Marshall vs Orange Heads and Cabs.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Marshall vs Orange Heads and Cabs.

its about the tone. do you want to sound like a marshall or do you want to sound like an Orange.
    Crash49 - my music on amazon and itunes
    http://a.co/8ht5Qes

Comment

Judging by his age (i.e. just getting his first job) I think he will like the orange better because it saturates better on its own. I LOVE my 800 and would take it over a rockerverb any day, but 10 years ago I probably would have prefered the orange for that reason exactly.

Also, go get yourself a part time job ASAP like your alluding to. There's no such thing an an appealing workplace when your still in HS but that extra cash will come in handy for gear purchases and maintenance.
      TOUQUE ROCK...EH???? I AM CANADIAN

Comment

Originally posted by Progbusters View Post
        its about the tone. do you want to sound like a marshall or do you want to sound like an Orange.
        That's the first consideration. Newer Oranges sound closer to Marshalls than the old ones with an FAC control, but they've still got a different feel and texture. I'd love to have an Orange Overdrive 80 with the FAC control while the new ones really don't do it for me. OTOH if the OP really digs the Rockerverb, a Marshall won't really do that.

Originally posted by Kamanda~SD View Post
        Judging by his age (i.e. just getting his first job) I think he will like the orange better because it saturates better on its own. I LOVE my 800 and would take it over a rockerverb any day, but 10 years ago I probably would have prefered the orange for that reason exactly.

Also, go get yourself a part time job ASAP like your alluding to. There's no such thing an an appealing workplace when your still in HS but that extra cash will come in handy for gear purchases and maintenance.
        +1

An amp with more saturation will be much more satisfying to someone that isn't used to playing through tube amps. I didn't really care for 2203/2204s when I started playing and wasn't blown away by my 2555 Jubilee at first because I just didn't have the chops to make them sound decent. When I first got my Jubilee I was using a JB and had the gain on the amp dimed and it was almost too clean. These days as I've learned to control my playing better I run the gain on about 6 and find anything more too saturated.

Another thing to consider is versatility. The Plexi RI, JCM800, and my Jubilee are all one trick ponies. It's a great trick if it's what you're after, but you're not going to get a bunch of good but different sounds from the same amp. The Jubilee is sort of two channels, but they share a gain control so the 'clean' channel is usable though not great if you've got a good OD tone dialed in. If you dial it in for the clean sound, the OD mode will probably be weak and the EQ balance may be a bit off. Both the Plexi and 2203/2204 are single channel amps. The Plexi is FAR too loud to overdrive on its own, so you'd be stuck running it clean with a pedal which I understand you're doing with the AC-30 now. Getting 70s & early 80s metal tones from a 2203/2204 requires a boost pedal which you could turn off and roll back your volume to get clean, but it'd be similar to the semi-clean the Jubilee is capable of.

With the Rockerverb or a DSL you've got two channels with completely separate gain & volume, so a good clean sound would be a single button push away. The JVM Jolly recommended has either 2 or 4 channels depending on which model you pick.
        Originally posted by crusty philtrum
        And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Thanks for the input guys! I'm taking everything I see into consideration.

Comment

I'm leaning toward the rockerverb, it seems to be the most versatile, from what i have seen.

Comment

The Greenback thing is only all that important if you had decided to go with the plexi.

I understand from the other thread that the Orange is head and cab. The Orange cab will probably be best with Orange head. I think the Orange amp will be the best way to go for you right now.

On edit:I meant this message for the other thread.....lol
              Last edited by Lake Placid Blues; 11-13-2015, 06:54 PM.

Comment

Oh alright. I think I'v decided to go the Orange rout, maybe I'll eventually get a Marshall.

Comment

Difference between a Compact 4x12 and a regular size 4x12?, both Orange.

Comment

Originally posted by Name that is a User View Post
                    Difference between a Compact 4x12 and a regular size 4x12?, both Orange.
                    A few inches in height and width, and some compromise in construction. This will affect the sound (based on my experience with a variety of cabs, though I don't have direct experience with these particular Orange cabs). You're going to have to choose whether the price point is more important than the sound.

Comment

Ok Ok, But what if you used a 2x12 cab with the rockerverb, would you loose some of the low end and would it sound worse or just different? The sound samples I heard with that combination sound very good.

Comment

I own an orange thunderverb 50 and two 212PPCs orange cabs. I used to own a Marshall jcm900 and boy was it a treble spike from hell! it hated my 212PPC orange too, really bad match and I dont like that much treble. I love a jcm800 2204 stack but I dont really play that style, Im more into chugga chugga doom out type stuffl.

Comment

Ok Ok, But what if you used a 2x12 cab with the rockerverb, would you loose some of the low end and would it sound worse or just different? The sound samples I heard with that combination sound very good.
                          If you mic a speaker in the cabinet, you might not notice as much. If you are wanting the sound in the room to have good low end, the cabinet and it's construction becomes even more important.

Some notes: The air space behind the speakers in the cabinet provides a particular amount of dampening that affects the frequency response of the speaker. Also, with less speakers you are pushing less cubic feet of air, so you lose some distance projection - e.g. what the cabinet sounds like from 5 feet away and what it sounds like from 20 feet will vary more with less speakers/smaller cabinet.

Comment

Cool, thanks. Today I saw a Laney VH100 used head, how would this compare to the rockerverb. It caught my attention because it's way cheaper than a used Rockerverb.

Comment

Cool, thanks. Today I saw a Laney VH100 used head, how would this compare to the rockerverb. It caught my attention because it's way cheaper than a used Rockerverb.
                              Tonewise Laneys are closer to Marshalls than they are to Oranges. You really need to play all of the amps you've been looking into and go with the one that makes the most sense to you.

Which one sounds the best for a price you're willing to pay while also covering your tone / volume needs? That's the amp to buy.
                              Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                              And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Makes sense, thanks.

Comment

Working...
                                X