Palmer PGA-04 speaker simulator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Palmer PGA-04 speaker simulator

I've had the opportunity to plug a few different guitars through my Mark IV head into one of these in two different studios, and today the guy behind the board offered to sell it to me.

Mic + cab has been good, but this Palmer could be useful for more control both live and for home recording. It seems a little more realistic than the recording out on my head, and I bet if I took some time to play with its controls and EQ in our DAW, I could get a great sound myself.

I'm tempted by it because it's in good shape, this particular unit has some history behind it, and well... As a gigging guitarist who's done a lot of recording in the last year, maybe it would come in handy?

What's a fair price for a used PGA-04? Any opinions on it?
    • EBMM JPX BFR (Crunch Lab/Liquifire)
    • Schecter C-1 Classic (Custom8/Jazz)
    • Mayones Duvell 7 Standard (Instrumental SFTY-3/Decomp)
    • G&L Tribute Comanche
    • Godin Stadium 59 (Custom Cajun/'59)
    • Horizon Precision Drive --> Fulltone FB3/FD 2 --> Crybaby From Hell (Fasel) --> Boss BF-2 --> CH-1 --> TC Flashback X4
    • Mesa/Boogie Mark IV-B (SED =C= 6L6) + EarCandy BuzzBomb 2x12 (V30/C90)

Re: Palmer PGA-04 speaker simulator

I have a little experience with the Palmers. I tried a couple out last year before buying my Two Notes Torpedo Live. They work on a similar premise, though, as a reactive load box and speaker simulator. The Torpedo Live gave me a little more variety in the speaker simulations, but was twice as much $$ new than the Palmer. I would think that since I was finding new Palmers for about $600, you should be able to find nice used units for less than that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I've always been interested in those. Sorry I can't help you. However, I think I saw one for sale on Reverb.com for around $450 or so.

Comment

The JDX, F.A.N.T.A., Red Box and Aiken Gold Brick are all cheaper than the Palmers and perform just as well.

The F.A.N.T.A. is pretty cheap and sounds as good as the Palmer if not a little better.

You just don't see Palmer PGA-04 units for sale used very often... only one right now on eBay. For the price of them new, they are as much as the Two Notes Torpedo C.A.B. which is a superior unit.

Unless he wants to sell it for $200 or less, I'd pass.
        Best amp tech I've ever had and hands down one of the best electronic/sound wizards in the NC Piedmont.

Comment

Unfortunately, the FANTA, Red Box and CAB are only speaker simulators. All are good at what they do. However, unless you are still running a parallel out to a cabinet, you still need the load box piece of the PGA or Torpedo Live or you run the risk of damaging the amp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks for the input so far, I hadn't heard of the other units mentioned but I like the idea of not needing any external power or having to plug in a cab at all. The Two Notes unit looks pretty cool, but is probably more flexibility than I would need.

Admittedly I don't want to spend more than a few hundred bucks. I'll see if I can talk him down in price, fingers crossed
            • EBMM JPX BFR (Crunch Lab/Liquifire)
            • Schecter C-1 Classic (Custom8/Jazz)
            • Mayones Duvell 7 Standard (Instrumental SFTY-3/Decomp)
            • G&L Tribute Comanche
            • Godin Stadium 59 (Custom Cajun/'59)
            • Horizon Precision Drive --> Fulltone FB3/FD 2 --> Crybaby From Hell (Fasel) --> Boss BF-2 --> CH-1 --> TC Flashback X4
            • Mesa/Boogie Mark IV-B (SED =C= 6L6) + EarCandy BuzzBomb 2x12 (V30/C90)

Comment

Originally posted by zenmindbeginner View Post
              Two Notes Torpedo C.A.B.
              Those are supposed to be rather badass. I should sell a couple of my cabinets and buy one of those.

Comment

Working...
              X