banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The best $500 amp for blues, jazz, classic rock?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The best $500 amp for blues, jazz, classic rock?

Hey guys!

I'm looking to upgrade my amplifier to go along with my new guitar (humbucking single cut, very Les Paul-like). I have a budget of about USD $500 at the maximum and don't at all mind buying used. The amp will used for bedroom playing, medium-sized band jazz concerts, and blues rehearsals/small venue performances, so I don't need a butt-ton of wattage but don't want to settle for something that can't cut through a band.

I mainly play blues, jazz, and 70s-80s rock. My favorite guitarists whose tone I like are Jimi, Satriani, SRV, Wes Montgomery, Joe Pass, Chet Atkins, Santana, Clapton, and Mark Knopfler (a very diverse mix, I know). I really like beautiful Fender cleans plus maybe a tube screamer for some drive SRV style, and I don't really need a whole lot of gain, so Marshall and related amps are pretty much out.

So far I'm thinking my best bet might be a Blues Deluxe, Deluxe Reverb, Traynor YBA-1 head + cab, or a Bassman head + cab (for a bit more money). Which of these do you think would be essentially the best overall amp for my budget, or do you have any better suggestions?

Thanks!

Re: The best $500 amp for blues, jazz, classic rock?

Allways loved the deluxe reverb sound .to me it has a natural sound to it.And to me jazzyblues chords sound so beautiful but u might want to check out u tube on the 68 reissue

Comment

See if you budget can stretch to a deluxe reverb. It doesn't matter if its an old one, or a 65 or 68 reissue. They all have the sound.
      Get your hands on one of those and in the years ahead you can do smaller things like tube swaps,speaker swaps and so some pedal shuffling knowing that whatever you use, your base tone will be killer. It is also an amp that you can use in any sized venue and on any stage and you will always have good tone.
      "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
      Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Deluxe Reverb would be the best if you can find one in that range BUT I would also suggest a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe/Blues Deluxe or a Fender Blues Jr. If you can find a Mesa Boogie DC in that price range then I would consider one of those as well.

My Hot Rod Deluxe takes pedals better than any amp I've owned. I swapped the first 12AX7 with a 12AT7 and it seriously helped the volume level for bedroom levels as well as added more clean head room...simple mod with exceptional results!

Comment

While I would normally recommend a Mesa, you'll be hard-pressed to find one at this price. But almost any Fender amp will do the job with a couple of good dirt boxes. (I don't care for Fender's OD tones in their amps.) The Custom Vibrolux is one of my faves, but a DRRI, Super Sonic, Hot Rod or ProSonic would work. There's nothing wrong with going with a British-flavored amp if the material demands it.

And another great do-all amp is the Peavey Classic 50 in 212 or 410 versions. These can do just about any style. I prefer my Mesas for their build-quality, features, tone and versatility, but a lot of guys get it done with a Classic 50.

Bill
          When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

Peavey Classic 30 or Classic 50. Great amps for the money. Made in USA, all tube, built like tanks, great sound, and very very loud.
            “The hell with the rules. If it sounds right, then it is.” - Edward Van Halen

Comment

Originally posted by dotsdad View Post
              Peavey Classic 30 or Classic 50. Great amps for the money. Made in USA, all tube, built like tanks, great sound, and very very loud.
              How do the Classic 30 and 50 compare to the Peavey Delta Blues in terms of sounds?

Comment

hot rod deluxe

Comment

Originally posted by Mukobi View Post
                  How do the Classic 30 and 50 compare to the Peavey Delta Blues in terms of sounds?
                  Delta Blues is a Classic 30 with different speaker options (2x10 or 1x15 instead of 1x12)

Comment

Originally posted by chadd View Post
                    Delta Blues is a Classic 30 with different speaker options (2x10 or 1x15 instead of 1x12)
                    Upon further examination of the Peavey manuels for each product, it seems that only the Classic 50 has a presence knob and only the Delta Blues 115 and 210 have a tremolo circuit.

Comment

Originally posted by Mukobi View Post
                      Upon further examination of the Peavey manuels for each product, it seems that only the Classic 50 has a presence knob and only the Delta Blues 115 and 210 have a tremolo circuit.
                      Forgot about the tremolo, I was thinking about the basic voicing of the amp. I guess I should have said that it was descended (or evolved) from the Classic 30.

Comment

Can you push your budget with $180.00 ?

IF so, this amp CAN do it all :

Blues - easy

Jazz - no problem

Classic Rock - this amp was mode for it.
                        Tele, SG, LP Jr, '76 Ibanez Artist & Tokai LS92 + FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / '73 Orange OR120 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Orange Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 / Marshall Vintage Modern 50 & 2X12 Genz Benz g-Flex / Laney Klipp / Laney AOR Pro Tube 100

"...it's a tree with a microphone" - Leslie West

Comment

$550.00 BIN

Tele, SG, LP Jr, '76 Ibanez Artist & Tokai LS92 + FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / '73 Orange OR120 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Orange Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 / Marshall Vintage Modern 50 & 2X12 Genz Benz g-Flex / Laney Klipp / Laney AOR Pro Tube 100

"...it's a tree with a microphone" - Leslie West

Comment

Working...
                          X