Gassing for a 65 Amps Tupelo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gassing for a 65 Amps Tupelo

Heard one and want one. It's not often I get amp gas. Anyone have one?

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Re: Gassing for a 65 Amps Tupelo

havent tried a tupalo but the other 65 amps ive been lucky enough to plug into sounded great!

Comment

It's supposed to be their take on tweed. Then I read someone say it was their take on blackface. I guess I should just email Dan and ask!

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

Comment

Originally posted by Scott_F View Post
        It's supposed to be their take on tweed. Then I read someone say it was their take on blackface. I guess I should just email Dan and ask!
        I have the combo. I'd say it's more tweed than black face. Plenty of power to gig with and quite dirty when up past noon.
        It never cleans up on it's own. Even with PAF output buckets, you must back off the guitar volume to get some clean tone. Bias tremolo is from subtle and slow to throb and medium (speed). Never choppy like some optical based trems. Good useable loop. I run a delay or chorus through it. Extremely well built too. I wish the smooth switch was foot switchable

Fenders: '69 CS Strat; Hwy1 Strat SSL2's, SSL3T;CP Jaguar
        Gibsons: LP DC STD Seth & Brobucker; LP STD Plus PGn & CC; (2)ES-335's; LP R7 Custom SNS & C4; LP '68 Custom '59A4 & C5; LP Trad 2014 PG & SNS; Explorer PG & C4; SG Std '57 & BB3;
        Jacksons: SL2H w/DMZ AN & Super D; DK1 w/59 & C5; Dinky Elite, DK2 w/AN & AZ, RR5FR
        Marshall 2550 Silver Jubilee; JMP 2203, Vox AC15C1; Gibson Super Goldtone GA30RV; Suhr CAA-OD100SE+, CAA PT100; Fender Vibrolux Reverb

Comment

looks sweet. im guessing its cleaner if you use a strat with vintage style single coils. hows the bump?

Comment

65 Amps are sweet. I haven't played the Tupelo, but I was lucky enough to spend about an hour on The Whiskey Head.

My reaction was like that of Homer Simpson, when he eats doughnuts.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
              looks sweet. im guessing its cleaner if you use a strat with vintage style single coils. hows the bump?
              Good question.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                Yes low output singles are cleaner at low gain levels but it doesn't take much preamp volume and breakup is back. The amp is very sensitive to pick attack.
                The bump is predominantly a midrange boost. Great for lead lines and soloing but I prefer it off for heavy chord stuff.
                The Smooth switch has a greater influence across all frequencies and adds more saturation. That's why I would like to have that footswitchable as well as the Bump.

Fenders: '69 CS Strat; Hwy1 Strat SSL2's, SSL3T;CP Jaguar
                Gibsons: LP DC STD Seth & Brobucker; LP STD Plus PGn & CC; (2)ES-335's; LP R7 Custom SNS & C4; LP '68 Custom '59A4 & C5; LP Trad 2014 PG & SNS; Explorer PG & C4; SG Std '57 & BB3;
                Jacksons: SL2H w/DMZ AN & Super D; DK1 w/59 & C5; Dinky Elite, DK2 w/AN & AZ, RR5FR
                Marshall 2550 Silver Jubilee; JMP 2203, Vox AC15C1; Gibson Super Goldtone GA30RV; Suhr CAA-OD100SE+, CAA PT100; Fender Vibrolux Reverb

Comment

Fulfilled my GAS. used Tupelo here and running. Played it for a while then swapped out some of the JJ's and put Brimar's in 6V6 and PI.

Very nice amp. Great build quality. Fantastic tone. It's definitely not a circuit I've recognized easily. I'm not really too big yet on the master voltage thing but the freaking Tremolo is perhaps the best I've ever played. It's pretty much ambivalent on what guitar you plug in. They all sound great.

Silly things I like. The size of the cab is a bit deeper than a lot of amps. I like the way that sounds. I like the pulsating tremolo light to help you set the speed. I like that between the normal, the bump and the smooth switch, you've got three versions of the gain. The bump is foot switchable so it is a nice boost. I've not put any pedals in front of it yet.

They put this little square of metal up along side the top edge of the chassis. There is foil shielding on the cabinet cover piece that goes over the chassis. I think, have not figured out why exactly for sure, but I believe that little metal chunk about the thickness of a nickel 5 cent coin, is to ensure contact is made between the chassis and the foil shielding? Other than that, no idea. Probably should google it.

Dang fine amp. I'm not sure really where to place its tonal geography. It's got some British thing going on the jangly end of things and some american fullness in the mids and upper bass. It doesn't sound like the Bruno Vox. I really think they've managed to some up with it's own voice and not really relying on mimicking anything else necessarily. Thumbs up.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

Comment

nice review! still havent come across one yet but im sure i will. look forward to trying it out

Comment

I think I heard DAn in one his videos say they've sold 5000 amps. I have no idea how long ago that was but you would think there would be more used ones in stores. But not around here.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

Comment

Follow up report. This amp is eating up my heritage 535 with the Seth lovers in it. It does well with my other guitars but the 535 is its soul mate.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

Comment

Working...
                        X