banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the best value amp in your opinion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What is the best value amp in your opinion?

Originally posted by DrNewcenstein View Post
    The one that does what I need it to do, when I need it to do it, at the volume I need it to do it.
    The Old Johnson amplifiers. One of the first modeling amplifiers. I own the Mirage JT-50 solid state. It used to be over 800 dollars. And the others over a grand. Now you can find them cheap. Most will not
    touch them. A pawnshop brand. Lol. They was never made for a pawnshop. Line 6 came first? No. Scott Grove uses them so I can't? Why? Stupid who cares who uses them! But they have built in effects. Some of the effects in the Johnson Millenium dose a few things that new amplifiers do not. And they go for crazy cheap money. The amplifiers models is spot on. And it can also be hooked up to a PC. But that feature is useless. Unless you want Scott Grove patches lol. But they are great amplifiers. Only downfall is the presets suck. And the amplifiers are to heavy. They weigh a lot.

But you can get some great sounds out of them. The other not mine has tube/ solid state power like a Vox Modeling amplifier.

The Vox chrome modeling amplifiers are great. I own one. It is a tube/ solid state power. It rocked. I got it used. It plays like a dream. Effects are great. Presets are nice and you can save your own presets with overwriting the built in effects like on the Johnson's. But their effects sucked anyway. You can get some rare amp models out of it and have the best of both worlds. I love the Vox amplifier sound more than any other sounds. So they are made really well. Only downfall is a small problem with the tube. They seem to need to be replaced a lot. But besides that they are great amplifiers. All under 300 dollars used. Even the 30 watt. I love the chrome grill. Most did not. No grill cloth to get nasty and never needs replaced. Cool.

Comment

Silverface Fenders - durable, versatile with pedals/preamps, great modding platforms (many Silverface renditions of classic Blackface amps can easily be changed to Blackface specs), and can be had for real cheap. Usually you can find any Silverface model in the ~$500 ballpark (unless it's in pristine condition or the seller is delusional about the street value).
      Last edited by Myaccount876; 01-30-2016, 12:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Myaccount876 View Post
        Silverface Fenders - durable, versatile with pedals/preamps, great modding platforms (many Silverface renditions of classic Blackface amps can easily be changed to Blackface specs), and can be had for real cheap. Usually you can find any Silverface model in the ~$500 ballpark (unless it's in pristine condition or the seller is delusional about the street value).
        Unfortunately that is not the case anymore. Many can be had in that range for sure, Bassman heads, I've seen a few Bandmaster heads. Typically Twins before you factor in shipping. However, Deluxe Reverbs, even the late 70's models, tend to go for at least $800-1000, and more often into the $1200-1500+ range. The secret is out with the Silverface amps.
        Go Packers!

Comment

Originally posted by Matt42 View Post
          Unfortunately that is not the case anymore. Many can be had in that range for sure, Bassman heads, I've seen a few Bandmaster heads. Typically Twins before you factor in shipping. However, Deluxe Reverbs, even the late 70's models, tend to go for at least $800-1000, and more often into the $1200-1500+ range. The secret is out with the Silverface amps.
          It may just be that I'm in Los Angeles then - enough people still want either boutique amps or Blackfaces that Silverfaces are still "undesireable". The problem is sometimes just finding one that isn't trashed to hell.

Comment

Working...
          X