banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I Need Another Amp Like I Need a Hole In The Head, But...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Need Another Amp Like I Need a Hole In The Head, But...

So I've already got more amps than I need, I've got more amps than is really practical but I also have "The Bargain Sickness", meaning that I've got a very hard time passing up a great bargain on gear. This "Sickness" has served me quite well more times than not but on the other hand the old saying that when something seems to good to be true it usually is has struck a chord more than once too?

The amp in question is a very clean looking Marshall MA50H head & I can bring it home for $350! I've read the reviews and from what I could gather their not the best things out of the Marshall plant but they are not awful either? The clean CH is supposed to be great but the dirt CH is essentially garbage unless you've got the amp cranking! The words fizzy & thin came up a lot but honestly I'm mostly interested in the clean CH anyway as I get most of my dirt from pedals? As far as the gain CH I like to set it to where it will break up if I hit the strings hard but stay clean otherwise.

So first off, if you were me and in my position would you buy this amp? Secondly, if anyone has any actual experience with this pictular head please let me know what you think about it. Thanks!!!!
    I live in Northern New Hampshire, we shoot the things we don't understand here???

Re: I Need Another Amp Like I Need a Hole In The Head, But...

Originally posted by Nostalgic Distortion View Post
    "The Bargain Sickness"
    So that's what that's called. I'm the king of that...lol

Comment

Originally posted by JOLLY View Post
      So that's what that's called. I'm the king of that...lol
      Yes! It was a newly named disease in Johns Hopkins Journal last year, for some reason it only targets musicians???? I heard they are mapping out ways to divert its spread via The Human Genome Project.... Fingers crossed, but until then???
      I live in Northern New Hampshire, we shoot the things we don't understand here???

Comment

Until then, don't buy that MA unless you're 100% positive you can flip it back for what you paid.
        I tried one of those and it was pretty atrocious. And the clean channel isn't very good; it has a very stiff response and it sounds very cold, so your lovely distortion pedals will resemble the sound of a chainsaw more than anything else.
        Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
        Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
        Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
        Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

I'll sell you a Vox Valvetronix 60W blue grill head for $350. The Vox will blow that Marshall head away in every way. It's in mint condition too.
          Originally posted by Boogie Bill
          I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

I'm a Marshall guy...would not take an MA no matter how the bargain. The Valvestates even clean these up. Any Marshall with 'M' as the starting letter usually is atrocious (MG, MA).
            TOUQUE ROCK...EH???? I AM CANADIAN

Comment

Avoid

Marshall Fanboy here.

Avoid.

Its not a bargain if it sucks...
              I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser View Post
                I'll sell you a Vox Valvetronix 60W blue grill head for $350. The Vox will blow that Marshall head away in every way. It's in mint condition too.
                I'm a man of much VOX!!! Lol, I've got a AC-15C2 Twin & a AC-30CC2 already but thanks!

Comment

Thanks for talking me out of a stupid move guys! Seriously, the sickness runs deep!!!

Comment

Just tighten your parameters.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Kamanda~SD View Post
                      I'm a Marshall guy...would not take an MA no matter how the bargain. The Valvestates even clean these up. Any Marshall with 'M' as the starting letter usually is atrocious (MG, MA).
                      +1 I've only played the MA100, but it was horrible. I wasn't expecting much considering that it's a MIC bargain amp, but it still managed to disappoint me. If I needed an amp badly and only entry level Marshalls were available, I would confidently take a VS100 or even an MG100 every time. That $350 price seems like a bargain, but I'm not sure I could flip one for that.
                      Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                      And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Working...
                      X