banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have a preamp, please suggest a cab simulation software.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have a preamp, please suggest a cab simulation software.

I have an AMT SS-20 and I love the thing so far a lot, finally i was able to love the lead channel using my charvel socal. I also love the clean and crunch with my Strat that has different pickups. Only home recording so far but for live rig I already have a ISP Stealth and already have decided for a cab and a speaker but I would like to try something else before buying the speaker: Maybe I can use some modeling software just for the poweramp and cab sections and try different speakers (Celestions and Eminence mainly) and have a slight better understanding of some speaker difference. Thing here in my home city is you dont get spare cabs for testing, USD currency makes it near impossible for resellers to keep a stock and most are brougth as a paid order.

Edit: I have a recording interface Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
    Last edited by IMENATOR; 11-18-2015, 01:55 PM.
    Who took my guitar?

Re: I have a preamp, please suggest a cab simulation software.

Amplitube. You can get a ton of different amps on there. They even just released a Mesa Boogie pack.

PositiveGrid Bias is another simulation software that is really taking off.

Both of these are VST's though and must be used through a DAW program like Reaper. If you get a DAW, then check out LePou and Ignite. They make amp emulations to be used in DAW's and Ignite even makes a few pedals. All fo their stuff sounds awesome.
    Schecter ATX Blackjack C7 BKP Painkiller (B) and Abraxas (N)
    Hagstrom Hj800 Jazzbox stock pickups
    Fender Jazz Bass EMG MJ Set
    Music Man SUB Ray5 stock pickups
    Line 6 Helix
    Dunlop Strings and Picks

The opinions expressed above are my own and do not reflect normal levels of sanity.

Comment

IRs give you a recorded tone (with microphones), so they're not going to tell you what a speaker cabinet sounds like.

For home recording though, Ignite and Lepou both have free IR loaders, so I'd try both.

Director of Arizona Young Voters Initiative

https://www.azyoungvoters.org

Twitter:
      @ArizonaVoters

Comment

LeCab is good.

Comment

Originally posted by dominus View Post
          IRs give you a recorded tone (with microphones), so they're not going to tell you what a speaker cabinet sounds like.
          This.

You'll get a general idea of whether a given speaker will accentuate a given frequency, at least according to the mic that was used by whoever made the impulse response. Free IRs don't always use top-quality, full-range mics, so what you hear could be radically different from reality. Some of the IR packs for sale cost nearly as much as a decent 2x12 cab with a decent pair of speakers.
          Originally posted by Brown Note
          I'm soooooo jealous about the WR-1. It's the perfect guitar; fantastic to play, balances well even when seated and *great* reach for the upper frets. The sound is bright tight and very articulate. In summary it could only be more awesome if it had b00bs and was on fire!
          My Blog

Comment

Originally posted by DrNewcenstein View Post
            This.

You'll get a general idea of whether a given speaker will accentuate a given frequency, at least according to the mic that was used by whoever made the impulse response. Free IRs don't always use top-quality, full-range mics, so what you hear could be radically different from reality. Some of the IR packs for sale cost nearly as much as a decent 2x12 cab with a decent pair of speakers.
            Don't let that discourage you though. A lot of the free IRs sound better than the paid ones with proper EQing. I've bought a lot of them but still keep going back to a free one that I've EQ'd for "live" playing, as it sounds perfect through my monitors in my room. I'd recommend going the IR route for recording, but then pick up a cab that sounds decent for live playing if you're in a band.

Director of Arizona Young Voters Initiative

https://www.azyoungvoters.org

Twitter:
            @ArizonaVoters

Comment

Two Notes Torpedo Wall Of Sound has some great, free options. And the IRs they sell are reasonably priced.
              Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
              My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Working...
              X