banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I turn my Randall RVC (RD5 combo) into a head?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I turn my Randall RVC (RD5 combo) into a head?

... or should I sell it and find something else?

I have this Randall RVC (it's a Guitar Center exclusive version of the RD5 combo) that I used to practice at home. It's ok. I have spent lots of effort to get an inspiring tone out of it, and it does sound good... to an extent. I replaced the speaker with a Celestion G10 Greenback, and I'm running a Tung Sol 12AX7 in V1, a Ruby 12AX7AC5 in V2, and a JJ 6V6S for power, and it sounds MUCH better than it did stock...

It does sound good. However, it does not sound GREAT. The biggest part, I guess, is the 10" speaker in the tiny crappy MDF cab the combo is locked inside because it does sound better through my Marshall 4x12. However, even through my Marshall 4x12, it does not sound as good as either my Krank Rev Jr. or Peavey XXX. I guess that is because it is a 5-watt amp, after all...

So here comes the question... should I build a headcase for it and run it through a nice 1x12" to practice at home, or should I sell it altogether and find something else that sounds better? And here comes the dilemma... is there anything in the 5-watt tube practice amp league that even sounds "better" for high-gain? I don't play cleans. I don't need crunchy mid-gain tones... I just need a blistering high-gain sound, and that's it. Is it even worth trying to find something "better" or is this as good as a practice amp gets? Because obviously running a half stack to practice alongside my laptop is not an option.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 11-16-2015, 01:13 PM.

Re: Should I turn my Randall RVC (RD5 combo) into a head?

Can it run larger octal power tubes? Or can the transformer/rectifier be replaced so you can run larger octal power tubes? I think 6V6 has a particular sound and limit.

I bet it sounds really good based on your description. I play the lower gain break up stuff and that would be a great amp for that.

Comment

I sent an email to Randall asking if I could run larger tubes. They said no. I still ran a Sovtek 5881 for a couple of months. The amp survived.

Problem is that was back when I was using the stock speaker which had a tiny magnet. When I replaced it with the Greenback, the 6L6 didn't fit anymore because everything is very crammed inside the combo's cabinet. I was forced to run the JJ 6V6S, which is smaller yet kinda 6L6-ish, anyway. I liked the Sovtek better, but marginally so. Thinking that might be a +1 for making it into a head, though. I could run a 6L6 again in it if I wanted.

Comment

i think it will sound good as a head but its not a very powerful amp. i have one as i mentioned before
        Crash49 - my music on amazon and itunes
        http://a.co/8ht5Qes

Comment

I had one; it sounded good, but there is something inescapable about small Class-A amps that no cabinet or speaker can remedy; they 'buzz', for want of a better word. Some love it, some don't; after modding a VJ to death and then owning the Randall RVC, I have come to the conclusion that there's no way to make me like a Class A amp.

YMMV, of course.

Larry

Comment

Thanks for the replies, dudes!

I'm not sure if its a Class A thing. Could you elaborate a bit on that, Larry? I have a buddy who I jam with that has the RD1H which is Class AB. His was noticeably less bright/harsh when we plugged it into my 4x12, but we didn't really thoroughly compared the feel of both.
            Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 11-17-2015, 12:41 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X