the room better. I'm mostly worried that the shallow closed back cabinet won't let the speaker breathe enough & create a vacuum, I want it to be able to push some air!!!
    I live in Northern New Hampshire, we shoot the things we don't understand here???

Re: Greenback in a small closed back 1X12 cab?

Provided that the cabinet is ported it should be fine, otherwise I'd expect it to sound boxy and weak. It isn't exactly the same, but I have an Egnater Rebel 112X (ported, closed-back 1x12) loaded with an Eminence Private Jack and it sounds good with all of the amps I've played through it.
    Originally posted by crusty philtrum
    And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

I've tried a Greenback G12M, G12H-55 and an Anniversary V30 in an old Randall RG-80 1x12 cab that I boxed in the back of, though some air escapes where the amp used to be (not completed sealed cab). With a mic in front of it it sounds like a 4x12. That cab is similar birch ply construction to a Marshall cab. That's the only reason I've kept it all these years - it sounds like a big cab.

Comment

yeah Im not a fan of 1x12's either unless it is a particularly big one. I think a larger cab like a 2x12 or 4x12 just sounds better even if it only has one speaker inside it.
        www.bygonetones.com

Comment

Originally posted by dystrust View Post
          Provided that the cabinet is ported it should be fine, otherwise I'd expect it to sound boxy and weak. It isn't exactly the same, but I have an Egnater Rebel 112X (ported, closed-back 1x12) loaded with an Eminence Private Jack and it sounds good with all of the amps I've played through it.
          As far as I can tell the cabinet is not ported? That's why I was a little concerned about the whole vacuum effect thingamajigs? I guess I could add a port or two but there's really not a lot of room in the front of it, its literally big enough for a 12in speaker & nothing else... I wonder how it would sound if I turned it into a 3/4 or 1/2 back cabinet, more open I'd imagine but its still a pretty shallow cab???

My other option & the more I think about it the further I lean towards this, is turning my Fender Stage 1000 into a 1X12 open back cabinet? Its basically just an amp stand right now anyway? I never use it anymore & the only thing in it aside from the solid state chassis is the speaker so there's no reverb tanks or anything to rattle around? Plus its a good size, almost the same size a Twin Reverb's cabinet & its built like a brick s#!thouse!!!
          I live in Northern New Hampshire, we shoot the things we don't understand here???

Comment

Originally posted by Nostalgic Distortion View Post
            As far as I can tell the cabinet is not ported? That's why I was a little concerned about the whole vacuum effect thingamajigs? I guess I could add a port or two but there's really not a lot of room in the front of it, its literally big enough for a 12in speaker & nothing else... I wonder how it would sound if I turned it into a 3/4 or 1/2 back cabinet, more open I'd imagine but its still a pretty shallow cab???

My other option & the more I think about it the further I lean towards this, is turning my Fender Stage 1000 into a 1X12 open back cabinet? Its basically just an amp stand right now anyway? I never use it anymore & the only thing in it aside from the solid state chassis is the speaker so there's no reverb tanks or anything to rattle around? Plus its a good size, almost the same size a Twin Reverb's cabinet & its built like a brick s#!thouse!!!
            Judging by the speaker it's loaded with along with the dimensions and general design, I'd be surprised if that Super Champ cab wasn't ported. They don't appear to be rear-ported, so maybe remove the back panel and see if there are any circular holes or possibly a slot in the front baffle. The Egnater Rebel 112X is front-ported though it doesn't appear to be so at first glance. As beaubrummels has pointed out a mic can't tell that it isn't a 4x12, but it's a hell of a lot easier to carry.

If the cab isn't actually ported you'd be better off selling it and getting something that is. It may be tempting to try and port it yourself, but the position and size of a port needs to be done correctly or you'll end up with a cab with farting bass, a whistling port, or both.
            Originally posted by crusty philtrum
            And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Suppose I should probably at least open it once before making any plans for it? it could have some kind of port that's just not super apparent, really it should! Having a box that size completely sealed up & un-ported just doesn't make sense? Not unless there's something very special about the special design speaker....

Comment

Working...
              X